what's the most memorable speech or quote..

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
"He's gone from Ironman to Tin Man."

said by Martin Gelinas with a smile, when asked about his then-linemate Trevor Linden after another of a string of minor injuries to the indeed previous longest-serving NHLer without a game off.

gongshow

Jun 9, 2004
etown
one of my fav true quotes was by the great one
"A good hockey player plays where the puck is. A great hockey player plays where the puck is going to be."

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
Coyotes Bandwagon
Denis Lemieux: well, ah, icing 'appen when da puck come down, bang, ya know? before de udder guy, nobody there ... ah, my harm go comes out then the game stop then start up.

Joe McGrath: WE'RE LOSING! THEY'RE BURYING US ALIVE! ... Boys, every scout in the NHL is out there tonight with contracts in their pocket, and they're looking for talent! They're looking for winners! ... THEY CAME HERE TONIGHT TO SCOUT THE CHIEFS! THE TOUGHEST TEAM IN THE FEDERAL LEAGUE! NOT THIS ... BUNCH OF ... *******!
Reg Dunlop: ......... scouts?

Stonefly

Jan 29, 2007
I'd have to say Chelios during the first lockout. He was a little hot about the whole situation and Bettman in particular. I don't remember the exact words but it was something to the effect of `if I were Bettman I would be worried about my personal safety'.
Priceless.

RingTheBell

Mar 28, 2006
CT / MN
Explaining why he keeps a color photo of himself above his locker:

"That"s so when I forget how to spell my name, I can still find my (expletive) clothes."

--the one and only Stu Grimson

Muttley*

Larry Robinson kicking the $#@! out of a garbage in the dressing room after the Devils go down 3 games to 1 against the Flyers in the 2000 Eastern Conference Finals.

Not a speech or quote, but an 'action'

Ogopogo*

by a player or coach that really sticks out in your head as most memorable for laughter, sadness or inspiring??

Gretzky's speech at Molson House when his trade to LA was announced. When Wayne cried, I cried too.

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
Andre "Moose" Dupont, February 1973, after a return visit to Vancouver about two months following a particularly nasty contest in Vancouver:"That was a lot of fun. We don't go to jail, we beat up their chicken forwards, we score ten goals, and we win. And now the Moose drinks beer." The quote was in response to a Vancouver fan (a dentist) who reached over the glass and pulled aggressively on Don Saleski's hair while he was exchanging pleasantries with Barry Wilcox of the Canucks. Four Flyers' players, including Dupont, went into the stands in the December 1972 game that ended in a 4-4 draw. In the return match, in February 1973, the Flyers won 10-5.

Fred Shero's "Win together now and we will walk together forever" during the 1974 Cup Finals.

Last edited:

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Andre "Moose" Dupont, February 1973, after a return visit to Vancouver about two months following a particularly nasty contest in Vancouver:"That was a lot of fun. We don't go to jail, we beat up their chicken forwards, we score ten goals, and we win. And now the Moose drinks beer." The quote was in response to a Vancouver fan (a dentist) who reached over the glass and pulled aggressively on Don Saleski's hair while he was exchanging pleasantries with Barry Wilcox of the Canucks. Four Flyers' players, including Dupont, went into the stands in the December 1972 game that ended in a 4-4 draw. In the return match, in February 1973, the Flyers won 10-5.

Fred Shero's "Win together now and we will walk together forever" during the 1974 Cup Finals.

The best one-liner ever ... and that game is also the one where the Flyers truly became the Bullies. Prior to that they were very good at home, but didn't play as aggressively or as well on the road.

Most thought it would be a very quiet game after the altercations of the previous visit to Vancouver, where the fan grabbed Saleski, and some Flyers went into the stands to protect him.

The Flyers that went into the stands, were arrested and had to be be arraigned on this visit to Vancouver. So much for a quiet night:

Dupont & Schmautz go at it 90 seconds in .. and a 5 minute high stick to Dupont as well. Clarke & MacLeish scored two shorthanded goals on the 5 minute major.

Flyers led 6-2 after the first period and the team never looked back:
http://www.flyershistory.com/cgi-bin/boxscore.cgi?19720437

"That was a lot of fun. We don't go to jail, we beat up their chicken**** forwards, we score ten goals, and we win. And now the Moose drinks beer."

:biglaugh: :biglaugh: :biglaugh:

ForsbergForever

May 19, 2004
I think Patrick Roy's "I couldn't hear him (Jeremy Roenick) because i had my two Stanley Cup rings plugged in my ears" has to rank up there.

EatSleepJeep

Dec 31, 2006
Des Moines, IA
The best one-liner ever ... and that game is also the one where the Flyers truly became the Bullies. Prior to that they were very good at home, but didn't play as aggressively or as well on the road.

For a one liner, Herb Brooks speech prior to the game was pretty fantastic:

"Lose this one and you'll take it to your ***ing graves; YOUR ****ING GRAVES!"

The Disneyfication was nice and warm and fuzzy but totally inaccurate. When they announced a movie about Herb and I saw it was rated G, I had to wonder how they were going to pull that off. As a youngster my dad and I had a deal when we went to the Met Center for North Stars games. I didn't repeat anything to my mother that I heard Brooks yelling at the games and he would buy me a souvenir.

Ogopogo*

In the spirit of one liners, Messier had an absolute gem.

In a 1986 game against the Penguins, Messier cross checked a Penguin player once, twice, three times and his stick broke on the players back. Whistle goes and Messier is called for cross-checking. Messier then says:

"What? I get a penalty for breaking my fu****g stick?"

Morris Wanchuk

Feb 10, 2006
War Memorial Arena
"If a player comes around who is better than Bobby Orr.. I hope the good lord see's fit that I will be on this earth to see him, becuase he would be something special"

-Milt Schmidt

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->