What's wrong with this picture?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr_Chimera*

The Albino said:
Do you have a link to the video of the goal? This photo seems pretty incriminating, though it's possible it was caught right after entry into the offensive zone and he pulled the puck back a tad. So, they'd still be onside. We'd need to see the vid in slow-mo to see.

Well, according to my source in Finland (and he's of Finnish descent, so no bias), it was offside.

I'd be more pissed had Russia actually DESERVED to win this game - they tempted fate and lost, but it's unfortunate that the referees screwed this up completely, as the outcome may have been completely different.

Dr_Chimera*

Crosbyfan said:
Don't blame the refs it was CSKA's posts; Remember?
SSSSSSSSHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIBBBBBBBUUUUUUUUUUUU!!!

Hey, I won't even start on the whole karma argument.

chicpea*

Dr_Chimera said:
Thanks to the refs for deciding this tournament. :mad:

http://koti.mbnet.fi/~spelman/paitsio.jpg

heh, yeah, that looks pretty blatant alright. But, as noted, it could've been already in the zone and he was pulling back - I doubt it though based on where the 2nd winger is. Bad call I'd say. If it makes you feel any better - the Czechs got absolutely ripped off in their first game against us - the puck clearly passed Fleury and was in the net.

Maybe we should have video-review at the WJCs? It would have made the Czech-Canada game closer and would've exonerated Phaneuf.

Douggy

Dec 22, 2002
London, Ontario
Visit site
Just because the player is currently ahead of the puck doesn't mean its offside. If your pic showed the puck outside the zone, it would've been a different story.

Canadian

Mar 1, 2002
Markham, Ontario
If you thought that was bad, let's go back to the 2002 WJHC Gold Medal Game, if I remember correctly, Canada was down by one to the Russians in the final period and with a few seconds left in the game, the Russian netminder pushed the net off on purpose. Correct me if I'm wrong, but when an opposing team is in another team's zone and if the goaltender knocks off the net on purpose with a final few seconds left in the game, shouldn't that be a penalty shot? Remember, this was a one goal game differential and Jason Spezza was in that slump of his, earlier in that game, he took a shot that went off the crossbar.

Aaron Vickers

FCHockey
Mar 4, 2002
Calgary, AB
www.nhlentrydraft.com
Judging purely by that picture, that play is on-side, is it not? The puck is not out of the zone, so wouldn't that make the play onside?

Now whether or not the finnish player entered the zone before the puck, that would require a video.

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
Aaron Vickers said:
Judging purely by that picture, that play is on-side, is it not? The puck is not out of the zone, so wouldn't that make the play onside?

Now whether or not the finnish player entered the zone before the puck, that would require a video.

It was a bizarre goal anyway. Even more bizarre if that was onside!

ZombieMatt

May 20, 2002
I think we've all figured out that you can't complain about officiating in this tournament.

It is terrible.

Face it, deal with it, move on.

They make ridiculous calls on penalties, miss offsides, in the past have missed players intentionally knocking the net off its moorings, make questionable decisions when to call off icing...I mean, it is a staple of this tournament.

Besides, its all a moot point if the goalie could just catch a weak floater.

Bill McNeal

Jul 19, 2003
Montreal
Zoidberg said:
That's onside - at least to me. A puck can be touching any part of the blue line to be onside, it doesn't have to be completely in.

Please tell me your post total is due to some modifying :)

Dr_Chimera*

Zoidberg said:
That's onside - at least to me. A puck can be touching any part of the blue line to be onside, it doesn't have to be completely in.

That's bright of you, but where were they a second before that shot was made?

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site
The picture doesn't prove anything. Even if is was offside the goalie should have stopped a weak shot. Face it Russia didn't have a good team and blaming the linesmen is low. Even though this picture doesn't even prove that it was offside.

Dr_Chimera*

canucksfan said:
The picture doesn't prove anything. Even if is was offside the goalie should have stopped a weak shot. Face it Russia didn't have a good team and blaming the linesmen is low. Even though this picture doesn't even prove that it was offside.

People are saying that it's offside. I have Finnish hockey fans saying that it was offside.

That said, my post shouldn't serve to say that this call cost Russia a shot at the gold medal. They deserved what they got - you play with fire, you get burned. End of story.

That said, the brutal calls by the referees and the linesmen in this tournament is clearly illustrated in this specific play.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
I admit it's been over 2 days since the game but I do remember from the replays that Bergenheim cleared the off side, then circled back in to the zone. IIRC, Filppula carrie the puck over the line then pulled it back a little but not back into the neutral zone. That's my vagueish memory.

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
Jussi said:
I admit it's been over 2 days since the game but I do remember from the replays that Bergenheim cleared the off side, then circled back in to the zone. IIRC, Filppula carrie the puck over the line then pulled it back a little but not back into the neutral zone. That's my vagueish memory.

Looking at it that seems quite possible; Maybe as high as the 0.001 percent range!

Sammy*

Canadian said:
If you thought that was bad, let's go back to the 2002 WJHC Gold Medal Game, if I remember correctly, Canada was down by one to the Russians in the final period and with a few seconds left in the game, the Russian netminder pushed the net off on purpose. Correct me if I'm wrong, but when an opposing team is in another team's zone and if the goaltender knocks off the net on purpose with a final few seconds left in the game, shouldn't that be a penalty shot? Remember, this was a one goal game differential and Jason Spezza was in that slump of his, earlier in that game, he took a shot that went off the crossbar.
The silence is deafening.

PecaFan

Nov 16, 2002
Ottawa (Go 'Nucks)
Um, folks, that's the wrong side of blue line to be freeze framing an offside picture. It's *not* the side closer to the net, it's the side closer to centre ice, the outer edge. NHL Rule 74a. Doesn't surprise me, most folks get it wrong, which is why I usually scoff at those screaming "offside!"

To prove it's offside, freeze frame it the millisecond the puck completely enters the blue line.

Slay

May 24, 2003
Krasnoyarsk
Canadian said:

Ooook let's go back to the 2002 WJHC Gold Medal Game.

Here the reply of that moment:

http://alexovechkin.narod.ru/video/wjc2002b.avi

The net was pushed off about half a second - a second till the end of the 3rd period and it doesn't look for me that it was made by purpose by the goalie. I don't know that could be a penalty shot for THAT.

Since you mentioned that game, here are some potentially key referee mistakes vs Russian team:

First goal of Canadian team was scored (on 20th second of 1st period) illegaly: Stoll just pushed the puck by hand to Sutherby and I don't think that it is legal eh; here the video replies:

http://alexovechkin.narod.ru/video/wjc2002a.avi
http://alexovechkin.narod.ru/video/wjc2002a2.avi

During 4-3 leading of Russian team Volchenkov got a penalty for elbowing but in my opinion it was clear shoulder hit; during that power play Canada tied the scored; video reply:

http://alexovechkin.narod.ru/video/wjc2002_volch.avi

I hope I satisfactied your curiosity about that Gold Medal Game ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad