What's the most vicious stick incident you ever saw in hockey?

Rather Gingerly 1*

Mine would have to be the Gary Suter slash to the face against the Russians in '87 Canada Cup.

optimus2861

Aug 29, 2005
Bedford NS
The Perezhogin incident when he was in the AHL. Both he & the guy he hit took two-handed swings at each other's heads, but only Perezhogin connected. 1-year suspension from the AHL for Perezhogin for that.

McSorley/Brashear wasn't pretty either.

LadyByngJeanRatelle

Jan 26, 2003
Visit site
The Perezhogin incident when he was in the AHL. Both he & the guy he hit took two-handed swings at each other's heads, but only Perezhogin connected. 1-year suspension from the AHL for Perezhogin for that.

I'd say McSorley and Brashaer, but because I hate Brashaer so much, I'd have to admit I had a smirk on my face when it happened.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Perezoghin
McSorey
Ciccarelli
Dale Hunter's hit not connecting.

espo*

Perezoghin's the worst i've ever seen.There may have been worse ones but i have'nt seen them or can't remember them.

In fact i'd go so far as to say it was the worst incident of pure un-adultered viciousness in hockey i've ever seen let alone stick swinging incident.

He's lucky he still has a career over here and isn't sitting in a jail cell for that one.

PurpleShamrock

Dec 29, 2005
New England
I think I'd have to go with McSorley clubbing Brashear from behind. I'm a Bruins fan, and I must admit that I have no great love for Brashear or his predilection for showing opponents up. However, that was just way above and beyond the call of duty.

dabid

Feb 6, 2006
HFBoards
McSorley/Brashear, but I didnt take it bad because I was a Bruins fan, I liked McSorley, and I hated Brashear.

The Perezhogin one is horrible.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden

Mine would have to be the Gary Suter slash to the face against the Russians in '87 Canada Cup.

There have been some ugly ones, though none of the worst I've seen have been in the NHL.

One that i remember were Thomas Sjögren's slash in the finnish league.

trevchar1971

Jun 1, 2006
Probably McSorley because it was from behind, it wasn't the most viscious attack, but attack from behind is always worse.

Agreed... I also thought the Bertuzzi incident ( although not stick related) was pretty disgusting... these two incidents brought the game to new lows.

Psycho Papa Joe

Porkchop Hoser
Feb 27, 2002
Cesspool, Ontario
Visit site
Probably McSorley because it was from behind, it wasn't the most viscious attack, but attack from behind is always worse.

Add that to the fact he was stalking Brashear and it makes it worse indicating premeditation. Perezhogin's was brutal, but it was a heat of the moment thing after almost having his head taken off, so that's why I think McSorley's is worse, even though the force of the hit wasn't as fierce as Perezhogin's.

fr4ed2384

Jul 30, 2005
None of the above --- in 50+ years -- the worst stick I have ever seen was the Teddy Green incident ..

Green played for the Bruins -- it was the late 60's .. Someone I think with the Blues went after Bobby Orr and Green was his defensive partner .
Anyway Green took on the Blues player at the top of the blue line and they squared off with the toothpicks --
the refs went and stood by the penalty boxes - got of the way and let they go at it..
No helmets -- no nothing-- they circled each other a couple of times and jabbed at each other then started to really go at it .. Green took a two handed swing to the back side of the head with the blade and went down in a heap. Green just laid there not moving and the refs finally went over and called the bench . Green was laying there witha pool of blood slowly growing ..
Teddy was carried off on a stretcher and the crew came out to clean up the blood.. even the announcer stopped talking .
Green nearly died from the concussion and brain damage -- had a metal plate put in his head-- and they said he would never play again.. He finally played a couple of years later --with a helmet-- but he was never the same ..

The NHL banned fighting with the wood after that and the that's when the push for wearing the "hat" started.

I was 21 playing in college and watched the game from my brother's house on TV -- WGBH never forgot it..

Psycho Papa Joe

Porkchop Hoser
Feb 27, 2002
Cesspool, Ontario
Visit site
None of the above --- in 50+ years -- the worst stick I have ever seen was the Teddy Green incident ..

Green played for the Bruins -- it was the late 60's .. Someone I think with the Blues went after Bobby Orr and Green was his defensive partner .
Anyway Green took on the Blues player at the top of the blue line and they squared off with the toothpicks --
the refs went and stood by the penalty boxes - got of the way and let they go at it..
No helmets -- no nothing-- they circled each other a couple of times and jabbed at each other then started to really go at it .. Green took a two handed swing to the back side of the head with the blade and went down in a heap. Green just laid there not moving and the refs finally went over and called the bench . Green was laying there witha pool of blood slowly growing ..
Teddy was carried off on a stretcher and the crew came out to clean up the blood.. even the announcer stopped talking .
Green nearly died from the concussion and brain damage -- had a metal plate put in his head-- and they said he would never play again.. He finally played a couple of years later --with a helmet-- but he was never the same ..

The NHL banned fighting with the wood after that and the that's when the push for wearing the "hat" started.

I was 21 playing in college and watched the game from my brother's house on TV -- WGBH never forgot it..

I believe the other player was Wayne Maki. Would have picked this one, but I didn't start watching hockey until the mid-70's.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
I may not make any friends saying this one but McSorely's incident is overrated. He was hung out to dry by the NHL and fed to the wolves. Sure it wasnt right - and it was a cheap shot - but if you look very, very closely at the replay you can see the stick glance off of Brashear's shoulder just ever so slightly. he wasn't intending to hit his head at all. it jsut looked worse because Brashear's helmet came off when he hit his head.
Personally I think Scott Niedermayer's overhanded lumberjack swing on Peter Worrell looked worse. That was about a month after the McSorely incident. The only difference is Worrell wasnt hurt and he fought Niedermayer and Nieds only got 6 games for it. If Worrell was on the ice and needed a stretcher to get off would Nieds have been thrown out of the league like McSorely? I doubt it.

Nalyd Psycho

Feb 27, 2002
No Bandwagon
Visit site
I may not make any friends saying this one but McSorely's incident is overrated. He was hung out to dry by the NHL and fed to the wolves. Sure it wasnt right - and it was a cheap shot - but if you look very, very closely at the replay you can see the stick glance off of Brashear's shoulder just ever so slightly. he wasn't intending to hit his head at all. it jsut looked worse because Brashear's helmet came off when he hit his head.
Personally I think Scott Niedermayer's overhanded lumberjack swing on Peter Worrell looked worse. That was about a month after the McSorely incident. The only difference is Worrell wasnt hurt and he fought Niedermayer and Nieds only got 6 games for it. If Worrell was on the ice and needed a stretcher to get off would Nieds have been thrown out of the league like McSorely? I doubt it.

It's more the way he deliberately sneaked up behind him for the attack that makes it so dirty. Most other ones can use heat of the moment as an excuse. McSorely can't.

Chevy Cheveldae

Mattias Weinhandl got a stick in his eye by czech player Michal Travnicek during a four nation tournament in 1999

I remember the footage as if it was yesterday, Weinhandl lost some vision, and still has bad vision on one eye (i think it's just 10%)

Travnicek was banned from international hockey for 3 years

here's a great article on the situation (can't find pics or video anywhere)

http://www.iihf.com/news/iihfpr1499.htm

Hartford HockeyFan

Apr 14, 2006

These 2 incidents come to mind for me. :shakehead

bjac

Jan 16, 2006
Perezoghin's the worst i've ever seen.There may have been worse ones but i have'nt seen them or can't remember them.

In fact i'd go so far as to say it was the worst incident of pure un-adultered viciousness in hockey i've ever seen let alone stick swinging incident.

He's lucky he still has a career over here and isn't sitting in a jail cell for that one.

Well actually, if he has a good lawyer, he wouldn't see jail time for assault with a weapon. So, luck has nothing to do with it, he didn't deserve jail time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->