When does McLellan get fired?

When?

• Total voters

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
With Bakersfield's season ending tonight, I'll be curious to see if the assistant coaching dominoes start to fall in Edmonton now. Stauffer did hint a couple times earlier in the week that he thought that one reason why there hadn't been any coaching changes announced yet was because the AHL team hadn't finished its season...which would indicate that Fleming is either moving up to Edmonton or is moving on.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
With Bakersfield's season ending tonight, I'll be curious to see if the assistant coaching dominoes start to fall in Edmonton now. Stauffer did hint a couple times earlier in the week that he thought that one reason why there hadn't been any coaching changes announced yet was because the AHL team hadn't finished its season...which would indicate that Fleming is either moving up to Edmonton or is moving on.
I don't mind if they fire some coaches at the AHL/NHL level soon, but I'd prefer they hold off on any hiring decisions generally a couple teams that get bounced out of the 1st round of the playoffs fire parts of or all of their coaching staff and it might give us better options to choose from. I'm guessing Fleming will be fired though, our AHL roster much like our NHL roster wasn't particularly good or well built, but this makes 3 consecutive seasons where he has missed the AHL playoffs, he only made the playoffs in his 1st year as head coach where he took over from Todd Nelson mid-season, Todd conversely made the playoffs 4 times in a row with us and was on his way to his 5th AHL playoff appearance before we called him up to the big club.

Zguy370

Dec 25, 2007
If Katz ever wants repectibility he'd get MacT TF out of here. If word gets out that MacT and Lowe are still meddling who would want to come here unless they are getting paid ridiculous coin?
I wouldn't be surprised if some, maybe quite a few successful / good qualified hockey minds still wouldn't want to be involved with this organization regardless of big $$. Why would they put their proud dignity /ego on the line knowing what everyone of them knows about how business is done here, and by WHOM

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
April 14 2019 is the day McLellan is fired. We finish 27th overall and as hard as Chia tries to keep him, Katz fires him for Wayne Gretzky to take over.

Soul8

Jan 20, 2018
Stauffer for the first time I have ever heard today talking about other head coaches as possibilities a bit, they way he spoke about Trotz makes me wonder if there is something there. But I don't recall in the past hearing Stauffer entertain the ideas of other head coaches. He didn't say a whole lot, but this is more than he has ever said from what i have heard, also said something along the lines of 'you never know what could happen in edmonton'(my words) after discussing the flames firing their coach.

Reactions: PulYou

Soul8

Jan 20, 2018
Stauffer also spoke again about continuity, and supports Tmac though, but this side of a discussion from him has been extremely rare up to this point.

Jeff Lebowski

Jan 12, 2008
Just do it already!!! Give the fans a glimmer of hope that change is coming. I can't watch another season of this. Get a coach that's gonna inspire confidence in his players and use them to their strengths. No more trying to pound square pegs into a round holes.

BlackDogg

perpetuum defectum
Oct 3, 2015
Just do it already!!! Give the fans a glimmer of hope that change is coming. I can't watch another season of this. Get a coach that's gonna inspire confidence in his players and use them to their strengths. No more trying to pound square pegs into a round holes.
I can't recall him doing much all year during games other than looking at his iPad.

Soul8

Jan 20, 2018
At the end of yesterdays Oilers Now (april 19th) Stauffer again mentioned Barry Trotz. Looking at Trotz, he has never made it past the 2nd round of the playoffs, But Stauufer asked Brenden Ulrick again who is a Caps fan if Trsotz is a better coach than Tmac. Brenden says it's tough because last year the caps had the better team but they bowed out to Pittsburgh, and Bob interrupts and says...'who won the Stanley Cup'!

Stauffer also asks, 'how many teams would be lining up for Barry Trotz'? I am getting a sense that if Trotz is available that the Oilers would let Tmac go. And adds Trotz has won 2 Presidents Trophies,

Reactions: PulYou

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
I was trying to find something about McLellan and Trent Yawney(Anaheim's assistant) and stumbled onto this article:

2011-12 San Jose Sharks: Todd McLellan Should Be Fired for Mishandling Personnel

It is Bleacher Report, so it's not like it's hard-hitting journalism, but it kind of blew my mind how you could just change the years and names and it would be true for this season.

Other than being a better motivator, what could he have done differently?
The most obvious thing to look at is the team's biggest Achilles heel, the penalty kill. But veteran players the Sharks rejected (Scott Nichol and Kent Huskins) just helped shut down the Sharks' potent power play.
When your lines are underachieving, it makes sense to juggle them and see if different forward combinations get different results. However, those changes seldom made any difference (and never for the long term) for McLellan to keep disrupting chemistry with those moves.
Colin White played entirely too many games. Make a bad choice, OK. Stick with him longer and you are showing faith in a guy. You are a genius if it works but a fool if it does not.

But McLellan went beyond staying too long with White, who had long since proven he was ineffective.

Reactions: Aerrol and PulYou

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
I get the impression that they are just waiting for someone to get fired that they like better. I really do think if Quennville had got fired, that TM would of got fired. Longer it goes on the more likely TM is back though.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
At the end of yesterdays Oilers Now (april 19th) Stauffer again mentioned Barry Trotz. Looking at Trotz, he has never made it past the 2nd round of the playoffs, But Stauufer asked Brenden Ulrick again who is a Caps fan if Trsotz is a better coach than Tmac. Brenden says it's tough because last year the caps had the better team but they bowed out to Pittsburgh, and Bob interrupts and says...'who won the Stanley Cup'!

Stauffer also asks, 'how many teams would be lining up for Barry Trotz'? I am getting a sense that if Trotz is available that the Oilers would let Tmac go. And adds Trotz has won 2 Presidents Trophies,
I’d be happy with Trotz. Those Nashville teams he had over achieved for years. I’m not too quick to heap a bunch of blame on him for Washington either. For whatever reason, every coach that’s gone there has failed to get anything out of that team in the playoffs.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
I was trying to find something about McLellan and Trent Yawney(Anaheim's assistant) and stumbled onto this article:

2011-12 San Jose Sharks: Todd McLellan Should Be Fired for Mishandling Personnel

It is Bleacher Report, so it's not like it's hard-hitting journalism, but it kind of blew my mind how you could just change the years and names and it would be true for this season.
I can’t tell you how many “old articles” have been posted on this board this season that read exactly like this one. Mclellan is who he is and he isn’t changing. The team is wasting a season if they bring him back.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I can’t tell you how many “old articles” have been posted on this board this season that read exactly like this one. Mclellan is who he is and he isn’t changing. The team is wasting a season if they bring him back.
They 100% will. I am also 100% sure Woodcroft is staying too.

Reactions: Aerrol

BlackDogg

perpetuum defectum
Oct 3, 2015
Whenever I go away from the boards for too long, I start thinking, "I wonder who the new head coach will be". Then I wake up and realize they never fired the present one yet. ;)

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
they'll stick with TMac. All the available coaches will be hire by other organizations. then in November, when the team is below .500, they'll skid him and hire....

Edison

Dec 1, 2017
I think Tmac will be fired when Chiarelli gets fired. Then katz want more old boys and he hires Jari Kurri to the gm place and he brings his Finnish coaches like Jukka Jalonen to coach Edmonton. But i bet it still better solution than current situation.

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002
they'll stick with TMac. All the available coaches will be hire by other organizations. then in November, when the team is below .500, they'll skid him and hire....

Looks like TMac will stay and the Oilers will bring in some NHL ready assistants as support, one of them will take over when they inevitably butt heads because they aren’t “his guys”.

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
I am a Caps fan as well (second to the Oilers), and I DO NOT WANT TROTZ. He has pretty much every single one of McLellan's issues.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad