When do teams need to be under the cap?

Discussion in 'The Business of Hockey' started by copper_blue, Jul 30, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. copper_blue

copper_blue Registered User

Home Page:
    I have heard two sides to this:

1) Teams need to be under the cap by the start of the season

2) Teams need to be under the cap by the end of the season

:dunno: Does anyone know???

2. Hoek

Hoek Stanley Principal

I'm guessing by the start and then throughout the season they have to keep under it, but maybe that's too obvious. I'm sure there is some deadline before training camp starts to be specific, much like the NFL. You'd think it'd be on the critical dates list on NHL.com, but it isn't, I'm guessing after the end of the second buyout period that's pretty much it though as they will have given teams plenty of opportunity to get under the cap by then. http://www.nhl.com/nhlhq/cba/critical_dates072205.html

Last edited: Jul 30, 2005
  3. GSC2k2*

GSC2k2* Guest

I think the FAQ says something to the efect of "A team may never be over the maximum threshold".

So it would appear the answer to your question is "both" and "always".

4. joepeps

joepeps Registered User

Home Page:
    I heard the end of the season...

because of injuries and such...

and you can't sign Forsburg naslund sundin moginley pronger leetch blake for 7 mill then get ride of them becasue they will count to the cap at the end...

5. Steve L*

Steve L* Registered User

Home Page:
    thats a total contradiction of what Ive been told, a team could finish the season with a $50m payroll, as long as it was say $25m up until the deadline.

Its averaged over the season.

Has anyone got total proof either way?

6. Rails

Rails Registered User

Home Page:
    The total amount spent on salary and bonuses at the end of the year can't be more than $39 Million. That is how I understood it.

7. joepeps

joepeps Registered User

Home Page:

bonus that are obvious are couted..

bonus' that arn't ovbious and are achived are added to next season...

8. kdb209

kdb209 Global Moderator

That was the speculation prior to the CBA signing - including the speculation from Bob McKenzie - but there has been no indication that that indeed is the case. In fact the CBA FAQ pretty much states that it is not:

Teams must be under the cap by the start of the season and remain under the cap all season long. Sorry - no avearging and loading up at the trading deadline.

9. kdb209

kdb209 Global Moderator

That is how the NFL treats Likeley To Be Earned and Unlikely To Be Earned performance bonuses and there was speculation that that was how the NHL MIGHT treat them.

There has been no indication that that indeed is the case.

The CBA FAQ states that all performance bonuses count against the current years cap.
    And given the limited nature of performance bonuses in the new CBA, available only to rookies, and 1 yr deals for vets (over 35) and players coming off injuries, you won't see many performance bonuses anyway.

10. Steve L*

Steve L* Registered User

Home Page:
    thats good news, that how I wanted it as it makes it a lot easier for fans to follow what their team can and cannot do.

It would be very hard to work out an average over the season and plan with that.

11. NYR469

NYR469 Registered User

Home Page:
    this was reported on tsn before the lockout ended but has never been confirmed. however it with regards to acquiring guys midseason so you aren't really ever going over...

lets say iginla is making $5 mil/year and halfway thru the year the flames trade him to colorado. he would NOT count $5 mil/year against both teams, he'd count $2.5 mil against both teams.

so if the avs have a $36 mil payroll, the $2.5 mil would put them at $38.5 mil and still under the cap...if you took his full salary and figured $36 + $5 is $41 mil they would be over, but that isn't accurate...

same would apply to a callup, if you call a guy up and he plays 3 games the team doesn't get hit for the full $600k against the cap, they'd just get hit for the 3 games worth of pay.

so while it looks like its over if you list all the full season salaries and add them up, it really isn't over

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.