Wheeler's Next contract

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
Paying a high salary for a longer term to an older player is how teams get into cap hell.

I don’t think we’ll see a deal over 5 years for a player Wheeler’s age. It will be a Ladd-type nightmare in no time.

I agree in general but don't really see the comparison. Wheeler has been on a steady upward trajectory while Ladd was clearly declining into free agency with a chronic injury he never recovered from. Wheeler could easily have several years as a top 5-top 10 RW in the league after his UFA.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
I agree in general but don't really see the comparison. Wheeler has been on a steady upward trajectory while Ladd was clearly declining into free agency with a chronic injury he never recovered from. Wheeler could easily have several years as a top 5-top 10 RW in the league after his UFA.
Or his decline can start next year and fall constantly for the next 5 years. There are many more examples of players declining in their mid-30’s than maintaining a high level of play.

Reactions: Peggy

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
Even if he wanted tot ake that the players association wouldn't let him.
It depends> why not, he is in mid 30's already. It's not like he is going to his prime years. Though he is top winger this year. It doesn't mean he will be in 2 - 3 years. 4M/yr is still a big contract for middle 30 years old player.

But I'm just dreaming anyways :)

204hockey

#whiteout
Sep 29, 2017
5x6.5 with a job offer with the org after he retires or 4x5 and a nice bitcoin resume that is untraceable :D

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
Unless it's a hometown discount, I doubt he gets the money he wants. We gotta worry about Laine first before we look at Wheeler, but we'd might have to make some trades in order to make it work.

But could Wheeler get a signing bonus in order for it to work on top of say, if each year were to be averages $5M a year, then he got an extra $9M on each of the years that weren't on the cap? I know Chicago did it with Kane and Toews.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Laine contract isn't the biggest challenge for Chevy, it's this one.

Atleast with Laine if you pay the max you'll buy his prime years, but Wheeler is 33y when this contract kicks in, it has to be a short term deal.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Unless it's a hometown discount, I doubt he gets the money he wants. We gotta worry about Laine first before we look at Wheeler, but we'd might have to make some trades in order to make it work.

But could Wheeler get a signing bonus in order for it to work on top of say, if each year were to be averages $5M a year, then he got an extra $9M on each of the years that weren't on the cap? I know Chicago did it with Kane and Toews.
Signing bonuses apply to the cap and they did nothing of the sort, because they can't.

Peggy

Aug 6, 2016
well laine is taking no less than 10 million cuz mcdavid and eichels contract says so

trouba is signing for 8 million because market value says so

so there's no room for wheeler

Vekke

Feb 28, 2018
I would be extremely cautios with this one. He hit the jackpot this season but fact is that he is not getting any younger. Little and Wheeler deals could destroy this team capwise.

Reactions: hudster

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
I would be extremely cautios with this one. He hit the jackpot this season but fact is that he is not getting any younger. Little and Wheeler deals could destroy this team capwise.
Not sure what you mean by this but he has been the best RWer in the league next to P Kane for the last 5 or so years.
If traded this summer (re-signed), I would say that he would bring back a VERY good prospect, a roster player, and two 1st rounders.

winnipegger

Dec 17, 2013
4 year deal then Scheif takes over. I'd rather Scheif take over sooner but I think Maurice really likes Wheeler and that matters.

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
well laine is taking no less than 10 million cuz mcdavid and eichels contract says so

I doubt Trouba will be here.
I think Laine will sign for 8.5-9.0
Wheeler will be interesting...he’ll want term of 6 years....but at what cost?

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron

Well Laine is a RFA, there is no logic to say he has to get 10m. What are Laine's options as a UFA, if he doesn't get offered 10m as you suggest? Not saying Jets might offering that much, it's just they don't have to. Trouba isn't a top 10 Dman, how does he get 8m as a RFA?
Wheeler's age will work against getting a great contract or maybe even a long term contract.

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
If they keep Wheelers, the contract has a significant impact on the future of this team and is entirely bind to Blake's performance. If the contract is something like 7m x <5-6> and he starts to decline either next year or the year after, we could be looking at a disaster due to resigning of Little who has already started to show some signs of decline. That would mean 12m for the two and considering the upcoming talents who need to be signed as well, they would be in some serious trouble keeping all that talent together. It's a risky business. You would want to keep Wheelers cause you'd think he still has a couple of good years ahead of him but at the same time on the flop side of the coin, where to find the $ to sign Laine, Roslovic, Connor, (maybe) Trouba, Morrisey, potentially Vesalainen and others? Chevy certainly has some homework to do here.

Not a knock on Little but it's almost a pity that his contract ended when it did rather than Wheelers' and Little having the exact same expiry date, cause then you'd have the possibility to pick the other and there's no question who that would be.

DonM

The Industrial Revolution and its consequences
May 18, 2015
Obviously he wouldn't take that deal, but I doubt the PA can stop a player from accepting a contract.

Reactions: Board Bard

Peggy

Aug 6, 2016
Well Laine is a RFA, there is no logic to say he has to get 10m. What are Laine's options as a UFA, if he doesn't get offered 10m as you suggest? Not saying Jets might offering that much, it's just they don't have to. Trouba isn't a top 10 Dman, how does he get 8m as a RFA?
Wheeler's age will work against getting a great contract or maybe even a long term contract.

im just being an ass at this point

last year Winnipeg boards were telling me that Winnipeg should just give trouba 8 million to keep him

I don't think laine is worth 10 million, imo no olayer besides mcdavid is worth 10m under salary cap, but again the boards seem to have a problem with my thought process that laine is not gonna sign for that much

I wouldn't mind laine signing for 6 years to keep his salary cap down

also wouldn't mind wheeler singing 6 either, but he can't expect anything more than 7 m at this point
5 years at most would be ideal tbh

I doubt Trouba will be here.
I think Laine will sign for 8.5-9.0
Wheeler will be interesting...he’ll want term of 6 years....but at what cost?

trouba doesn't want to be a apart of a Stanley cup contender?

Last edited:

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg

Signing bonuses are counted as part of the AAV and count against the cap.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg

I think you have both of those deals a bit high. Not saying it won't be real tight but we have Chevy negotiating the deals not Chiarelli.

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
im just being an ass at this point

last year Winnipeg boards were telling me that Winnipeg should just give trouba 8 million to keep him

I don't think laine is worth 10 million, imo no olayer besides mcdavid is worth 10m under salary cap, but again the boards seem to have a problem with my thought process that laine is not gonna sign for that much

I wouldn't mind laine signing for 6 years to keep his salary cap down

also wouldn't mind wheeler singing 6 either, but he can't expect anything more than 7 m at this point
5 years at most would be ideal tbh

trouba doesn't want to be a apart of a Stanley cup contender?
I really don’t think he wants to be here regardless truthfully....
Just a gut ....no proof behind it.

Reactions: Peggy

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
The PA can't forbid any player from accepting any deal. They can frown on it and complain - but even then, with the way salaries are tied to revenues, if Blake Wheeler takes a discount that's money that ends up in the hands of another player...so why would they complain?

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I really don’t think he wants to be here regardless truthfully....
Just a gut ....no proof behind it.
I think we find out this summer if Trouba really wants to be here or not, but I think he ultimately signs something middle of the road on the doorstep of the arb hearing. I'm expecting a 4-5 year deal at approx $6M. I also believe Wheeler gets something middle of the road and less than he would get on the open market. I'd also expect Chevy to bridge a couple of the RFA's starting with Morressy to try and keep this group together for a couple more years. Laine needs to be signed long term just because of how special he is. Keeping NMC in check will be the key IMO as at some point Chevy will have to move out some salary.

Sperss1997

Oct 29, 2015
Aarhus
Wheeler 5 x 6.5 (at most)

If Laine wants 10m - let him go
If Trouba wants more than 8 mio - let him go, unless cap is going up.

You cant pay Laine 10 when Scheif gets 6.1.
Because other franchises makes redicilous contracts doesnt mean we should!
It will also hurt other signing possibilities as well. My guess is Laine signs for 8 x 8

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
I don't think the Jets will have anywhere near $6M or $7M to throw at Wheeler in two years. Assuming a salary cap of $83M in 2019-20, no buyouts or retained salary on the books, and no bonus cushion penalties from the previous year...if the Jets re-sign Morrissey, Trouba, Hellebuyck, Lowry, Connor and Laine to reasonable deals and then fill some empty slots with cheap ELCs (Roslo, Niku, Appleton, Vesalainen, maybe Green or Stanley) and league-minimum players, they'll have maybe $5M in space to hand to Wheeler...(and they'd have bonus penalties for 2020-21 probably).

Peggy

Aug 6, 2016
I think you have both of those deals a bit high. Not saying it won't be real tight but we have Chevy negotiating the deals not Chiarelli.

I really don't think that. like I said I was just being an ass about a previous thread and last year about troubas contract.

I think we find out this summer if Trouba really wants to be here or not, but I think he ultimately signs something middle of the road on the doorstep of the arb hearing. I'm expecting a 4-5 year deal at approx $6M. I also believe Wheeler gets something middle of the road and less than he would get on the open market. I'd also expect Chevy to bridge a couple of the RFA's starting with Morressy to try and keep this group together for a couple more years. Laine needs to be signed long term just because of how special he is. Keeping NMC in check will be the key IMO as at some point Chevy will have to move out some salary.

I can dig this

trouba for 6m would be nice. don't care if it was for only 4 years

I see jets window for a cup starting now til scheifele's contract is up
and then we'll see what happens after that
but I think the jets best years could be in the next 2 to 4 years

so I really wouldn't mind some of these guys for shorter contracts so they can fit all these players under the cap

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad