What's your Goaltending for next year?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Yes, yes it is. Been making a major push for us to go after him. He's been on my radar since the 2016 WJC where Finland won, though it was in his next showing where he stood out despite a poor showing by the Finns and this past year where he flat out dominated Liiga that his stock really took off for me. He's still draft eligible but if we can sign him to an ELC as a UFA before then then absolutely by god do it. Biggest thing to keep in mind is that he was the best goalie in Liiga and he just turned 21 this past February. He'll be on a 3 year ELC so that acts as a MASSIVE cushion for when he clearly outplays Darling in camp. Can't say I'd mind a tandem of Vehvilainen and Lehner or Vehvilainen and Bernier, would be a significant upgrade on this past year.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Is that possible? What are the rules for signing a guy after he goes through a draft and is not picked vs. the guy reentering another draft?
Not sure, I know there's a window after the draft during team camps (it's how we got Tolchinsky) but currently I don't think it is. I still would spend a pick on him, even our 2nd, if we can guarantee that we get the guy.

Hulkacaniac

You MUST
Jun 4, 2015
NC
Carolina Ermines
BoKTM3.gif

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Not sure, I know there's a window after the draft during team camps (it's how we got Tolchinsky) but currently I don't think it is. I still would spend a pick on him, even our 2nd, if we can guarantee that we get the guy.

Tolchinsky was different because he played in North America so the ability to enter the league as a free agent is at an earlier age. I think the rule for overseas players is they have to be 22 or older to come to the league as a free agent, but I'm not sure.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
REALLY starting to think we're going to need to use our 2nd on Vehvilainen just to make sure that we ****ing get him at this point.

"Well, we tried to draft Vehvilainen this year, but we had him not valued as a 2nd round pick and then he was selected before our first 4th round pick of the draft.

And with that, we'd like to turn over the rest of the interview to Darling and Cam to talk about our resigning of Cam Ward and the goal tending going forward..."

Jun 21, 2016
Latvia
"Well, we tried to draft Vehvilainen this year, but we had him not valued as a 2nd round pick and then he was selected before our first 4th round pick of the draft.

And with that, we'd like to turn over the rest of the interview to Darling and Cam to talk about our resigning of Cam Ward and the goal tending going forward..."
I puked in my mouth a little bit

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC

Bunch of Jurcos

The poster formally known as Hedley
Feb 24, 2016
I am a bit confused after checking out Vehvilainen's stats. He has been performing at a very high level but does the level of competition equate to the AHL here or a lesser NHL? Would he be brought in to challenge for an NHL spot off top or not?

Last edited:

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
I wouldn't be surprised if they would let him compete if the land him by draft or signing, but I would not be surprised if he isn't ready yet. Seems like wishful thinking to want him to come over here and be the answer or even one of the answers. Same with the other guys we're missing out on. And it wouldn't shock me if we were in on some of these other goalies, but we just weren't their top choice. We probably don't have a great reputation when it comes to goalies, though they should take heart that you can be mediocre or worse and stick around for years here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad