Whats up with New Jersey?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr BLUEandWHITE

Nov 14, 2005
Toronto
There home attendance has not been that good this season and i think that there arena may be one of the oldest in the league. is the arena in a bad location? also I know they are getting a new arena in the near future can people expect better attendance in new jersey with a new arena? and is the location of this arena going to be better?

sveiglar

Feb 27, 2002
The new arena is going to be in downtown Newark with public transit / rail lines stopping right at the arena, as I understand it. I've never been to the C.A.A in East Rutherford, but some say it's in a terrible spot for traffic, nothing around it, etc.

Whether or not they draw more in the new arena remains to be seen, but one thing is certain; the popular excuses will have largely been eliminated, so it will be time to put up or shut up.

nyrmessier011

Feb 9, 2005
Charlotte/NYC
the area isn't the best. the arena isn't the best. it doesn't help when you have the highest average ticket price and the rangers and flyers near by.

Mr BLUEandWHITE

Nov 14, 2005
Toronto
also are the islanders getting a new arena? and i heard if they were it might be in brooklyn. whould they change there names to brooklyn islanders. i mean isnt brooklyn in ny

kdb209

Jan 26, 2005
Mr BLUEandWHITE said:
also are the islanders getting a new arena? and i heard if they were it might be in brooklyn. whould they change there names to brooklyn islanders. i mean isnt brooklyn in ny

No. The new arena being planned in Brooklyn is for the New Jersey Nets. The new Nets' owner is trying to build a new Arena in Brooknlyn and move th Nets there.

The Islanders are trying to get a new or remodelled arena at the current Coliseum site as part of a massive real estate development plan - either Wang's Lighthouse development with hotels, retail, and office space, including a 60 story office tower, or other competing plans that have been submitted.

The only Isles connection to Brooklyn is that there has been some speculation that if all the real estate development deals fall through, then Brooklyn may be a better option than Portland or Houston.

Rumblick

Nov 23, 2004
I - 78
The Islanders mentioned Brooklyn (and also Suffolk County) to get the Nassau people off their duffs and on to approving the LightHouse project (Wang's vision of the new arena).

BTW, Brooklyn is part of Long Island, so the Islander name could survive.

abev

Sep 30, 2005
NY
www.fakepuppy.com
Mr BLUEandWHITE said:
There home attendance has not been that good this season and i think that there arena may be one of the oldest in the league. is the arena in a bad location? also I know they are getting a new arena in the near future can people expect better attendance in new jersey with a new arena? and is the location of this arena going to be better?

To get back on topic...AFAIR the arena was built in 1982. Its a decent enough modern multi-purpose arena. 2 decks with a common concourse (everybody uses the same corridor to access the 1st ans 2nd deck). Seats are comfy and *lots* more room than my home arena, Madison Square Garden. For me, it has great access by car (there really is no other way to get there, bus is probly your only other choice) as I am in the western suburbs of NYC. For those of you who have never seen the area, it is kinda stuck in no-mans-land (in a swamp) between heavily populated suburbs of NYC. Only 8 miles from Manhattan, but anywhere from 30-60 mins by car. Basically the draw for the Devils is from NYC and west/south.

The attendance has always been poor. Easily the best of the 3 NY teams in the last 10 years, it has drawn the least in attendance and is still arguably the 3rd team in the NY area. It is not uncommon to have 11k mid season (19k capacity)

As for the new arena, I am not sure how the attendance will improve. It will be about 10 mi south of the exisiting arena located in the City of Newark. I dont live there, but Newark (I dont think) is the hotbed of hockey. Newark is more noted for the car-jacking capital of the US. Maybe they feel they will tap into more the south Jersey market, even though its only about 10 mins closer for south jerseyites. The other thing that may help is that it will be in a city with access to mass-transit.

The arena does look *amazing*. I am looking forward to seeing it.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Dango said:
The Islanders mentioned Brooklyn (and also Suffolk County) to get the Nassau people off their duffs and on to approving the LightHouse project (Wang's vision of the new arena).

BTW, Brooklyn is part of Long Island, so the Islander name could survive.

Brooklyn is not part of Long Island.Nassau and Suffolk counties make up Long Island.Brooklyn is part of five boroughs which make up New York City

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
That arena(now the CAA-formerly the Brendan Byrne Arena)was built for the Rangers and Knicks.New Jersey wanted to lure both teams to Meadowlands.New York basically gave the then-owners of the Garden a sweet deal to remain in New York.Then John McMullen made the deal to bring the Rockies to New Jersey.He then paid millions of $$$ to the Rangers and Flyers for infringing in their territories.The CAA arena is on a highway.Exit 16W.East Rutherford,New Jersey.Surrounded by Giants Stadium,the Meadowlands horse track and a bunch of swamps

Rumblick

Nov 23, 2004
I - 78
RangerBoy said:
Brooklyn is not part of Long Island.Nassau and Suffolk counties make up Long Island.Brooklyn is part of five boroughs which make up New York City

Look at a map. You'll see that Brooklyn is indeed part of the Island. In name and politics, it's part of the city, but geographically, "the Island of Long" includes my birthplace.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Dango said:
Look at a map. You'll see that Brooklyn is indeed part of the Island. In name and politics, it's part of the city, but geographically, "the Island of Long" includes my birthplace.

Geographically,yes.Ask any Brooklyn native,did you live in NYC or on LI?They will tell you NYC.I was born and raised in Brooklyn.It's not LI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad