whats to stop teams from.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

wazee

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
A couple of thoughts...and if I thought of this in the few minutes it took me to read this thread, you can bet the lawyers have already considered the possibilities...

A simple clause in the CBA stating that a player cannot be bought out for 1 year after a trade would stop most of the shenanigans. Is there one? Who knows. But I doubt a loophole as big as the one in the first post in this thread slipped by the negotiators and the lawyers.

Also...in the past, the league has frowned on including money as part of a trade. I am not sure this was part of the old CBA or if it was just league policy, but it will be worth watching to see how it is handled in the new CBA. I doubt any trade that included money needed to buy out the traded player would have been approved by the league under the old CBA...and I think it will be even less likely under the new one.

Dr Love

Mar 22, 2002
Location, Location!
boredmale said:
Trading a player they would buy out to another team, having them buy the player out(assuming they give them the finances), then resigning them to a lesser deal? (all under the table of coarse)

You might see a deal go down like this.

Philly trades Amonte to Detroit for Hatcher(both make roughly the same cash). Both teams buy the other guy out. Philly has an under the table deal for amonte to sign there for like a million bukcs and same with hatcher in detroit.
Because what you are suggesting is collusion.

MojoJojo

Jan 31, 2003
Philadelphia
Visit site
The Messenger said:
What happens if the bought out player can not find work with another team yet his former team would gladly take him back at a reduced rate ..
Then the player is getting paid 2/3rds of his salary, likely millions of dollars a year, to sit around and watch TV eating nachos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad