What's wrong with the luxury tax

Status
Not open for further replies.

jcpenny

Aug 8, 2002
Montréal
Visit site
Bettman says that the tax will no prevent the salaries to go down but if it is harsh enough why not? Eveybody is saying that its the way to go except Bettman,why? Is it his infatuation with the salary cap that's blinding him or the tax is not the way?

Street Hawk

Feb 18, 2003
Visit site
Nba

jcpenny said:
Bettman says that the tax will no prevent the salaries to go down but if it is harsh enough why not? Eveybody is saying that its the way to go except Bettman,why? Is it his infatuation with the salary cap that's blinding him or the tax is not the way?

Check out the thread of this page called:

What's the other three major sports CBA's?

Someone posted what the NBA team payrolls are and it clearly shows that 26 of the 30 teams are over that threshold.

That's why the NBA will lockout its players come next October.

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
jcpenny said:

A luxury tax can definitly work. But the inner workings of the tax would need to be extremely ridiculous, IMO.

I think a cap might be more straightforward and work for all parties, just as a tax could.

By constantly talking about a cap, ownership has been able to force the ruthless, dishonorable, whiny, lunatic, spoiled union to finally recognize in part the problems and offer something substantial.

I think some of Bettman's position at this point is posturing. I don't believe he is nearly as fixated on a cap as he claims to be and with the right *sane* proposal from the NHLPA without a cap, he would consider it.

There are many forms of caps, taxes and ways to tie revenues to salaries. The particular form that will take the next CBA is irrelevant as far as style goes. But the substance needs to be there.

At first I was disappointed that ownership came back only with a cap. I think they could have laid out two proposals. One with a cap, one with a tax. But further thinking about it, maybe now is not the right time. The more the clock ticks, the better this deal will be for the owners. If they had given up on the idea of the cap now, the players would never have backed down.

Silver

Mar 23, 2002
California
Visit site
A luxury tax won't work, because when that term gets brought up, both sides are talking about different things.

From the NHLPA perspective, it's a small tax. Just to put a little brake on salaries.

From the NHL side, it'd be a very harsh, very punitive tax.

Which the NHLPA would call a de facto salary cap.

Back to square one...

Son of Steinbrenner

Jul 9, 2003
Top Shelf said:
See Major League Baseball.
whats wrong with major league baseball? you do realize the money the yankees pay goes back to the small market teams. funny nobody complains about the luxary tax when that check is written. you do also realize that nobody complains about they yankees when they come to town and sell out. baseball has never been as healthy as it is today.

jcpenny

Aug 8, 2002
Montréal
Visit site
Silver said:
A luxury tax won't work, because when that term gets brought up, both sides are talking about different things.

From the NHLPA perspective, it's a small tax. Just to put a little brake on salaries.

Which the NHLPA would call a de facto salary cap.

Back to square one...
Thanks its clearer now for me. I think that if they lose this this season everbody come out losers. They'll lose the fans, eventually teams, sponsers, any kind of TV deal posible and a bundle of money. I dont see no good comin out of this.

Silver

Mar 23, 2002
California
Visit site
Son of Steinbrenner said:
whats wrong with major league baseball?

Besides the boring fact that the Yankees are in the playoffs every year, the commissioner manages to stick up a city for a new ballpark and the players are juicier than watermelons?

Not much I guess. People still watch it. But people drink Coors too. There's no accounting for taste.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Vlad The Impaler said:
A luxury tax can definitly work. But the inner workings of the tax would need to be extremely ridiculous, IMO.

I think a cap might be more straightforward and work for all parties, just as a tax could.

By constantly talking about a cap, ownership has been able to force the ruthless, dishonorable, whiny, lunatic, spoiled union to finally recognize in part the problems and offer something substantial.

I think some of Bettman's position at this point is posturing. I don't believe he is nearly as fixated on a cap as he claims to be and with the right *sane* proposal from the NHLPA without a cap, he would consider it.

In real estate the three main things are "location, location and location". Bettman is standing in the best location. Right now the "cap" position is the prime location, if he is forced to call an impasse he calls it from his "cap location". The man would be a fool to go discussing other option because that blows away his strength at any hypothetical impasse.

Bettman is not going to move from his "cap position" unless he gets an offer from the union he can't refuse. I agree with Vlad in that I don't think the cap isn't the be all and end all of his thinking. IMHO he'd take a luxury tax if he thought it could be worked through and had teeth to work. He can do nothing and get stronger, its up to the union to come to him with their next blink. The NHLPAs 24% reduction was excellent, now if they come back with a $1 for $1 cap in the $35-40m range and tie salaries to that -24% level for the duration of the CBA then I think Bettman is tempted down from his "cap or death" perch.

If you are on the high ground in a battle you don't charge down the hill and give up your advantage, you make your opponents run up the hill so they are exhausted by the time they get to you.

There are many forms of caps, taxes and ways to tie revenues to
salaries. The particular form that will take the next CBA is irrelevant as far as style goes. But the substance needs to be there.

At first I was disappointed that ownership came back only with a cap. I think they could have laid out two proposals. One with a cap, one with a tax. But further thinking about it, maybe now is not the right time. The more the clock ticks, the better this deal will be for the owners. If they had given up on the idea of the cap now, the players would never have backed down.

Yep, bide their time. While they don't move from the cost certainly position it makes the impasse threat more valid.

Last edited:

Son of Steinbrenner

Jul 9, 2003
Silver said:
Besides the boring fact that the Yankees are in the playoffs every year, the commissioner manages to stick up a city for a new ballpark and the players are juicier than watermelons?

Not much I guess. People still watch it. But people drink Coors too. There's no accounting for taste.
the braves are in the playoffs every year. they aren't a large market team funny you just bring up the yankees :dunno:

Boomhower

Aug 23, 2003
Ontario
Visit site
Silver said:

The NHL won't even talk about a Luxury tax and doesn't view such an option as a viable solution, so really who's to say what their idea of a Luxury tax is.

The NHL can't negotiate off a luxury tax for an obvious reason, the teams that were the biggest losers last year (least profitiable), The St.Louis Blues and Anaheim Mighty Ducks of the world, would also have had payrolls that would far surpass any luxury tax threshold. Does it really make sense to further gouge the teams that were already losing the most? Keep in mind Bettman has to look out for the interests of all 30 franchises.

Anyways the only things the league will negotiate off are 'cost certainty', 'linkage' and a 'hard cap'. Bettman seems more disgusted when there is mention of a luxury tax, than he does when the term 'open market place' comes up.

SENSible1*

me2 said:
In real estate the three main things are "location, location and location". Bettman is standing in the best location. Right now the "cap" position is the prime location, if he is forced to call an impasse he calls it from his "cap location". The man would be a fool to go discussing other option because that blows away his strength at any hypothetical impasse.

Bettman is not going to move from his "cap position" unless he gets an offer from the union he can't refuse. I agree with Vlad in that I don't think the cap isn't the be all and end all of his thinking. IMHO he'd take a luxury tax if he thought it could be worked through and had teeth to work. He can do nothing and get stronger, its up to the union to come to him with their next blink. The NHLPAs 24% reduction was excellent, now if they come back with a $1 for $1 cap in the $35-40m range and tie salaries to that -24% level for the duration of the CBA then I think Bettman is tempted down from his "cap or death" perch.

If you are on the high ground in a battle you don't charge down the hill and give up your advantage, you make your opponents run up the hill so they are exhausted by the time they get to you.

Yep, bide their time. While they don't move from the cost certainly position it makes the impasse threat more valid.

Good post.

One factor that plays into the cap/luxury tax scenario from Bettmans POV is that the big markets are willing to lose their competitive advantage over the small markets due to the size of the potential payoff in a salary cap scenario. If they are forced to give up their built in excuse (cap) for not signing players, see their profits drop while their payroll increases due to fan pressure and are forced to give money to their competitors under a luxury tax, I think the big markets support for Bettman would dwindle.

Cost certainty is the best way to keep ALL the owners firmly behind him.

Brent Burns Beard