When and Where were you when these famous/nonfamous players died suddenly?

Status
Not open for further replies.

puckhead103*

i remember watching NFL today in late 1985 on a november sunday when i heard the death of pelle lindbergh...

terry sawchuk
pelle lindbergh
brian fogerty
brian spencer
john kordic
keith magnuson
steve chaisson
dan snyder

someone help me with other hockey players who died in the prime of their lives....

octopi

Dec 29, 2004
puckhead103 said:
i remember watching NFL today in late 1985 on a november sunday when i heard the death of pelle lindbergh...

terry sawchuk
pelle lindbergh
brian fogerty
brian spencer
john kordic
keith magnuson
steve chaisson
dan snyder

someone help me with other hockey players who died in the prime of their lives....

Kharmalov, altho that was quite awhile ago(very young and not into international hockey at the time, I only heard about it years later)

Dmitri Tertyshny, Sergei Zholtok, that guy who hanged himself...I think I read these on net

Chaisson....I saw on the sportnews, Snyder I was following that because he was in a coma, sportsnews again

Kordic I think I read it in the paper or it was on TV

reckoning

Jan 4, 2005
terry sawchuk
pelle lindbergh
brian fogerty
brian spencer
john kordic
keith magnuson
steve chaisson
dan snyder
Every single death on that list happened for a stupid, preventable reason. I`m not happy that Lindbergh and Chaisson died, but if somebody had to pay for their actions I`m glad it was them and not some innocent bystander.

Where was I when I heard about these deaths? Usually read it in the paper the next day, though I do specifically remember in the mid 80s on a Sunday morning listening to a local weekly sports call-in radio show here in Ottawa when they interrupted with the bulletin about Lindbergh. The initial report was that he suffered two broken legs and "unspecified head injuries", but later in the day the seriousness of the incident became clearer.

Brian Spencer`s death was the only one that deeply affected me as he was always one of my favourite players growing up. A definite candidate for the thread about the hardest working player ever. There`s always been suspicion that he may have been set up that night. Who knows?

I can also tell you that when I heard about John Kordic and Bryan Fogarty, I wasn`t the least bit shocked or surprised.

StevenintheATL

Jun 12, 2004
The ATL!
I had heard about the Heatley/Snyder accident early that morning listening to the radio on the way to work and heard about Snyder's death the same way. When I first heard about the accident, the station I was listening to teased it and didn't mention what players it was. My first thoughts were "please don't let it be Dany or Ilya" and when they said who it was, my jaw dropped. When they announced the Dan had died, I'll admit to shedding a few tears, as it was sad to lose a member of the team. I remember watching the home opener on TV when they had the tribute and I was crying like a baby. It was pretty emotional to go into the Thrashers' locker room during the Draft Party and see Dan's locker still there with his gear hanging up in it.

mcphee

Feb 6, 2003
Visit site
DuckTales22 said:
I love that song, "50 Mission Cap", by the Tragically Hip; it's about him for those that don't know.
I've always taken exception with that. I always felt that the song was more about the familiar things from childhood,and the Barilko info. was sort of something he remembered from the back of a hockey card. Probably a bit about both I guess. I know I'm splitting hairs here and veering off the topic, but what the heck...

Marcus-74

Apr 27, 2005
octopi said:
Kharmalov, altho that was quite awhile ago(very young and not into international hockey at the time, I only heard about it years later)

Yes, K-H-A-R-L-A-M-O-V was a victim of a horrible car crash in August ´81. He was one of my biggest idols as a child and it really sucked. I mean, I had just started school... wasn´t that bad enough??? :(

Papadice

Apr 29, 2003
Moncton, NB, Canada
www.myfhl.net
I remember when Lindbergh died, I was around 9 years old and he was my favourite NHL player... I was in my room and my father came in and showed me the picture of his totalled car in the newspaper... I was crushed... I kept that newspaper clipping for about 15 years...

Papadice

Apr 29, 2003
Moncton, NB, Canada
www.myfhl.net
Did I miss something? When did Konstantinov die? I know he had a horrible limo accident that finished his hockey career and drastically changed his life, placing him in a wheelchair... But, to the best of my memory, I can't remember hearing of his passing at any point... Did I miss that?

Daisy

Mar 28, 2002
Northern New York
Visit site
CoreVX said:
How did Terry Sawchuk die?
Here's what I found...

During the summer of 1970, Terry Sawchuk rented a house at East Atlantic Beach on Long Island with Ranger teammate Ron Stewart. Like Stewart, both men were divorced hockey veterans. After visiting the E & J Pub in nearby Long Beach on April 29, the two got into an argument. A wrestling match ensued and the two men stumbled to the ground. Sawchuk was rushed to the hospital where his gall bladder was removed. A second operation later removed blood from a lacerated liver. Unable to recover, Terry Sawchuk died on May 31. "His heart just stopped beating because he was so generally weak," a hospital spokesperson stated.

http://www.legendsofhockey.net/html/spot_oneononep197103.htm

octopi

Dec 29, 2004
tgallant said:
Did I miss something? When did Konstantinov die? I know he had a horrible limo accident that finished his hockey career and drastically changed his life, placing him in a wheelchair... But, to the best of my memory, I can't remember hearing of his passing at any point... Did I miss that?

I'm a Wings fan. He's not dead.

LastChancePrice

Dec 12, 2004
tgallant said:

yeah Konstantinov is not dead????Never head of that

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
Yanick Dupre died after a 16-month long battle with leukemia on August 16, 1997.
He played parts of three seasons for the Flyers from 1991-1996.

http://orangeandblack.net/features/memorial.htm

Dmitri Tertyshny died in a boating accident on July 23, 1999. He played his rookie season in 1998-99 with the Flyers.

http://www.legendsofhockey.net:8080/LegendsOfHockey/jsp/SearchPlayer.jsp?player=11360

Bruce Gamble (Flyers) suffered a heart attack on February 8, 1972 during a game in Vancouver. He never played again and passed away December 30, 1982.

http://www.legendsofhockey.net:8080/LegendsOfHockey/jsp/SearchPlayer.jsp?player=18520

Jerry Garcia lives

Feb 3, 2004
Florida
Not exactly in his prime, but didn't Tim Horton die on the QE2 going from Buffalo to Toronto? Wasn't he still active, or had he retired?
Anyone remember this with a more accurate take?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->