What's the most lopsided trade in NHL history?

Trottier

Very Random
Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Visit site
Remember the 1990's?

Don't bore us with your old-time hockey references, that's soooo last century. I watched a 20-second clip of a game from 1995 recently, so I'm qualified to make this declaration: The game sucked back then, players could barely skate, they didn't train and besides, Ovy and Sid could kick anyone's butt from that time period. :sarcasm: ;) :D

kingpest19

Sep 21, 2004
The winner is the Naslund - Stojanov trade. Bar none.

Vancouver would get one of the decade's deadliest snipers and one of the most consistent point leaders while Pittsburgh got, well, nothing.

Say what you will about Stojanov as he was supposed to be a physical winger to help out Mario and Jagr but he didn't even end up a consistent fourth liner.

I can't think of any other trade where the value was so absolutely lopsided.

Actually this trade only looks bad now. He didnt start to do anything till 5 years after the trade. Noone knew that either player would turn out the way they did. Hindsight is always 20/20/.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Actually this trade only looks bad now. He didnt start to do anything till 5 years after the trade. Noone knew that either player would turn out the way they did. Hindsight is always 20/20/.

Actually i remember at the NHL draft in 1991 when Craig Patrick claimed Naslund was the third best player in the draft behind Lindros and Kovalev. I laughed at what an idiotic comment that was, turns out he had pretty good judgement then of him being top 3 of that draft.

Last edited:

crashlanding

Nov 29, 2005
Chicago
My favorite trade at the 1990 draft

Calgary gets picks #10 (Trevor Kidd), #32 (Vesa Viitakoski)

NJ gets picks #20 (Martin Brodeur), #24 (David Harlock), #29 (Chris Gotziaman)

All the second rounders were essentially busts. It's not as good of a trade as it could have been, Weight and Sanderson were available. BUT, Kidd was the top rated goalie at the time and I believe David Conte scouted Brodeur and told Lou that he was better. NJ still got another high second rounder, and the guy they were looking for.

David Puddy

Nov 15, 2003
New Jersey, USA
Visit site
While it was the WHA, I think this deserves some mention. The Indianapolis Racers sent Eddie Mio, Peter Driscoll and a third player to the Edmonton Oilers for $700,000 and future considerations. That third player was 17 year old Wayne Gretzky. He would go on to win eight straight Hart Trophies as an Oiler after joining the NHL with the team.

No doubt in my mind.

Boston drafts this young goalie and then his rights (along with another Boston pick, Alex Campbell) are traded to Montreal by Boston for Guy Allen and Paul Reid on June 28,1964.

Guy Allen spent four years in the minors and hung 'em up.

Paul Reid never turned pro.

Alex Campbell spent one year in minor pro.

And the goalie????? Well he had an okay NHL career. You may of heard of Ken Dryden - a couple of Stanley Cups, Vezinas, etc. Hockey hall of Fame.:biglaugh:
This was the trade I was thinking about as I clicked this thread. And for the record, Ken Dryden won six Stanley Cup Championships, including four straight before retiring after 1978-79.

if it was a completely healthy Lindros throughout his career i'd make that trade again from the flyers standpoint. that's how good he was imo before the injuries.

The original wording of the question was "turned out to be the worst," so this includes trades that looked good at the time, but in time turned out badly for one team, i.e. trading Dale Hunter for the draft pick that became Joe Sakic. As an Avs fan, I'm a bit biased there, but you get the idea.
I actually don't like when when people use who was drafted in trades to complain about them instead of the position of the draft. It is possible that someone could throw in a later round pick that is used to select a sleeper player.

It is foolish for a team that seems like it will draft in the top five to trade their 1st Round pick for someone that isn't that good of a player.

The Leafs shipped out their 1st round pick (turned into Niedermayer) for Tom Kurvers.
The Devils got Kurvers from Buffalo for Detroit's 3rd Round 1988 pick before the 1987-88 season. He had a really good year in 1988-89 (16 G, 50 A, 66 PTS. The Devils traded him after one game in the 1989-90 season. Along the lines of what I wrote above regarding draft picks however, Toronto didn't know on October 5, 1989 that they would finish the 1990-91 season with the third worst record in the NHL. Kurvers had 52 points in 70 games for the Maple Leafs in 1989-90.

My favorite trade at the 1990 draft

Calgary gets picks #10 (Trevor Kidd), #32 (Vesa Viitakoski)

NJ gets picks #20 (Martin Brodeur), #24 (David Harlock), #29 (Chris Gotziaman)
The Devils were going to take Brodeur, which is why they traded the higher draft pick. Goalie coach/scout Bob Bellemore went to Canada to watch the top goalie prospect, Kidd, and the number two goalie prospect, Brodeur, and told Devils GM Lou Lamoriello that Brodeur was better.

Randall Graves*

Thibault turned into a major part of the Roy to Colorado deal, not to mention Chris Simon was a piece of the first Stanley Cup win in '96.
If people want to say Colorado got the better end of the deal thats alright, but the actual trade didn't turn out lopsided imo..Lindros was a dominant player.

David Puddy

Nov 15, 2003
New Jersey, USA
Visit site
If people want to say Colorado got the better end of the deal thats alright, but the actual trade didn't turn out lopsided imo..Lindros was a dominant player.

To Philadelphia:
Eric Lindros

To Quebec
Peter Forsberg
Mike Ricci
Chris Simon
Ron Hextall
Steve Duchesne
Kerry Huffman
1st Round 1993 pick
1st Round 1994 pick
$15 million

reckoning

Jan 4, 2005
One nobody`s mentioned: Scotty Bowman is doing colour commentary for HNIC in 1988 for the Montreal/Hartford 1st round series. Even though Montreal easily wins the series, Bowman is really impressed with two Hartford players in particular: Ron Francis and Ulf Samuelsson.

Three years later, Scotty is with Pittsburgh and strongly recommends they acquire those two players for the playoffs. So before the trade deadline that year, Pittsburgh trades John Cullen, Jeff Parker and Zarley Zalapski for Francis, Samuelsson and Grant Jennings. Pittsburgh wins the Cup that year and the next year, with Francis and Sameulsson playing very major roles.

At the time of the trade, the media acted like Hartford had won it because they got Cullen, who had been near the top of the scoring race most of that season. I still remember THN saying that buying up John Cullen rookie cards would be a lucrative investment for collectors. Two years later Hartford traded him away for future considerations.

Just to comment on a couple that have been mentioned:

Esposito from Chicago to Boston: Espo claims in his book that the Hawk owner Norris didn`t think he was physical enough for a big player and wanted to get rid of him. He also says that he told off Ivan and Reay at some team function after the `67 playoffs, so they weren`t anxious to keep him around.

The thing is that Chicago didn`t exactly get clobbered in that trade. Pit Martin was a very solid two-way forward for them while Marotte was a good shot-blocking defenceman who was later traded for the underrated Bill White. Naturally, that all pales compared to Espo`s career; but I`m not convinced he would`ve been the same star had he stayed in Chicago.

Dionne from Detroit to L.A.: This wasn`t really a trade; Dionne had signed with the Kings as a free agent. A snag came up when Terry Harper was awarded as part of the compensation to Detroit but refused to go and threatened to go to court over it. The NHL made the teams get together and rework it as a trade as well as give Harper enough to make him go along.

Was it lopsided? Dionne was undoubtedly a star in L.A, but before it in `75 the Kings had hit 105 pts and looked to be possibly joining the league`s elite level. After the trade, they sputtered around .500 for the rest of the 70s. Losing their best defensive defenceman (Harper) and their best defensive forward (Maloney) played a huge part in that decline.

Trottier

Very Random
Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Visit site
Three years later, Scotty is with Pittsburgh and strongly recommends they acquire those two players for the playoffs. So before the trade deadline that year, Pittsburgh trades John Cullen, Jeff Parker and Zarley Zalapski for Francis, Samuelsson and Grant Jennings. Pittsburgh wins the Cup that year and the next year, with Francis and Sameulsson playing very major roles.

At the time of the trade, the media acted like Hartford had won it because they got Cullen, who had been near the top of the scoring race most of that season.

That was a brilliant deal by the Pens and a classic example of how to make a trade - and the EXACT OPPOSITE of how trades are insufferably suggested on this board. As you mentioned, Cullen's stock was through the roof at the time, he was having a superb year statistically (a Marc Savard of his time, in many ways). Zalapski was young and skilled, meaning he was "untouchable" by the standards of many of the GMs on this board. ;)

Pens demonstrated why often the best deals are made when you "sell high". The trade value of both JC and ZZ would never be greater.

Bootsauce

Aug 2, 2005
*Homer pick alert*

St. Louis trades Cliff Ronning, Geoff Courtnall, Robert Dirk, Sergio Momesso and a 5th round draft pick (Brian Loney) to Vancouver in exchange for Garth Butcher and Dan Quinn.

stardog

Been on HF so long my Myspace link is part of my p
Oct 31, 2003
www.myspace.com
No doubt in my mind.

Boston drafts this young goalie and then his rights (along with another Boston pick, Alex Campbell) are traded to Montreal by Boston for Guy Allen and Paul Reid on June 28,1964.

Guy Allen spent four years in the minors and hung 'em up.

Paul Reid never turned pro.

Alex Campbell spent one year in minor pro.

And the goalie????? Well he had an okay NHL career. You may of heard of Ken Dryden - a couple of Stanley Cups, Vezinas, etc. Hockey hall of Fame.:biglaugh:

That was the worst I can recall and it is closley followed by the Canucks trading Alex Stojanov to the Penguins for Markus Naslund in 1996. Stojanov would "play" parts of 2 seasons (45 games total) in Pittsburgh racking up 2 goals and 4 assists and ending up playing for the New Mexico Scorpions.

Naslund has clocked 310 goals and 370 assists in a canucks' uni over 834 games.

For those who bemoan the Neely trade - you were likely not around at the time.

The Neely/Pederson trade looked pretty good for the Canucks for the first while. Although it is now viewed as a bad trade, it was quite well received at the time. Fans phoned in to sports radio talk shows saying that the Canucks gained valuable veteran goal scoring, and that the Canucks had actually won in the trade.

As a Canuck Neely in 1983-84 had scored 16 goals, 15 assists for 31 points in 56 games. In 1984-85 in 72 games, he scored 21 goals and 18 assists for 39 points and in the 1985-86 season Neely scored 14 goals and 20 assists, for 34 points. His progress appeared stalled to Canuck management.

Pederson had been a 100 point player with the Bruins in two seasons (1982-83 and 1983-84) before losing the 1984-85 season mostly to injury He had put up 76 point season in 1985-86 coming back from the injury.

With the Canucks he scored 76 points in 1986-87 and 71 points in 1987-88 before slipping to 41 points in 1988-89 before being trade to the Pens in 1989-90 Tony Tanti and Rod Buskas for Dan Quinn, Andrew McBain and Dave Capuano by Pat Quinn. He would never again score 30 points in the NHL.

Neely played well for the Bruins in his first few years. In his first year in Boston the 1986/87 season, Neely began to blossom scoring 36 goals for 72 points in 75 games but scored fewer points than Pederson's 76. However he became the proto-typical power forward scoring 50 goals in 89/90, 90/91 and 93/94 (in only 49 games). In 1989 Pederson was gone from Vancouver.

The trade was Neely and a first rounder (which became Glen Wesley who in turn became Kyle McLaren and Sergei Samsonov and McLaren became Jeff Hackett and Jeff Jillson). Some people in Vancouver have referred to this trade as the "trade that keeps on giving to the Bruins."

Funny how you can use hindsight to defend the Neely trade, yet as I recall, the Naslund deal wasnt considered a bad deal at the time it happened either. It was only after Naslund bloomed in VAN and Stojanov got in a life threatining car wreck that people realized what a bad deal it was.

NJD Jester

Nov 14, 2003
DC
www.njdevilsbook.com
The Devils got Kurvers from Buffalo for Detroit's 3rd Round 1988 pick before the 1987-88 season. He had a really good year in 1988-89 (16 G, 50 A, 66 PTS. The Devils traded him after one game in the 1989-90 season. Along the lines of what I wrote above regarding draft picks however, Toronto didn't know on October 5, 1989 that they would finish the 1990-91 season with the third worst record in the NHL. Kurvers had 52 points in 70 games for the Maple Leafs in 1989-90.

I agree that you can't blame Toronto in the sense that it had no idea it'd be in the hunt for the No. 1 pick that season. That said, trading a first round pick for Kurvers, who wasn't a top-two defenseman in any point of his career, was a huge mistake.

CourtnallRocks

Aug 7, 2006
MTL
Here's one for my namesake:

Russ Courtnall for John Kordic

Also, the Roy trade is awful as well. Best goalie ever in his prime traded, for 3 marginal players: Thibault (shoot high), Kovalenko (smokes in the shower, not kidding), amd Rucinsky (i rack up points in Apreil because my team is eliminated already). Did i mention that HABS also gave thier Captain at the time, Mike Keane. Poor Reggie Houle.:teach:

Wetcoaster

Funny how you can use hindsight to defend the Neely trade, yet as I recall, the Naslund deal wasnt considered a bad deal at the time it happened either. It was only after Naslund bloomed in VAN and Stojanov got in a life threatining car wreck that people realized what a bad deal it was.
???????????????

Did you read the post?

At the time of the trade the Vancouver media and fans declared Vancouver the hands down winner. A couple of years later it becomes the worst trade in franchise history -THAT is hindsight.

BTW the question posed by the thread author was:
What single trade turned out to be the worst?

Randall Graves*

To Philadelphia:
Eric Lindros

To Quebec
Peter Forsberg
Mike Ricci
Chris Simon
Ron Hextall
Steve Duchesne
Kerry Huffman
1st Round 1993 pick
1st Round 1994 pick
$15 million
But those 2 first rounders didn't amount to much...it was basically Forsberg, role players and cash...at their respective peaks Forsberg and Lindros were about equal would that be fair to say?

Ricci and Simon were bottom six guys..quality but dime a dozen guys.

Duchesne had a few good years

Thibault ended up being a pretty decent goalie...but it did not turn out bad for the Flyers imo.

David Puddy

Nov 15, 2003
New Jersey, USA
Visit site
But those 2 first rounders didn't amount to much...it was basically Forsberg, role players and cash...at their respective peaks Forsberg and Lindros were about equal would that be fair to say?

Ricci and Simon were bottom six guys..quality but dime a dozen guys.

Duchesne had a few good years

Thibault ended up being a pretty decent goalie...but it did not turn out bad for the Flyers imo.
Ricci was a very good two-way centerman for most of his career, and he helped Colorado win the Stanley Cup in 1996.

Ricci was also traded to San Jose for the 1st Round pick that was used to draft Alex Tanguay. San Jose also got a 2nd Round pick and C

Jocelyn Thibault was a pretty decent goalie, and he was a major part of the trade, along with Martin Rucinsky and Andrei Kovalenko, that got Colorado Patrick Roy.

If Lindros turned out to be "The Next One" like many thought that he be, it would have been a steal for Philadelphia. He looked like the best player in hockey for a season or two, but he wasn't Gretzky-like in his statistical domination. That's what he was supposed to be, better than Wayne Gretzky. That's why several good young players, two 1st Round draft picks and $15 million were traded for him. If it was just Forsberg for Lindros, I would say that it was a slight edge to Quebec, but the other players, picks and cash, $15 million is a lot of cash, move it heavily in favor of Quebec/Colorado.

RUSqueelin*

Nov 2, 2005
I agree that you can't blame Toronto in the sense that it had no idea it'd be in the hunt for the No. 1 pick that season. That said, trading a first round pick for Kurvers, who wasn't a top-two defenseman in any point of his career, was a huge mistake.

Rule of any good GM or team is never trade any of your first round picks unless you have a REALLY good reason. Always come back to bit ya.

As far as Lindros - Philly built around Eric and went to the Cup finals in 95. They were poised to be a long time dominate team and Eric would have won mulitiple Harts. As another poster said, I'd make the same trade for Crosby right now no doubt. It was a good trade because both teams benefited from it. Then Eric lost his head.

Hyped

Feb 27, 2002
Tombstone
Visit site
What about the Senators trading Pavol Demitra to the Blues for Christer Olsson? A real doozie there. Olsson never even played a whole season in Ottawa before leaving for Europe...

David Puddy

Nov 15, 2003
New Jersey, USA
Visit site
Rule of any good GM or team is never trade any of your first round picks unless you have a REALLY good reason. Always come back to bit ya.
There is a difference between top ten overall picks and 20th-30th overall picks. I don't think it is the end of the world to trade late-round picks. The problem with some teams, like the Islanders in 2001 with the Yashin trade is that they knew it was the 2nd overall draft pick.

As far as Lindros - Philly built around Eric and went to the Cup finals in 95. They were poised to be a long time dominate team and Eric would have won mulitiple Harts. As another poster said, I'd make the same trade for Crosby right now no doubt. It was a good trade because both teams benefited from it. Then Eric lost his head.
The Flyers lost in the ECF in 1995 to the eventual Stanley Cup Champion New Jersey Devils, Lou Lamoriello General Manager.

Lindros did lead the Flyers to the Stanley Cup Finals in 1997 though, the year after Colorado won the Stanley Cup.

RUSqueelin*

Nov 2, 2005
There is a difference between top ten overall picks and 20th-30th overall picks. I don't think it is the end of the world to trade late-round picks. The problem with some teams, like the Islanders in 2001 with the Yashin trade is that they knew it was the 2nd overall draft pick.

true but when you trade your 1st rounder two years in the future you have no idea how your team is going to finish. And depending on the draft year even a late round pick can come back and haunt - the Leafs also unloaded their 03 first rounder in what turned out a very deep draft.
The Flyers lost in the ECF in 1995 to the eventual Stanley Cup Champion New Jersey Devils, Lou Lamoriello General Manager.

Lindros did lead the Flyers to the Stanley Cup Finals in 1997 though, the year after Colorado won the Stanley Cup.

My mistake, I was thinking of the 97 finals.

Nalyd Psycho

Feb 27, 2002
No Bandwagon
Visit site

More so, don't trade firsts unless you know what it is your giving up. It's one thing to trade a specific pick when you have a good idea of the type of player it could net. And another thing entirely when you have no idea what type of pick you are trading and limitted idea how strong a draft is.

There are exceptions, but rarely, one that comes to mind is the Canucks trading their 2000 1st for a 1999 1st to get the Sedins. Yes, it could have blown up in their face and cost them Heatley or Gaborik. But it was reasonable to assume that the Sedins were as good as almost any two firsts were going to be. A reasonable gamble. (I believe it ended up costing them Vorobiev.) But, one should only trade a 1st for players like Kurvers or Clark at the deadline.

By the same token, picks traded after the season, are, often, for all intents and purposes, trading a specific player. NYI traded Spezza in the Yashin deal. Everyone knew that's who was going 2nd. While the Broduer trade was, for all intents and purposes Kidd and a 2nd for Broduer and 2 2nds. Both parties knew the intended 1st rounder, but the 2nds were the unknown quantities. And by that same note, Kurvers was traded for a 1st, not Neidermeyer as when the trade happened, no one knew what the 1st was gonna be.

arrbez

bad chi
Jun 2, 2004
Toronto
He looked like the best player in hockey for a season or two, but he wasn't Gretzky-like in his statistical domination. That's what he was supposed to be, better than Wayne Gretzky.

he was never supposed to pass gretzky's offensive stats. he was supposed to be the best power forward ever...and you could argue that he was rght on track. i'm not sure anyone with that elite level of skill has ever possessed the physical intimidation Lindros did. He won the Hart, tied for the league lead in scoring, and just plain destroyed his opposition physically. He was a force the second he stepped into the league, just tossing grown men around like they were kids. The physicalplay turned out to be his downfall, but still, he was every bit the phenom he was supposed to be when he entered the league.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad