When comparing seasons and performance of young players, how much does age matter?

How much does age matter when comparing young players performance?

• Yes, it matters enough to make the comparison not valid

• No, it's one year, it doesn't matter enough to make the comparison not valid

• Yes, it matters, but not enough to make the comparison not valid

Results are only viewable after voting.

Mad Dog Tannen

Apr 10, 2010
In a recent thread someone was comparing Marner's Second year to Eberle's second year. There was push back in being able to compare the seasons because Eberle was 21 (76 pt season), and Marner is 20 (on pace for sub 60). Theory being Marner should be given a handicap because he is younger, and the comparison is unfair to Marner.

Just curious, how much do you think the year matters when comparing young players performance?

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
It matters, but I refuse to vote for either of your loaded poll answers since neither is the right answer.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Umm, loaded? I'm not sure I understand. Would you like a third option?
Your choices aren't "yes age matters" and "no age doesn't matter", they include a part which forces people to comment whether making a comparison is valid or not. Age matters, but that doesn't mean you can't compare two players, you just have to provide the context of their age and development time in the comparison.

Reactions: cgf

Mad Dog Tannen

Apr 10, 2010
Your choices aren't "yes age matters" and "no age doesn't matter", they include a part which forces people to comment whether making a comparison is valid or not. Age matters, but that doesn't mean you can't compare two players, you just have to provide the context of their age and development time in the comparison.

Oh, okay, well I was tying it back to the example and context provided in the first post. But I can make it more general, but it would lose the how much aspect. The question is how much does it matter, not if it does. I think the best way to look at a question is "In general, does the age matter", 8 out of 10 times does it make the comparison valid. You may be thinking of a specific instance where you don't feel it applies, thats not what this poll is trying to capture, although I should have put In general infront of the questions.

EDIT: Hmmm, apparently I can't edit "In general" infront of the options!

Reactions: Blender

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad