Speculation: Wheeler, Little and Buff - Trade Bait or do they end their careers with the Jets?

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
Keep Little and Wheeler for as long as possible. Buff may be our most valuable asset, and can be a game changer, but I hate it when he has off days. A real toss up if I want to keep Buff here for another 4-5 years.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
I love Wheeler but he'll be 34 at the end of his current contract. I don't want Wheeler past his current contract unless it's a 1-2 year deal and he's still producing at a high level at age 34.

He'll be 32 at the end of this deal and 33 before the seson starts on his new deal....he is 30 right now and 31 in August.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I love Wheeler but he'll be 34 at the end of his current contract. I don't want Wheeler past his current contract unless it's a 1-2 year deal and he's still producing at a high level at age 34.

Wheeler will be 32 when his current contract ends. He turns 33 two months later.

csk

Nov 5, 2015
Winnipeg, MB

This is the thing. It's tough to have this discussion until we know how well he's playing by then

olli

Unregistered User
Dec 2, 2016
cÃnÃdÃ
Keep Little and Wheeler for as long as possible. Buff may be our most valuable asset, and can be a game changer, but I hate it when he has off days. A real toss up if I want to keep Buff here for another 4-5 years.
Yeah he'll eventually slow down. Might be a good idea to trade him before his 7.6 cap hit is crazy If the younger guys can fill his void.

Asiantuntija

C.Ronaldo > L.Messi
Nov 4, 2016
I think we should trade Little. He is having very hard time to find chemistry with Laine and i like to have two centers who match with our best player in future. He can't always play with Scheifele.

Peggy

Aug 6, 2016
I think we should trade Little. He is having very hard time to find chemistry with Laine and i like to have two centers who match with our best player in future. He can't always play with Scheifele.

Laine isn't the only player on the team

You trade Little and what other centre do you have?

If that's your strategy of creating a stanley cup team I'd have to trade Laine because it seems Laine is becoming the issue then and Not Little lol

You've convinced me
Trade Laine for a centre :p

Last edited:

Asiantuntija

C.Ronaldo > L.Messi
Nov 4, 2016
Laine isn't the only player on the team

You trade Little and what other centre do you have?

If that's your strategy of creating a stanley cup team I'd have to trade Laine because it seems Laine is becoming the issue then and Not Little lol

You've convinced me
Trade Laine for a centre :p

Who said he is the only player on the team? He is the most promising winger of the whole game, so maybe we should build around with him rather than Little?

I trade Little and get other center back? Not a rocket science man.

My strategy of creating stanley cup team is the chemistry between the players. If our second line has two players, which can't set each other up even two times in five games something needs to change. Of course you can think Laine as a issue, but he does very well with every other player, like Perreault or Stafford.

Bad mistake. If we trade most promising winger to center our chances to the Stanley Cup are even lower. We already have pretty good centers, no need for more guys, but i think we could do even better if we change Little to some other center. Maybe you should refresh your strategy about creating Stanley Cup team.

jiho

Apr 30, 2012
I look at Byfluglien being traded like Montreal trading PK Subban.

May not be popular, but, we need a defensman who makes defense a priority.

Or if we had a coach who demanded Buff play the proper way rather than letting him do what he wants out on the ice. Karlsson was a rover like Buff, but Boucher has got him playing defense and still a major threat on offense. Buff should watch some Karlsson video this summer instead of going fishing.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
Honestly, I'd guess that if you fix Jets goaltending and improve the Jets backend health you'd improve all these issues people have with Byfuglien without even talking to him.

1) Mistakes always look uglier when goalies never stop them
2) Too many minutes due to most of the alternatives being barely AHL calibre gasses anyone out leading to more mistakes
3) Trailing often and early leads to offensive players being used even more, leading to more mistakes
4) Trailing often and early encourages players to make more risks since defensive pressure is lower trailing by one than the offensive pressure at that point

There's also the TOI factor likely going down naturally as Trouba plays more

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
All three are very likely, but Little and Buff are the ones most likely in my opinion. Wheeler I could see getting traded sometime.

Scheifele is the one I see spending his entire career here.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg

Can see Roslovic being a good linemate for Laine at other times.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
IMO Little and Wheeler retire as Jets. Little signs an extension in July. Maybe Buff gets moved in a year or 2 depending on the outcome of the Trouba situation. This team is young enough without moving out the quality vets that are still key contributors.

Peggy

Aug 6, 2016
Who said he is the only player on the team? He is the most promising winger of the whole game, so maybe we should build around with him rather than Little?

I trade Little and get other center back? Not a rocket science man.

My strategy of creating stanley cup team is the chemistry between the players. If our second line has two players, which can't set each other up even two times in five games something needs to change. Of course you can think Laine as a issue, but he does very well with every other player, like Perreault or Stafford.

Bad mistake. If we trade most promising winger to center our chances to the Stanley Cup are even lower. We already have pretty good centers, no need for more guys, but i think we could do even better if we change Little to some other center. Maybe you should refresh your strategy about creating Stanley Cup team.

Your main issue is Laine isn't playing well with Little so we should trade Little

But Little is still our best centre in the dot, a legit 1b centre and plays well with everyone else who he centres

Laine isn't a centre he's a winger
Hes not gonna be replacing Little's spot is he?

I was joking about trading, but your concern about how every player should help Laine out isn't a good building system

But if we want to go there. If the sabres traded eichel for Laine
Wed have

Scheifele
Eichel
Little down the middle

Roslovic could go on a wing or even scheifele if need be

Obviously I'd rather keep Laine, but that's a really strong middle

Last edited:

csk

Nov 5, 2015
Winnipeg, MB

I don't know where this narrative is coming from. I thought Laine & Little looked great together.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
This is again showing how good Matty P. is

And Wheeler.

I think the Little-Laine thing has less to do with Little being a bad fit chemistry wise and more just:
1) less time with Perreault
2) Scheifele is just relatively better overall for everyone

Chemistry effects look more like we saw with Petan where we had >60% with the good players and <40% with the bad players.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad