Wheeler's Next contract

robertocarlos

Sep 19, 2014
Chevy has to offer him 5 years 35 million. Probably the sticking points will be what to offer in terms of bonus money for the lockout and how top heavy the contract should be the first years.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I really don't think that. like I said I was just being an ass about a previous thread and last year about troubas contract.

I can dig this

trouba for 6m would be nice. don't care if it was for only 4 years

I see jets window for a cup starting now til scheifele's contract is up
and then we'll see what happens after that
but I think the jets best years could be in the next 2 to 4 years

so I really wouldn't mind some of these guys for shorter contracts so they can fit all these players under the cap
Yeah I think Chevy will need to get pretty creative to hold together this group. This summer should prove very interesting.

Reactions: dlam and Peggy

Deedog99

Nov 22, 2016
well laine is taking no less than 10 million cuz mcdavid and eichels contract says so

trouba is signing for 8 million because market value says so

so there's no room for wheeler
Might be time to start cutting ties with the guys who have been here since 2011. Lol

Last edited:

Peggy

Aug 6, 2016
Might be time to start cutting ties with the thrashers leftovers.

only player I can see not fitting under the salary from thrasher players in buff
he's the most expensive player on the team. should've signed for a flat 7m instead of "closer" to 8

can see him declining pretty soon tho so 6.5 would be ideal for his last years of his contract

bustamente

Kinda Optimistic
Jun 29, 2015
White Out MB
Salary Cap will be helped out by how quickly the younger prospects will be able to push out some of the vets. Is Niku, Vesalaine, and or Lemieux and Petan going to be ready in the next 2 years.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Salary Cap will be helped out by how quickly the younger prospects will be able to push out some of the vets. Is Niku, Vesalaine, and or Lemieux and Petan going to be ready in the next 2 years.
Lemieux and Petan aren't going to push out the type of vet that saves you money. Niku is likely a few years away yet and Toby will be pushed out before that by father time. Vesalaine on an ELC will likely come in very handy for us in a couple years.

Vekke

Feb 28, 2018
I know that you guys live the vets and it is nice that they have appreciation. At the same time Jets can’t commit to all vets.

It would be utterly stupid to keep Little, Buffy and Wheeler long term because they will get worse sooner or later and many prospects would have to go. You can’t have it all.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
well laine is taking no less than 10 million cuz mcdavid and eichels contract says so

trouba is signing for 8 million because market value says so

so there's no room for wheeler

Market has not said 8M for Trouba.

I know that you guys live the vets and it is nice that they have appreciation. At the same time Jets can’t commit to all vets.

It would be utterly stupid to keep Little, Buffy and Wheeler long term because they will get worse sooner or later and many prospects would have to go. You can’t have it all.

Buff will only have few years left when Wheeler contract kicks in.

Perreault is still the guy I'm looking to move after next season to lower the risk rate on contracts.

Last edited:

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
Trouba is worth 7 Million at the very highest. I'd personally give him 5 Million AAV, but I do think we should trade him because I've always thought he was overrated.

Personally, I think we should trade him while his value is high, been saying this since he didn't want to sign in Winnipeg. Might benefit us going forward.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Trouba is worth 7 Million at the very highest. I'd personally give him 5 Million AAV, but I do think we should trade him because I've always thought he was overrated.

Personally, I think we should trade him while his value is high, been saying this since he didn't want to sign in Winnipeg. Might benefit us going forward.

If you go to UFA market you need to pay 5M+ already to get a top4 D-man longterm.
If you can get Trouba at 6-7M it makes a lot of sense, and is really good value wise even if he doesn't turn into real #1D.

You really shouldn't be focusing on creating a massive hole on defense, I've learned the value of defensive game over the last few years watching the Bruins fall and rise and how defense has played a part in it.
Not to mention watching Dallas fail with their superstar forwards because their defensive game hasn't been able to do their job.

kylbaz

Winnipeg <3
Nov 14, 2015
www.movingtowinnipeg.ca
The PA can't forbid any player from accepting any deal. They can frown on it and complain - but even then, with the way salaries are tied to revenues, if Blake Wheeler takes a discount that's money that ends up in the hands of another player...so why would they complain?

They would certainly frown upon it which would be enough to stop him from doing it. His agent would also attempt to stop him as well. Business 101.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
They would certainly frown upon it which would be enough to stop him from doing it. His agent would also attempt to stop him as well. Business 101.
Why would NHLPA disapproval stop a player from doing anything? You think this is a militant blue collar shop that can exert any kind of real pressure on their millionaire playboy members?

And agents work for players, not vice versa. They can advise and try to convince, but their clients are ultimately driving the bus. 3% of 5M is still good money ($150k vs say $195k for 3% of $6.5M) and if the player says "I'm 33 with a family, $20M in the bank and winning [or location or friends or cosmic karma] is more important than getting full fair market value" you're following his directions, not telling him "no, the Golden Knights are offering you $6M x 5 so I told them yes. Pack your bags." Agent-Client Relations 101. ;)

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
What makes you think Buff is about to start declining?
only player I can see not fitting under the salary from thrasher players in buff
he's the most expensive player on the team. should've signed for a flat 7m instead of "closer" to 8

can see him declining pretty soon tho so 6.5 would be ideal for his last years of his contract

Peggy

Aug 6, 2016
What makes you think Buff is about to start declining?
he's just really inconsistent(or he has been don't know about recentl and he's getting older
it's just odds and probablity. you cant assume he'll keep it up

kunekune

Feb 17, 2016
Usually don't think giving long term contract for 33 years old player in a good thing but Wheeler is expection.

Fitting him in to salary cap will a be a problem tho.

Myers, Little and Perreault must be sold before Wheeler signs a new contract.

Oh, how ironic it would be if Littles new contract blocks Wheeler from being re-signed. That's a fireable mistake.

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
Usually don't think giving long term contract for 33 years old player in a good thing but Wheeler is expection.

Oh, how ironic it would be if Littles new contract blocks Wheeler from being re-signed. That's a fireable mistake.

Lol Ok then...

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015

You don't like Little's contract either?

kunekune

Feb 17, 2016
Lol Ok then...
So you don't think signing Little and letting Wheeler go because of that is not a fireable mistake for GM?

If you crunch the numbers it's more than likely that Jets can't sign Wheeler because of Little's contract.

You don't like Little's contract either?

No true Jets fan like that contract. I'm not saying Little is a bad player and his AAV is alright but 6 years for someone who's on a decline is just outright horrible.

And if Jets can't ship him out (realistically who wants him for 6 years?) or can't buyout his contract and it means losing Wheeler then Little becomes easily the most hated Jets ever.

Reactions: hudster

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
So you don't think signing Little and letting Wheeler go because of that is not a fireable mistake for GM?

If you crunch the numbers it's more than likely that Jets can't sign Wheeler because of Little's contract.

No true Jets fan like that contract. I'm not saying Little is a bad player and his AAV is alright but 6 years for someone who's on a decline is just outright horrible.

And if Jets can't ship him out (realistically who wants him for 6 years?) or can't buyout his contract and it means losing Wheeler then Little becomes easily the most hated Jets ever.

That is one MASSIVE assumption that no one can logically make at this time. This is just going to be a pointless conversation.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad