When he retires McDavid will be ... on THIS career PPG list.

When he retires McDavid will be ... on this career PPG list.

• Total voters

Toby91ca

Oct 17, 2022
Pretty much impossible to say due to variables:

- how long will he play? Longer he plays the lower the PPG stat will go
- how will league scoring unfold over the next several years?

Reactions: Fatass

Video Nasty

Mar 12, 2017
I think he’ll stay inside the overall top 5. He’s building a really solid foundation to minimize the impact of decline later.

Because we’ve had more ordinary all-time greats since Gretzky and Lemieux, some have forgotten that not everyone sees a massive hit in their production before they even turn 30.

McDavid should be playing at a similar level to what he has been for at least a few more years, maybe even through his age 31 season.

banks

W W W 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16
Aug 29, 2019
1.Connor McDavid2015-241.497
2.Mike Bossy*1977-871.497
3.Bobby Orr*1966-791.393
4.Marcel Dionne*1971-891.314
5.Peter Šťastný*1980-951.268
6.Sidney Crosby2005-241.259
7.Peter Forsberg*1994-111.250
8.Kent Nilsson1979-951.241
9.Phil Esposito*1963-811.240
10.Guy Lafleur*1971-911.202

Why is this list ignoring Gretz and Lemieux?? People might vote McDavid at 1 or 2, thinking he's already there. But those spots are virtually unattainable.

#1 Gretzky - 1.921
#2 Lemieux - 1.883
#3 McDavid ...
etc.

Edit: @Wyatt Earp, I see you laughed at this post. Clearly you don't think Gretz or Mario are worth mentioning because they are unreachable. But you put them on your poll. They've already gotten votes. Over %25 of the votes in fact. Either show them in your list, or omit spots 1 and 2 from your poll. This is going to invalidate your results.

Last edited:

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
Here's how I see it shaking out to bump him down, but keep him in 4th...

1702577817903.png

I figure there are a couple more seasons of current McD, then a couple of seasons where he's still top 5 in the league, then an injured season, then an impressive rebound post injury rehab, but a steady age-related/wear and tear decline thereafter. Retiring relatively young when we realizes his legs are gone.

But you never know... you look at a guy like Marchand and you realize that guys these days are able to keep that mid-career form going for longer than before... health, fitness and recovery is better than it used to be.

Attachments

• 1702577545227.png
    1702577545227.png
    13.1 KB · Views: 3
  • Love
Reactions: Elvis P

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
Why is this list ignoring Gretz and Lemieux?? People might vote McDavid at 1 or 2, thinking he's already there. But those spots are virtually unattainable.

#1 Gretzky - 1.921
#2 Lemieux - 1.883
#3 McDavid ...
etc.

Edit: @Wyatt Earp, I see you laughed at this post. Clearly you don't think Gretz or Mario are worth mentioning because they are unreachable. But you put them on your poll. They've already gotten votes. Over %25 of the votes in fact. Either show them in your list, or omit spots 1 and 2 from your poll. This is going to invalidate your results.

I 100% agree with this... and now I need to change my vote. I voted 4th because he's not going to stay third, but he won't fall below Orr.

Everyone in hockey knows he just jumped into 3rd this week... so having a poll where 3rd actually equals 1st is silly.

I 100% agree with this... and now I need to change my vote. I voted 4th because he's not going to stay third, but he won't fall below Orr.

Everyone in hockey knows he just jumped into 3rd this week... so having a poll where 3rd actually equals 1st is silly.

I changed my vote to 2nd on @Wyatt Earp's list... but still think the poll is poorly constructed. Anyone who consults and external source for PPG, as I did, would see him currently in 3rd, and then look at where he'd finish in the actual all time list.

Reactions: banks

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017

#1 Gretzky - 1.921
#2 Lemieux - 1.883
#3 McDavid ...
etc.

Did you miss the part where it says THIS list?

Why would he omit 1 or 2 when it’s clearly referencing a list without Gretzky and Lemieux

• Love

zar

Bleed Blue
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB
Pretty much impossible to say due to variables:

- how long will he play? Longer he plays the lower the PPG stat will go
- how will league scoring unfold over the next several years?
🤣

Isn’t that the premise in any opinion-based poll predicting future performance of a player/team/outcome?

There are a bunch of factors (known/unknown) to consider… based on your knowledge what is your best guess as to what happens?

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Also omitting very prominent old-timers who played fewer career games in total, but per game that shouldn't be an issue. For example Newsy Lalonde was 1.69 ppg in the NHL age 30 to 39 and Joe Malone 1.40 ppg age 27 to 33.

Reactions: banks and Fatass

Elvis P

Truth is the first casualty
Dec 10, 2007
Graceland
Did you miss the part where it says THIS list? Why would he omit 1 or 2 when it’s clearly referencing a list without Gretzky and Lemieux
Thank you! Plus, those two are uncatchable so including them would be dumb! This list creates a greater variety of 10 realistic choices! Thanks!

Reactions: DANTHEMAN1967

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Imo Connor will finish around Dionne. 1800 hundred or so points. Fabulous career for sure. First ballot HHOF.

Elvis P

Truth is the first casualty
Dec 10, 2007
Graceland
Also omitting very prominent old-timers who played fewer career games in total, but per game that shouldn't be an issue. For example Newsy Lalonde was 1.69 ppg in the NHL age 30 to 39 and Joe Malone 1.40 ppg age 27 to 33.

- LaLonde -
- Boucher -
- Apps -

Cyclone - Park
Clancy - Pilote
- Seibert

Hall
Sawchuk​

There's no bias here. The list is based on NHL Records . I just drafted Newsy LaLonde as my #1C in a mock draft today and Joe Malone is on my draft list.

Last edited:

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
I think he could finish ahead of Dionne with a fairly long career. Could finish ahead of Orr if he hangs ‘em up early. If he pulls a Jagr though, who knows.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
If McDavid plays until he reaches 2000 points, I'm going to say 5th in all time PPG

3rd if he retires around 1600 points

banks

W W W 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16
Aug 29, 2019
Did you miss the part where it says THIS list?

Why would he omit 1 or 2 when it’s clearly referencing a list without Gretzky and Lemieux

There's prominent news that McDavid just got bumped to 3rd all-time. It's not silly that people would assume this is a full all-time list.

I don't mind the question being limited to the list provided. But it's unclear that's what's happening, and will ruin the results.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
Only way he drops below 1.4pts/game is if he reaches 2000 career points

Agree, you've gotta think his career is at least half over... he's currently scoring at ~1.5 and likely to do that for another couple seasons... that means his rate is gonna rise a bit for 2-3 more years, before it falls.

Then, his retirement will be based on some combination of: i) milestones still to achieve (cups, points), ii) injury, iii) frustration.

My guess is that he wins a cup or two (yes, I still believe), plays in a best-on-best or two for Canada, has a few injuries, rate starts to fall off and he stays around just long enough to jump Howe or Messier into 3rd all time in points. He can probably do all of that by the time he's Crosby's age.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
4th

Poll is perfectly clear btw, even if you didn’t capitalize THIS
Gramatically, you may be correct, but it's going to completely mess up the discussion... see example below

If McDavid plays until he reaches 2000 points, I'm going to say 5th in all time PPG

3rd if he retires around 1600 points

Canovin is clearly saying 5th ALL TIME (or 3rd in the poll) in his first sentence... then is less specific in his 2nd sentence.

It's going to be natural for people to discuss where he is ALL TIME in PPG, since the open question really is can he maintain his current 3rd overall position.

Which means anyone joining on the 2nd page or later of this discussion... which will probably go for 20+ pages or so, is going to start with that assumption, jump to the poll and cast their vote 2-slots below what they actually meant.

And just to add, look at 3rd currently leading the voting. Plenty of known Oiler/McDavid fans on that vote list... did they really mean 3rd on THAT list? Or did they mean 3rd all time and 1st on THAT list?

Last edited:
Reactions: Crow and banks

Crow

May 19, 2014
Gramatically, you may be correct, but it's going to completely mess up the discussion... see example below

Canovin is clearly saying 5th ALL TIME (or 3rd in the poll) in his first sentence... then is less specific in his 2nd sentence.

It's going to be natural for people to discuss where he is ALL TIME in PPG, since the open question really is can he maintain his current 3rd overall position.

Which means anyone joining on the 2nd page or later of this discussion... which will probably go for 20+ pages or so, is going to start with that assumption, jump to the poll and cast their vote 2-slots below what they actually meant.

And just to add, look at 3rd currently leading the voting. Plenty of known Oiler/McDavid fans on that vote list... did they really mean 3rd on THAT list? Or did they mean 3rd all time and 1st on THAT list?
You’re right

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad