When does Burke go all in like AA?

RogerRoeper*

Dickey is 17 years older than Kessel at the time of the trade, so it is quite different.

Kessel is easily worth 2 first and a second. Burke got him at 21. I don't think people ever have understood that. People act like Burke blew the future on a 30 year-old soon-to-be UFA.

pooleboy

Dec 23, 2009
Ontario
burke doesn't go all in like aa for a couple season. hell if everything goes according to plan we could end up having mackinnon and getzlaf in our forward core as well as luongo and then we wouldn't need to go "all in" (i realize this PROBABLY wont happen but it definitly isn't out of the question).

the jays were in a position where its best players are in there prime and had money to spend. In the NHL you really cant go all in because theres a salary cap, however if were talking about trading prospects for NHL ready talent i bet it doesn't happen untill next season. I am a believer if the season was played the leafs would make the playoffs with the team they have and are a getzlaf a rielly (potential) and luongo away from being a top contender (all possibilities)

pooleboy

Dec 23, 2009
Ontario
Dickey is 17 years older than Kessel at the time of the trade, so it is quite different.

Kessel is easily worth 2 first and a second. Burke got him at 21. I don't think people ever have understood that. People act like Burke blew the future on a 30 year-old soon-to-be UFA.

and when the trade was made the leafs had a lot of talent (bozak, stalberg, frattin (i think really cant remember)) coming in through that pre-season and we did feel like we were looking good. I also believe the team had an amazing per-season record. However, RW put bozak and company down to the AHL who were his best players for vets and screwed up, also kessel wasn't in the lineup till late novemeber, when the trade was made it was the right thing. looking back we could have possibly drafted taylor hall and RNH because i doubt burke makes the beauchemin signing and phaneuf trade without that kessel deal. If we take back one trade we need to think if burke would have done the things he did, so no gardiner or lupul, no phaneuf or carter ashton, no komi (prolly good thing) no franson cause he wouldn't have signed lebda and let the rookies play. Its not just we could have seguin and hamilton its we would have a whole different team and people forget about that when they post stupid burke hater posts.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
We're not deep enough anywhere to compete right now.

The Jays situation was perfect for them to make this splash. The Yankees are old and slowing down, the Red Sox are coming off an extremely poor season and aren't poised to be much of a factor, and the Rays are retooling a bit. Baltimore's....who knows. It's the time to go for it. The Jays shouldve been a borderline playoff team last year, but injuries destroyed us.

The Leafs aren't there yet. We need almost an entire new roster to compete with the Pittsburgh's, Rangers, Bruins of the East.

No we don't we need a goalie and a center the rest of the gaps are small.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
It depends on the trade.

Would you trade Rielly for Kopitar?
Would you trade Kadri and Rielly for Kopitar and Doughty?

Can't evaluate a trade without knowing what the trade is.

When does Burke go all in? Anytime he thinks he can make the team better.

Joey24

Mar 9, 2002
New Zealand
... Burkie go all-in like AA, throwing caution to the win, trading the guys we say are "untouchables", trading guys we all overvalue, making the big splash?

No one in a Leaf uniform should be untouchable. Any guy who can be packaged to bring in an upgrade can be gone. Add and drive on Burke, your fan base deserves it.

For what the Jays gave up in the Fld deal and what they got back is a huge difference in value. People complained about the Dickey trade but I personally like it, When you consider the amount of talent we brought in compared to the kind of talent and prospects that went out the Blue Jays came out the clear winners overall. I don't see any kind of trade with any team that could even come close for Burke to make compared to what AA did for the Jays this year.

The Apologist

Apologizing for Leaf garbage since 1979
Oct 16, 2007
Leaf Nation Hell
It depends on the trade.

Would you trade Rielly for Kopitar?
Would you trade Kadri and Rielly for Kopitar and Doughty?

Can't evaluate a trade without knowing what the trade is.

When does Burke go all in? Anytime he thinks he can make the team better.

Well said

hockeygeek

Apr 28, 2010
Thank Rogers and thank baseball. Exchanging that much salary in a single "trade" under the nhl cap is OBVIOUSLY not going to happen.

Leaf Army

Jun 9, 2003
Leaf Nation
Visit site
Burke can go all in.

But he's got to stop maxing out the cap every year on bringing in marginal players like Armstroing, Lombardi and Connolly. Either go big or go home.

Brewsky

King Of The Ice Mugs
Jan 26, 2011
King County
www.brewsky.com
C'mon man you can't compare MLB and NHL, one is a league where it usually takes half a decade for a player to make it to the bigs, the other a player can enter year 1 and make an impact. Take into consideration draft picks, depth of talent, and resources, and I don't think it is possible. The closest thing we saw was when the LA/PHI deals went down as those were big pieces, but still. It's not like Burkie has blue chippers overflowing in his cupboard that he can just get a bunch and trade for prime stars.

Mystifo

No more Mr.FightGuy
May 26, 2011
YYT
Burke can go all in.

But he's got to stop maxing out the cap every year on bringing in marginal players like Armstroing, Lombardi and Connolly. Either go big or go home.

To be fair Connolly was the second best C available at the time.

Rockinz

Leafs 4 the cup
Feb 25, 2010
Leaf Land
This summer with 25+ Million in cap space in a very deep FA market!

Burkie is going to break the bank on Perry and Getz!!! i can see it now!!!

RogerRoeper*

He has to do everything to get Perry and Getzlaf together. This is his big chance.

Wendelstache

May 5, 2010
You only trade your prospects and high draft picks if you think your team will contend.

Not okay when the team is a fringe playoff team, that is where the leafs organization have fudged it for the last decade.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->