When hockey fights were actual fights....

timbermen

Nov 14, 2017
Second to last one was Ron Delorme vs Jamie Macoun.Delorme was one of the toughest canucks ever.

Reactions: PaulD

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
I liked the start with the Rags and the Bruins Cashman. He gets jumped and beats the tar out of that Ranger! The old Bruins were a tough bunch. Fight the Rangers, fight the Rangers fans, fight the cops. You have to like people who are going to be pushed around by ANYBODY!

Orr, Sanderson, Wayne Cashman, "Terrible" Teddy Green, Ken Hodge, John McKenzie and the leader of the 1970 SC winning team in PIMs, Don Awrey. Phil Esposito had 152 points and 71 PIMs that year.

Good music for the highlights! So many people have awful music and ruin the videos.

Last edited:

ChuckLefley

Jan 5, 2016
Just shows how much the refs suck these days as they don't allow these guys to even go anymore. They jump in before the first punch most of the time now.
No, it shows that the league gets the idea that being a major player in the pro sports world means not having a lot of fighting. The refs are doing what they are supposed to do. I love a good fight, I mail ordered brawl tapes when I was a kid, but the way to being a major player is to showcase the players skill and the skills that make the game so special, not by having guys fight.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
No, it shows that the league gets the idea that being a major player in the pro sports world means not having a lot of fighting. The refs are doing what they are supposed to do. I love a good fight, I mail ordered brawl tapes when I was a kid, but the way to being a major player is to showcase the players skill and the skills that make the game so special, not by having guys fight.

The league has been around 100 years, if that was the idea they would've done it a long time ago.

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
Except times have changed, what is important now is not what was important 20,30,40, etc. years ago.
You are so right, with reduced fighting majors it's only a matter of time before the fans who stand up and strain to get a better look now will turn their backs, close their eyes and clutch their pearls.

As a business the job is to offer your customers something they will pay to see. Have you ever seen what happens in an arena of paying customers when a fight breaks out?

Players don't fight for the fans but this notion that fighting isn't popular amongst paying fans is such a freaking lie.

ChuckLefley

Jan 5, 2016
You are so right, with reduced fighting majors it's only a matter of time before the fans who stand up and strain to get a better look now will turn their backs, close their eyes and clutch their pearls.

As a business the job is to offer your customers something they will pay to see. Have you ever seen what happens in an arena of paying customers when a fight breaks out?

Players don't fight for the fans but this notion that fighting isn't popular amongst paying fans is such a freaking lie.
1) You only hurt your points when you make mysogynist remarks.
2) Where did I say fighting isn’t popular among paying fans?
3) Any good business looks into what the current customers like, as well as the people who aren’t their customers to see how they can get them to be there customers. Using your model of only caring what current customers want ensures your business will die eventually.

7 days late on your response and many loonies short.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
A combination of both is better.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Only a man that late, but ok. In the mind of the longtime hockey fan, yes. In the mind of a league looking to expand its fan base, no.
Cant disagree with you there.

But I will take the 8os Nords Habs .....Oiler Flames....or Flyers Rangers play off hockey over todays play off hockey all day.

Regardless of growing "fan base" league wide.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Second to last one was Ron Delorme vs Jamie Macoun.Delorme was one of the toughest canucks ever.

In my opinion that was the most violent fight in the history of the NHL with the highest volume of quality, flush, heavy bombs landed both ways.

Reactions: timbermen

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Cant disagree with you there.

But I will take the 8os Nords Habs .....Oiler Flames....or Flyers Rangers play off hockey over todays play off hockey all day.

Regardless of growing "fan base" league wide.

I grew up in that era and agree with you, l loved hockey with fighting but that ship has sailed. HRR continues to rise as hockey fighting fades and rest is just noise because HRR will always win out. This is without even folding in the potential liability to the league for allowing fighting in the game.

I have my memories and that will have to due.

Reactions: PaulD

timbermen

Nov 14, 2017
...but the code!

:scared:[/QUOTE
To me the fighting is what makes the game special.To me it isn't NHL hockey without fighting.The league may get the idea but it's a bad idea.It's like having Nascar at half speed so no accidents may happen.Yes no accidents will happen but you'll lose droves of veiwers.In 5 years when they're in panic mode from lose of interest in the league,the NHL will go back to 70's goon hockey,i guarantee it.We were told that the UFC was a human cockfighting blood sport that only trash watched,look how wrong they were as the ufc is a mainstream sport now.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas

Exactly.
and the line "for hockey to grow in the States the violence has to go" Yes, Like Americans don't like violence. :biglaugh:

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
I grew up in that era and agree with you, l loved hockey with fighting but that ship has sailed. HRR continues to rise as hockey fighting fades and rest is just noise because HRR will always win out. This is without even folding in the potential liability to the league for allowing fighting in the game.

I have my memories and that will have to due.
Ever watch when Montreal is playing Boston. HNIC will play up the rivalry before the game. Show highlights from the history between the two teams. Cool narrating and music . Notice none of the highlights are current. All from 70,s 80,s 90,s. Using the old days to sell todays game. lol

Its is what it is. But there is no question as to when the best, most entertaining, dramatic hockey was being played.

HFBS

Noted Troublemaker
Jan 18, 2015
I liked the start with the Rags and the Bruins Cashman. He gets jumped and beats the tar out of that Ranger! The old Bruins were a tough bunch. Fight the Rangers, fight the Rangers fans, fight the cops. You have to like people who are going to be pushed around by ANYBODY!

That wasn't the Rangers Einstein.

I guess you had your ass kicked by Ranger fans more than once.

snag

Feb 22, 2014

Orr, Sanderson, Wayne Cashman, "Terrible" Teddy Green, Ken Hodge, John McKenzie and the leader of the 1970 SC winning team in PIMs, Don Awrey. Phil Esposito had 152 points and 71 PIMs that year.

Good music for the highlights! So many people have awful music and ruin the videos.

Awesome music....the punches almost flowed with the drum beat lol

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->