What's the most vicious stick incident you ever saw in hockey?

Plager05

Mar 17, 2002
Sewers
Visit site
I saw a tape of the Flyers Blues game where Al Arbour was hit with a beer can from the crowd and in the ensuing melee Bob Plager snaps a fans forearm with his stick. It's pretty awesomely vicious. Not really horrifyingly vicious like most of these incidents

espo*

Well actually, if he has a good lawyer, he wouldn't see jail time for assault with a weapon. So, luck has nothing to do with it, he didn't deserve jail time.

he nearly killed someone with a weapon.

Yeah,i guess jail time is not called for here.Now if he had ripped off the government on his taxes that would be a different story but assault causing bodily harm?

mere flesh wound.

DrVanntastic

Jun 15, 2006
Wentzville, MO
I saw a tape of the Flyers Blues game where Al Arbour was hit with a beer can from the crowd and in the ensuing melee Bob Plager snaps a fans forearm with his stick. It's pretty awesomely vicious. Not really horrifyingly vicious like most of these incidents

Actually, in that incident Plager didn't take his stick into the crowd with him. If you look at number 5 in that video he won't have a stick or gloves in his hands. I've never seen the video, but I have seen pictures of it and his gloves and stick aren't in the picture I saw. He said in his book "Tales From the Blues Bench" (good read, highly recommended) that it was one of the other players. Can't remember who though.

I had never seen the Perezhogin incident until tonight. That was pretty vicious.

VladNYC*

McSorely is definetly the worst one. It was the most cowardly thing i have ever seen in hockey.

Perezhogin was completely justified in his attack. If some one is swinging a stick at my head with both hands you better believe they are getting one right back. Perezhogin isn't a dirty player, never has been never will. Way to show your bias again cyclops.

Fish on The Sand

Untouchable
Feb 28, 2002
Canada
the best part of the Brad May incident is what he said after the Brashear one. The best part about the Bertuzzi incident is the blatant favoritism the BC courts showed him over Mcsorley. The Bertuzzi one was a million times more serious, and Bertuzzi got off with nothing, where as Mcsorely got pretty much everything the court could reasonably hit him with.

Snap Wilson

Sep 14, 2003
I second Green-Maki. Pretty scary.

I was saying for months prior to the McSorley incident that someone was going to jump Brashear at some point, the way he would goad players and then walk away, so it didn't surprise me at all that it happened. Brashear's behavior was completely left out of the media storm, which still irks me. Everyone was portraying Brashear as a helpless victim, and even some clueless news outlets played the race card.

I've never wished for a player's career to be ended via injury, but if Marty had hit him a little bit harder, I wouldn't have shed any tears.

mcphee

Feb 6, 2003
Visit site
I thought McSorley swung his stick hoping to get Brashear to react and fight. I don't think he was looking to take out Brashear the way he did, as far as intent goes. Frustration was involved and while I don't think he aimed at Brashear's head, I didn't have a problem with how he was penalized. I do think the courts were pretty quick to put on their self righteous glasses though. From what I read, they must be a good seller.

Perezhogin got caught up in stuff he wasn't ready for. He was targeted and seemed in shock that playoff at the way they were coming after him. The guy took a whack at him, he turned around and reacted. I don't think he realized the guy was down and he was winging at head level, but I've not read anything where he discussed the incident. Again, reaction out of frustration. No excuse for either but I understand how it happened.

I didn't see the Green Maki incident, the weird thing was, when it was reported, I thought they got it wrong. Green was the bad boy, not Maki.

I remember looking at an old photo of Eddie Shack/Larry Zeidel after a lengthy, stick swinging/spearing duel. That wasn't a swing, that was 2 guys fighting with sticks.

I remember on an old Saturday NBC game, Dennis Hextall and Wayne Cashman swinging sticks at each other, though details are fuzzy. Both players would gladly carve you up if necessary, esp. Hextall, who may have been the most vicious player on the ice I ever saw.

Skroob*

The Perezhogin incident when he was in the AHL. Both he & the guy he hit took two-handed swings at each other's heads

Haha, ive done that in a game, but i was already in the Penalty Box at the time and the guy was skating by.

PurpleShamrock

Dec 29, 2005
New England
I thought McSorley swung his stick hoping to get Brashear to react and fight. I don't think he was looking to take out Brashear the way he did, as far as intent goes. Frustration was involved and while I don't think he aimed at Brashear's head, I didn't have a problem with how he was penalized. I do think the courts were pretty quick to put on their self righteous glasses though. From what I read, they must be a good seller.

Perezhogin got caught up in stuff he wasn't ready for. He was targeted and seemed in shock that playoff at the way they were coming after him. The guy took a whack at him, he turned around and reacted. I don't think he realized the guy was down and he was winging at head level, but I've not read anything where he discussed the incident. Again, reaction out of frustration. No excuse for either but I understand how it happened.

I didn't see the Green Maki incident, the weird thing was, when it was reported, I thought they got it wrong. Green was the bad boy, not Maki.

I remember looking at an old photo of Eddie Shack/Larry Zeidel after a lengthy, stick swinging/spearing duel. That wasn't a swing, that was 2 guys fighting with sticks.

I remember on an old Saturday NBC game, Dennis Hextall and Wayne Cashman swinging sticks at each other, though details are fuzzy. Both players would gladly carve you up if necessary, esp. Hextall, who may have been the most vicious player on the ice I ever saw.

Interesting. Based upon what I saw of Hextall's nephew, Ron, I guess it must've run in the family.

I was only a few years old at the time of the Green/Maki incident, and I didn't see it either. From what I've read, though, the two were having an altercation which led up to the incident, and Maki was basically just terrified at the fact that Green was bearing down on him. (Doesn't excuse the way he reacted, of course.)

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
I remember an old Euro league clip of a player getting speared in the face. I'm pretty sure that it was Mattias Weinhandle but I'm not 100% on that.

I'm guessing Coutu cutting off Shore's ear must have been pretty bad too.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Wally, wasn't that an exhibition game ? What precipitated Maki swinging his stick ? He was pretty mild mannered wasn't he ?

I don't think anybody will ever truly know. Green was an animal of a player. Tough as nails and yeah Maki wasn't know for that.

It was your usual chippiness for them days. Poking each other, slashing, abit of spearing. back and forth. What followed though was something I had never seen before and thank God haven't seen since..

Maki , with all his strength , just hit Green right on the head with his stick. Fracturing his skull right then and there. it was gruesome. Back here in Boston we thought Green was a goner. And I guess it was close.

Maki of course is now gone and Green to this day never speaks of it.

this describes it :

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/columns/top10/hockey_lowlights.html#3

Terrier

Sep 30, 2003
Newton, MA
Visit site
Someone help me with this one. I vaguely remember some player chopping a goalie's helmet off from behind with a two-hander in the early 80's. I think it was Willie Plett. Does this ring a bell?:dunno:

espo*

McSorely is definetly the worst one. It was the most cowardly thing i have ever seen in hockey.

Perezhogin was completely justified in his attack. If some one is swinging a stick at my head with both hands you better believe they are getting one right back. Perezhogin isn't a dirty player, never has been never will. Way to show your bias again cyclops.

LOL,oh yeah.....he was justified allright. Two hander Barry bonds swing with a stick going for a grand slam right to the face........totally innocent.

He may not have been a dirty player before or since.What he was that day did'nt fit the description of a dirty player,it was beyond that.That day he came a hair away from being a killer.

Way to show yours again Vlad the man.

Last edited by a moderator:

espo*

he didnt nearly kill anyone. stop blowing it up because the player involed is Russian.

I'm blowing it up because it was a straight out vicious move where the end result was a guy doing the funky chicken on the ice and he easily could have died.Only a Russian fan could try to fluff this one off.

But I expected that from you guys.That of course would'nt stop me from calling that move what it was.

Probably the worst single on ice incident i've ever seen.Sheer savagery at it's worst in the game.He was a Total animal that day.........no excuses.

I'd love to have seen what you would all say if Bobby clarke pulled that one off.

Last edited by a moderator:

Wetcoaster

None of the above --- in 50+ years -- the worst stick I have ever seen was the Teddy Green incident ..

Green played for the Bruins -- it was the late 60's .. Someone I think with the Blues went after Bobby Orr and Green was his defensive partner .
Anyway Green took on the Blues player at the top of the blue line and they squared off with the toothpicks --
the refs went and stood by the penalty boxes - got of the way and let they go at it..
No helmets -- no nothing-- they circled each other a couple of times and jabbed at each other then started to really go at it .. Green took a two handed swing to the back side of the head with the blade and went down in a heap. Green just laid there not moving and the refs finally went over and called the bench . Green was laying there witha pool of blood slowly growing ..
Teddy was carried off on a stretcher and the crew came out to clean up the blood.. even the announcer stopped talking .
Green nearly died from the concussion and brain damage -- had a metal plate put in his head-- and they said he would never play again.. He finally played a couple of years later --with a helmet-- but he was never the same ..

The NHL banned fighting with the wood after that and the that's when the push for wearing the "hat" started.

I was 21 playing in college and watched the game from my brother's house on TV -- WGBH never forgot it..
That would be my pick. That was a pre-season game between the Bruins and Blues when the stick swinging duel occurred. Wayne Maki would later play with the Canucks and would be diagnosed with brain cancer in 1972 and died in 1974. His number 11 was unoffically retired by the Canucks who "unretired" it when Messier joined the team leading to a lot of controversy.

One I did not see but was bad was the stick swinging by The Rocket on Hal Laycoe that led to his suspension and the Richard Riot.

Laycoe had high sticked Richard opening up a large gash on his head that was streaming blood. A delayed penalty was called and after the whistle Richard skated up to the ref and showed him the gash.

He then skated towards Laycoe who dropped his stick and gloves expectin a fight when Richard lashed out with his stick hitting Laycoe on the face and shoulders. The linesmen tried to restrain him without success and he went back at Laycoe again picking up his stick that he had dropped when grabbed by the linesmen and only stopped when he broke his stick over Laycoe's back. The linesmen grabbed him again and again he broke away, picked up anothe stick and broke that stick over Laycoe as well.

Linesman Cliff Thompson again grabbed Richard and this time he lashed out with his fists - KO'ing Thompson with two shots to the face.

Richard was assessed a match penalty for deliberate attempt to injure and then had to face a disciplinary hearing.

Here is the ruling from then NHL President Clarence Campbell who noted that Richard had resorted to his stick (recovering it several times to pursue the attack) in attacking another player and had punched out another official earlier in the season:
I have no hesitation in coming to the conclusion that the attack on Laycoe was not only deliberate but persisted in the face of all authority and that the referee acted with proper judgment in accordance with the rules in awarding a match penalty. I am also satisfied that Richard did not strike linesman Thompson as a result of a mistake or accident as suggested. There is singularly little conflict in the evidence as to important relevant facts. Assistance can also be obtained from an incident that occurred less than three months ago in which the pattern of conduct of Richard was almost identical, including his constant resort to the recovery of his stick to pursue his opponent, as well as flouting the authority of and striking officials. On the previous occasion he was fortunate that teammates and officials were more effective in preventing him from doing injury to anyone and the penalty was more lenient in consequence. At the time he was warned there must be no further incident. It was too bad that his teammates did not assist officials instead of interfering with them. The time for probationary lenience has passed, whether this type of conduct is the product of temperamental instability or willful defiance of the authority of the game does not matter. Richard will be suspended from all games both league and playoff for the balance of the current season.

Wetcoaster

Actually, in that incident Plager didn't take his stick into the crowd with him. If you look at number 5 in that video he won't have a stick or gloves in his hands. I've never seen the video, but I have seen pictures of it and his gloves and stick aren't in the picture I saw. He said in his book "Tales From the Blues Bench" (good read, highly recommended) that it was one of the other players. Can't remember who though.

I had never seen the Perezhogin incident until tonight. That was pretty vicious.
How about Mad Mike Milbury when he was Bruins D-man going into the stands at MSG after the game ended and grabbing a fan, pulling off his shoe and beating the fan with the shoe?????

Being interved by the NY Daily News on the 25th anniversary of the incident he had this to say:
"It's unbelievable that after more than 30 years in the game, pummeling a guy with his loafer will be my legacy. But I guess it's better than having no legacy at all."

Reks

Oct 23, 2006
For me it was Gary Suter on Andrei Lomakin in the 1987 Canada Cup. :shakehead

I would say that all US team played like a bunch of goons in that game.
Suter broke his stick across Lomakin's face.
Nilan took a deliberate run at Mylnikov.
Barrasso slammed Khomutov in the face.

Of course, the Soviets still won 5-1 ...

By the way in 1984 Canada Cup another goon - Messier viciously carved Kovin's face with a stick in a preliminary round game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->