When NHL Buys The Ducks...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kevin Forbes

Jul 29, 2002
Nova Scotia
www.kforbesy.ca
snakepliskin said:
so--the ducks could abuse a cap (if one is implemented) by signing free agents as employees of disney and giving them a job description of say stuntmen or extras of the next duck movie ( mighty ducks 25-the revival of emilio's career) and with disneys bankroll they could pretty much destroy the rangers corner on the market of overpaying semi-average players!

the same could be said with Colorado hiring "Wal-Mart Employees" or Boston hiring "Concession Workers"
the fact that Disney is the parent owner of Anaheim Sports Inc. has very little to do with the day to day operation of the Mighty Ducks of Anaheim.

This is an interesting story, and I'm saddened that you all took it as an opportunity just to slag on a team name and a logo. Yes, Yes, they're owned by Disney. Ha ha, Mickey Mouse, Ha ha Emilio Estevez. Not every team can be in the Original Six.
I would suspect the NHL has the same plan to take over any team that is sold at under market value. Remember how they stepped in with Ottawa and Buffalo, this is probably just another incarnation of that. It was reported because it was the LA Times, thus it was local news and Anaheim Sports Inc. is looking to sell the Mighty Ducks of Anaheim, thus it is relevant news.
Also with negotiations ongoing with four groups including the owners of the Arrowhead Pond (apparently they were contacted to increase their bid if they wished to remain serious in the running). So I would suspect this "leak" of information is just a ploy to make sure all the interested groups are making valid bids that are worthy of consideration.
This NHL plan would only come into play if these four groups drop out or don't submit valid bids. I would suspect Arrowhead Pond would do anything in its power to make sure the Mighty Ducks of Anaheim stay in Anaheim, as their facility is near useless if it doesn't.

Here's the LA Times article that provides more (and clearer information)
http://www.latimes.com/sports/hocke...headlines-sports-nhl-ducks&ctrack=1&cset=true
Also reading the other thread on this will provide some more info, for those interested
http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=127927

Last edited:

Superfluous U

Jan 15, 2004
At a Stone Prison on a Hill
krandor said:
I know - I laughed when I first heard that is what they were going to name then. Name an NHL team after a pretty bad kid's movie.
:shakehead

HEY! Make fun of the team, the ownership, and the name all you want. But leave the movie alone. I loved that movie when I was little.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
snakepliskin said:
on the fan 590 one day last week they interviewed the former owner of the whalers , i cannot remember his name though, but he said that he was interested in buying the ducks and moving them to hartford, it may not have been fan 590 now that i think about it, it may have been maddens redio show in pittsburgh (i was checking several radio stations last week during all the rumour mongering during the meetings)--but why move them if they are selling out? if you have a fan base that good and you control your payroll well and you should have a pretty good local tv deal in southern california-seems to me they should make money. also 100 mill is pocket change to disney-i'm surprised they do not missmanage them on purpose touse them as a tax deduction
im sure it was howard baldwin, he has made overtures to bringing the whale back to hartford - which curiously still holds the rights to the logo and name. i think its a pipe dream, but this is the type of guy who could pull it off if things fell into place. not just to hartford, mind you. he could find the money to buy a team, and move it wherever he could. also ex-owner of the pens - why you probably heard this out of pitts.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Kevin Forbes said:
I would suspect the NHL has the same plan to take over any team that is sold at under market value. Remember how they stepped in with Ottawa and Buffalo, this is probably just another incarnation of that. It was reported because it was the LA Times, thus it was local news and Anaheim Sports Inc. is looking to sell the Mighty Ducks of Anaheim, thus it is relevant news.
[/url]
the nhl (bettman) wouldnt buy the whale when they went for sale prior to karmanos buying the team. they were undervalued as well. of course, bettman didnt like the hartford location so close to other teams, and picked them to be a good candidate for the spreading of the league. the team was sold to the CDA (CT development authority) who, under suspiciuos conditions, sold it to karmanos. who broke the agreement to stay and left. points:
1) youre right, bettman steps in when they want to keep a team in a cetrain location. this speaks highly of the future of buffalo and ottawa - the league is behind them.

2) if the league doesnt step in to help, its a good sign a team is moving. watching to see how the league positions itself here will be imo telltale signs to the long term health of the ducks in anaheim.

3)imo, bettman and karmanos had an agreement to move the whale. bettman told him to stay put a couple of seasons and make it look good - then pull out when its time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad