What's the upside to this playoff format?

Status
Not open for further replies.

c9777666

Aug 31, 2016
#4 is playing #2 in both conference- not just Leafs/Bruins, but Wild/Jets.

We saw this last year with Columbus/Pittsburgh (2 vs. 3), but also St. Louis/Chicago in 2016 (4th place Hawks whom under the old format host a 5 seed had to play the #2 team in the West and #4 overall in that stacked Blues team).

I get it, I get it, the NHL wants rivalries and they want to recapture why some people loved that 80s/90s format.... but when some divisions are really stacked, it just doesn't feel right.

TB/BOS and WPG/NSH if form holds will be 2 conference final caliber matchups in round 2! Same thing happened with STL/DAL and PIT/WSH 2 years ago.

It kinda hurts the third round (4 of the 8 conference finals since 2014 would have been 2nd round showdowns if you reseeded).

It almost feels like if you're a strong #3/#4 team in your conference, this format doesn't reward it like it used to.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
The format is stupid because it leads to us seeing dry, played out matchups like SJ/LA, WSH/PIT, WSH/NYR, etc, and it leads to us seeing conference finals level matchups in the 2nd round every year.

I mean, it makes us see certain matchups more often, but I don't think it really makes matchups worse for #3/4 seeds. Most teams between 3-6 are often separated by a small number of points. Vegas is the #3 seed and would play SJ in the first round if we used the old 1-8 format - who they play was decided on the final day of the season. Yet, right now, SJ looks like they were the most threatening opponent for Vegas - the new format may have helped Vegas, a strong #3 seed.

Last edited:

Nasti

Jan 30, 2006
Long Beach, CA
Other than the seeding of the division winner, there’s pretty much no point in having divisions if you go back to top 8 in the conference. The current system also allows for people out west to have a better chance at having games be played later so they have time to leave work rather than missing the first period (unless you DVR) because the game starts at 5pm.

AdmiralsFan24

Mar 22, 2011
Wisconsin
Other than the seeding of the division winner, there’s pretty much no point in having divisions if you go back to top 8 in the conference. The current system also allows for people out west to have a better chance at having games be played later so they have time to leave work rather than missing the first period (unless you DVR) because the game starts at 5pm.

How often do those games actually start at 5 pm though? The Predators played the Ducks and the Sharks in the playoffs two years ago. Two games against the Ducks started at 5 pm in Anaheim, which obviously isn't ideal but the other game started at 8:45 pm in Nashville, which is even less ideal. All 3 games in Nashville against the Sharks started at 8 pm Central time. So if anything, teams in the Central Division are getting the short end of the stick viewing wise. Not only are road games against teams in the Pacific Division starting late but they also have some of their home games starting at close to 9 pm local time and several others starting after 8 pm.

Nasti

Jan 30, 2006
Long Beach, CA
How often do those games actually start at 5 pm though? The Predators played the Ducks and the Sharks in the playoffs two years ago. Two games against the Ducks started at 5 pm in Anaheim, which obviously isn't ideal but the other game started at 8:45 pm in Nashville, which is even less ideal. All 3 games in Nashville against the Sharks started at 8 pm Central time. So if anything, teams in the Central Division are getting the short end of the stick viewing wise. Not only are road games against teams in the Pacific Division starting late but they also have some of their home games starting at close to 9 pm local time and several others starting after 8 pm.

So what you’re saying is that those start times suck for everyone. You’re making my argument for me. The 1-8 system made the matchups between central and pacific teams far more frequent.

AssaultPK

Jul 22, 2014
I like this format tbh.

If you want to be the best you’ve got to beat the best. Love Ovi but didn’t he come out once and say that it sucks he has to play Pittsburgh in the second round every year? Hey if you want to win a cup then you have to beat them eventually.

Also I see a lot of people complaining about the Bruins/Leafs series but in the old format the Leafs would be playing the Penguins. That is not a better matchup for them, home ice ‘advantage’ or not.

Reactions: Tage2Tuch

saskriders

Can't Hold Leads
Sep 11, 2010
Calgary
I don't understand why HF hates this format so much. I love seeing rivalries spur from it, and I love seeing rivals player each other again. Sure, the divisions aren't always going to be perfectly balanced, but why is that such a big deal? There is still parity in this league, whether teams are "good" or "bad" can and will change, and what is a strong division now may not be one in 5 years time. If you want perfect balance you have to have the seeds 1 vs 16, 2 vs 15 etc and then not only does it discourage rivalries, but it also means that there is a realistic chance that you might have some matchup like Florida (1) vs Vancouver (16) where the winner has to play the winner of Rangers (8) vs Islanders (9). Because it is totally fair to have absolutely no consideration for travel and that even finishing as a higher seed could mean thousands of kilometres of more travel. At least with the first two rounds being divisional and the third being within the conference provides some limitations on how much travel a team will have.

I would also prefer to see the regular season have more games inside the division. Not just because it encourages rivalries and limits travel, but also because it means less games in timezones that are unfriendly to fans (and I would argue players too, how often do you see an eastern team go years and years without winning in a west coast city), more meaningful "four point games", and that when teams competing for the same playoff spots have more similar schedules (ie playing the same teams the same number of times instead of playing some teams four times and some teams five times) the standings are more reflective of how good they are compared to their competitors (in this case the other teams in the division).

Reactions: Mez and NyQuil

WhiteLightning91

Jul 26, 2007
The league can hide behind whatever facade they like, whether it be the creating of rivalries, or they want to keep the regular season meaningful by placing importance on divisional play. But at the end of the day, while those may be somewhat true, the main reason is owners not wanting to spend so much on travel and dealing with lower local ratings due to potential time zone differences. AKA, money. This format minimizes both travel and time zone difference for the Western Conference series. But saying that would be off putting and would give a negative spin to the format, where as rivalries and keeping divisional play important is a positive spin.

Reactions: Paranoid Android

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
The jets and preds look to be going to the second round so do the bolts and bruins, are those teams not the best teams? I am not sure what excitement is lost this year, And finishing fourth does not mean you deserve to be in the second round anyway.

People really like to complain about nothing. The new format makes the most sense. Less travel more division rivalries and some interesting matches.
Just because your tv is in your house doesn’t mean the fans in phily and pits don’t love to hate each other, and Vegas ain’t to far of a drive to La. Same goes for the sharks and ducks.
These are perfect playoff first rounds, if the leafs would show up that would be a great old school battle also.
I think this first round had a bunch of great series, and there are going to be a lot of good teams left for next round

Jaleel619

Nov 16, 2016
SJ
At the end of the day, the hardest trophy to win in sports doesn't need any manufacturing to make it interesting. I like the rivalry of playing divisional teams extra in the fight for a playoff spot, but playing each other again for 2 series every year dries it out.

I know guys that will watch every MLB (162)/NFL game, skip the nhl regular season, and tune in the for playoffs. That's saying something about the level of entertainment.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
I remember people wanted to go back to divisional playoffs years ago when we had the 1-8 format. People are never happy.

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007
One good thing about this format is that it exposese those that talked about the NHL's parityso much. It was an illusion. We aren't seeing the best teams right now either.

Gnova

CowboysR^2
Sep 6, 2011
Jetland
So what you’re saying is that those start times suck for everyone. You’re making my argument for me. The 1-8 system made the matchups between central and pacific teams far more frequent.

At the end of the day the NHL exists to entertain fans. Have times "suck for everyone" is hardly a great business decision.

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
#4 is playing #2 in both conference- not just Leafs/Bruins, but Wild/Jets.

We saw this last year with Columbus/Pittsburgh (2 vs. 3), but also St. Louis/Chicago in 2016 (4th place Hawks whom under the old format host a 5 seed had to play the #2 team in the West and #4 overall in that stacked Blues team).

I get it, I get it, the NHL wants rivalries and they want to recapture why some people loved that 80s/90s format.... but when some divisions are really stacked, it just doesn't feel right.

TB/BOS and WPG/NSH if form holds will be 2 conference final caliber matchups in round 2! Same thing happened with STL/DAL and PIT/WSH 2 years ago.

It kinda hurts the third round (4 of the 8 conference finals since 2014 would have been 2nd round showdowns if you reseeded).

It almost feels like if you're a strong #3/#4 team in your conference, this format doesn't reward it like it used to.
I don't get why people are complaining/surprised.

The league set this up for divisional games to create rivalries. They're getting some great match ups that should build the rivalry status. Leafs/Sens was a great rivalry in the 90's/00's (early on) not because we avoided each other in the playoffs. Conversely, that Leafs/Habs rivalry has cooled a lot and a lot of that is because we never play each other in the playffs. I'm sure fans of other teams have a similar story.
When it comes to rewarding teams for their season, so far the home teams/favourites are 11 - 4 and the favourite is up 2 - 0 in 5 of the 7 series where 2 games have been played.

Seems to me that things are working just fine.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
The format is stupid because it leads to us seeing dry, played out matchups like SJ/LA, WSH/PIT, WSH/NYR, etc, and it leads to us seeing conference finals level matchups in the 2nd round every year.

I mean, it makes us see certain matchups more often, but I don't think it really makes matchups worse for #3/4 seeds. Most teams between 3-6 are often separated by a small number of points. Vegas is the #3 seed and would play SJ in the first round if we used the old 1-8 format - who they play was decided on the final day of the season. Yet, right now, SJ looks like they were the most threatening opponent for Vegas - the new format may have helped Vegas, a strong #3 seed.

The 2nd round always saw conference final level matchups anyway. I’m not sure what’s really changed here.

Reactions: ClydeLee

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
You're supposed to see repeat series between powerhouse divisional rivals which drives rivalries.

Maybe we haven't given it enough time.

If you're still seeing a good match-up a round or two earlier, who cares?

You're still getting to see that series.

canuckster19

Former CDC Mod
Sep 23, 2008
Gothenburg Sweden
The league can hide behind whatever facade they like, whether it be the creating of rivalries, or they want to keep the regular season meaningful by placing importance on divisional play. But at the end of the day, while those may be somewhat true, the main reason is owners not wanting to spend so much on travel and dealing with lower local ratings due to potential time zone differences. AKA, money. This format minimizes both travel and time zone difference for the Western Conference series. But saying that would be off putting and would give a negative spin to the format, where as rivalries and keeping divisional play important is a positive spin.

Why would that be off putting? Again the West needs to cater to the East IYO? Cause I can imagine if we do the BS 1-16 that Western teams aren't getting favourable start times ever.

What would be offputting to say is this is just something the complainers have to complain about, change for the sake of change, not because it's better or worse.

But as I've said before if the West fans prefers division as I think we do, and East wants conference, I don't see why the East can't be one big conference and the West keep the division format.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad