What's your Goaltending for next year?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Riverfront

Jan 5, 2015
Mario Culina overage goaltender that played with the Kitchener Rangers in the ohl has been invited to the Canes development camp at the end
of June. Good pick up by the Canes, he can surprise hopefully he has a good week and gets offered a contract. Played real well in the ohl playoffs this past season.

Bunch of Jurcos

The poster formally known as Hedley
Feb 24, 2016
So when I looked up Mario Culina's stats I saw unfamiliar numbers .919 and .917. I know that's just juniors but I wouldn't know how to act if the Hurricanes had that right now. What does that even look like? When is the last time the Canes had numbers even close to that? I had to find the answer to that:

Cam had a .915 in the 11-12 season as the #1.
Khudobin had a .926 in 36 games played in 13-14.

No wonder I'm having trouble remembering. It's been a minute.

Last edited:

Tryamw

Loyal Fan of Jerks
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2016
Durham
So when I looked up Mario Culina's stats I saw unfamiliar numbers .919 and .917. I know that's just juniors but I wouldn't know how to act if the Hurricanes had that right now. What does that even look like? When is the last time the Canes had numbers even close to that? I had to find the answer to that:

Cam had a .915 in the 11-12 season as the #1.
Khudobin had a .926 in 36 games played in 13-14.

No wonder I'm having trouble remembering. It's been a minute.
I think those numbers are lying no way we can have a goal tender that tends the goal and keeps the puck out!. That's just an urban legend. something that only other teams get.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
Mario Culina overage goaltender that played with the Kitchener Rangers in the ohl has been invited to the Canes development camp at the end
of June. Good pick up by the Canes, he can surprise hopefully he has a good week and gets offered a contract. Played real well in the ohl playoffs this past season.
His Sv% just fell by 0.035 just by being included in the same sentence as the Canes

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
That's news to me. Can you point to where you saw that?

Literally took me three weeks, but I found it.

Now, as for the goaltending, upon which Brind'Amour's ultimate success is likely to depend, that remains as unresolved as ever. The Hurricanes hope a fitter, more focused Scott Darling can still be an NHL starter, and pushed hard to get him on the U.S. team for the World Championships in an attempt to boost his confidence. But after he essentially cost both his coach and general manager their jobs in his disastrous first 12 months with the team, only a credulous idiot would count on Darling at this point.

Full story: Rod Brind'Amour's mandate as Canes coach is simple: It's the culture, stupid

Hulkacaniac

You MUST
Jun 4, 2015
NC

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
I'd rather target Samsonov from the Caps since Holtby is going nowhere after the cup.

Another backup behind the cup champs playing 30 games....doesn't look good.

Samsonov at least has staerter potential. If you're moving a high pick or someone like Faulk it can't be for a soon to be overpaid backup.
I'm not really sold on Grubs either, but I think they'd move him before Samsonov. Pretty sure their plan would be to bring him in and groom him for a few years as they transition him to NA hockey from a backup to starter role

Last edited:

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
I think we're going to be gunshy no matter who we target. We've tried a lot of things that haven't worked and there's no real reason to think the next thing we try will work out any better. Right now, we could pick apart every single goalie on the planet.

Think of it this way, which goalie would you feel 100 percent confident we're going to the playoffs with if we acquired him?

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I read on the main board that against "good" teams, Grubauer had like a .905 SV%. Now, that make sense and probably every goalie has a better SV% against worse teams than good teams. I don't know where to find that data, but I wonder what Grubauer's SV% was against playoff and non-playoff teams and what Ward's was?

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
I think we're going to be gunshy no matter who we target. We've tried a lot of things that haven't worked and there's no real reason to think the next thing we try will work out any better. Right now, we could pick apart every single goalie on the planet.

Think of it this way, which goalie would you feel 100 percent confident we're going to the playoffs with if we acquired him?

Quick
Holtby
Bobrovsky
Lundqvist
Vasilevsky
Crawford (if healthy)
Price

SlavinAway

Registered Jerk
Sponsor
Jul 7, 2017
I wouldn’t be opposed to re-signing Cam if we plan to move, buy out, or send Darling to Charlotte. Cam looked really good in a back up role last year and didn’t drop off until we had to start riding him again. Plus from everything I hear he brings a lot of leadership to the locker room.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
I read on the main board that against "good" teams, Grubauer had like a .905 SV%. Now, that make sense and probably every goalie has a better SV% against worse teams than good teams. I don't know where to find that data, but I wonder what Grubauer's SV% was against playoff and non-playoff teams and what Ward's was?
I know you can probably do this with any goalie, but as was mentioned, there was an 8 spot against Philly that probably skews it a bit. The Caps weren't great in front of him early as I recall either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad