When is Team Finland announced on...?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hawksfan_27

Feb 16, 2004
When is Team Finland gonna be announced?
The Hawks have nobody on a World Cup Team. (I think Berard got jipped, Klee and Miller and even Leopold, Berard is twice the player then them. He was top 5 in defensemen points and didnt even play 3/4 of the season)

Tuomo Ruutu better and should make Team Finland

Post your replies!!!

Shoalzie

Trust me!
May 16, 2003
Portland, MI
Hawksfan_27 said:
The Hawks have nobody on a World Cup Team. (I think Berard got jipped, Klee and Miller and even Leopold, Berard is twice the player then them. He was top 5 in defensemen points and didnt even play 3/4 of the season)

I totally agree on Berard, he should've been in over Miller. I had 7 of the 8 defensemen correct...Berard was my only incorrect prediction. He had a very underrated season. It would've been cool for him to make the team after all he has gone through.

Markov

Apr 16, 2004
Land of ice and snow
I agree with both you guys. Berard totally got screwed over. He had one of his best seasons this year. I went to many Hawks games and he was one of the only bright spots in this past season. Well I guess I have no reason to cheer for USA in this tournament now. :mad:

Anthony*

who does everyone have for the finnish goalies

kipper
toskala
markkanen/nurminen?

Last edited by a moderator:

Hans Moleman

Was saying Boortuzzi
Apr 4, 2004
FTW
Kiprusoff and Noronen are pretty much locks barring unforseen circumstance.
Noronen because he was voted the best player on the WCh team this year by the coaches, and he played well, despite the meltdown against Canada. The third is up in the air.

Team Finland is announced on the 25th I believe, well at least that's when it has to be, Tuomo should be there unlike what happened with the WCh's.

Last edited:

gib

Feb 3, 2004
Team Finland is announced 25th of may. 25th of may is the last day to announce roster to WC.

About goalies I agree with TK79, Noronen played himself out of the team in WCS.

Tuomo Ruutu will make team Finland.

Raimo Sillanpää

Mar 11, 2003
Espoo, Finland
12pm Finnish time (GMT +2, CET+1, aka EET) or thereabouts on Tuesday the 25th..

General concensus has the goalies as being Kiprusoff, Nurminen, Lehtonen.

Kipper - great season, first Finnish goalie in Stanley Cup final
Nurminen - broke several Finnish goaltender records this year, like most game splayed etc. Arguably first Finnish #1 in NHL. Also he'd feel bummed if Lehtonen is picked and he isn't..
Lehtonen - coaches and Finnish fans high on him (as is the whole world it seems..), besides, if for some reason the #3 has to step in, everyone would feel muhc more comfortable with it being Lehtonen than say Noronen or Toskala or someone..

Tuomo Ruutu will be in the squad. Only reason he wasn't in the World Championship team were the protests by Chicago..

Real question is will Ruutu be in the 2nd or third line (2nd he'd be pencilled in as the left wing, on the 3rd he'd be the Centre)

Owen

Roster Guru
Sep 13, 2003
I don't think that Lehtonen or Noronen have a shot. I think it will come down to Toskala, Nurminen, and Markkanen battling for the final two goalie slots. Of course, you never know about Kiprusoff because too many people forget that he DECLINED to play in the Olympics.

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Shoalzie said:
I totally agree on Berard, he should've been in over Miller. I had 7 of the 8 defensemen correct...Berard was my only incorrect prediction. He had a very underrated season. It would've been cool for him to make the team after all he has gone through.

I disagree.

Team USA already has plenty of offensive defenseman. The US's needs more of what Miller brings to the table than Berard's offense.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
John Flyers Fan said:
I disagree.

Team USA already has plenty of offensive defenseman. The US's needs more of what Miller brings to the table than Berard's offense.

Agreed. The U.S. already has Leetch, Rafalski, Schneider, and Leopold. That's enough offensive defensemen IMO.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Does anyone think any SM-liiga players will be picked? I know Janne Ojanen is a heralded player in Finland.

Sampe

Feb 27, 2002
Vantaa
go kim johnsson said:
Does anyone think any SM-liiga players will be picked? I know Janne Ojanen is a heralded player in Finland.

Ojanen is 36 and past his prime.

Jere Karalahti however does have a chance. But he's pretty much the only possibility IMO.

Of course, there are other players from Europe such as Petteri Nummelin, Ville Peltonen (I'll eat my shorts if he doesn't make the team), Jukka Hentunen etc.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Sampe said:
Jere Karalahti however does have a chance. But he's pretty much the only possibility IMO.

Unless someone declines, I don't see him making it for Finnish defensemen.

psycho_dad*

Jul 14, 2003
Saint John, N.B
Visit site
Sampe said:
Of course, there are other players from Europe such as Petteri Nummelin, Ville Peltonen (I'll eat my shorts if he doesn't make the team), Jukka Hentunen etc.

Nummelin=no way. Too small.

Hentunen= Hmmm...could be. Not impossible.He was good in world champs.

Peltonen= Would be nuts to leave him out. He was one of the best forwards in world championship, close to heatley.

Sampe

Feb 27, 2002
Vantaa
go kim johnsson said:
Unless someone declines, I don't see him making it for Finnish defensemen.

I dunno. He does have a pretty good package of toughness, hockey smarts and a heavy shot. He's more versatile than Berg and Väänänen for instance, which gives him an edge. I don't think his attitude will be a problem; it certainly wasn't in the World Championships where he didn't drink a single beer during the tournament.

But even if he beats one of Berg/Väänänen (of which I prefer Väänänen) that leaves Teppo Numminen, who is an interesting case. He did have a very poor season and he is 36, but then again he *is* Teppo Numminen. We'll see.

Sampe

Feb 27, 2002
Vantaa
psycho_dad said:
Nummelin=no way. Too small.

Agreed, even though I love his playing style. But Summanen might think otherwise...and if he gets picked, I won't complain.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad