What's Next For St. John's

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
What do you think is next for St. John's ?

Good chance of Blainville's Q team coming in 2018. Probably would have happened for this upcoming season if it wasn't for them being so competitive and running this late into the season. From what I've been told they didn't want to negotiate much while making a run in case that information leaked and fans stopped showing support.

There will probably be a NBL team there this upcoming year and it's going to FAILLLL lol.

McDrailers

Apr 13, 2013
Newfoundland
NBL as national basketball? That would be an hilarious shot in the foot to whoever sets that up. I see a Q team and MAYBE the QC expansion AHL team, but I'm more doubtful than I am hopeful. I think that was it for the AHL in Newfoundland. Fun while it lasted but the almighty dollar has spoken.

McDrailers

Apr 13, 2013
Newfoundland
Any chance of QMHJL this upcoming season do you think ?

Also NBL ? I never heard that rumor before. Much to this rumor ?

lets hope not. The seahawks would even be a better expense then that lol. It's possible that a Q team could make it here. I'm sure they're trying. Would a Q team even interest anyone?

IceCapsHabs

Sep 16, 2012
St. John's
I think the Q will do good if ran right and better name then the last time. Big issue with it last time was the Owners bid against the city then had to turn around and negotiate a lease at Mile One with them. They had a terrible lease deal and lost money on that. Plus never had the proper "Hockey Minded" people running it.

McDrailers

Apr 13, 2013
Newfoundland
I think the Q will do good if ran right and better name then the last time. Big issue with it last time was the Owners bid against the city then had to turn around and negotiate a lease at Mile One with them. They had a terrible lease deal and lost money on that. Plus never had the proper "Hockey Minded" people running it.

I can almost guarantee the next team that comes here will also be named the IceCaps. Too much money sank in marketing. Maybe a different league gets a different brand, but Danny has sank a nice bit of change making the Caps a household name.

IceCapsHabs

Sep 16, 2012
St. John's
I don't think it will be ran by Danny. He has too much on the go with Galway. I would bet a different brand if its not ran by him

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
I don't think it will be ran by Danny. He has too much on the go with Galway. I would bet a different brand if its not ran by him

I think Danny will be involved. Stanford as well.

As for will it survive? I think so. I think it's what St. John's needs. They need to market a better name though. They also need to be competitive (Blainville makes this a real possibility). I realize the fog devils failed but it was all wrong from the start. If St. John's could make a playoff run/mem cup run or get a young star player like a Nathan Mackinnon or a Radulov I think the Q team in St. John's would become what the Mooseheads are to Halifax.

The team would either need to be called the "Shamrocks" or the "Caps" IMO. Not IceCaps either. Just Caps like the historical St. John's team. Caps would get a major love from the city of St. John's in particular. Shamrocks would gain love from St. John's and the surrounding areas which is very important.

the-1975-st-johns-caps-2561135.jpg

Toronto+Shamrocks+1914-15+3.jpg

Last edited:

Nightsquad

Jan 25, 2014
some ppl just don't get it, since when did Albany have a QMJHL Franchise:shakehead:help:

They didn't, but Plattsburgh NY did. They didn't last very long and were supposed to relocate to Albany. The QMJHL and OHL visited Albany recently as the USHL stated they were looking to maybe place a team in Albany as part of eastward expansion. The problem was allegedly a hockey team will get in the way of arena reconstruction which the arena needs to get done in order for Albany's new NBA-D league franchise next season so the people that run Albany's civic center said no.

Last edited:

IceCapsHabs

Sep 16, 2012
St. John's
@Cousin Eddie You're NBL predictions might be true. I saw this shot of Mile One on the local news tonight. You can see they are setup for some sort of Basketball announcement

1zxb1fm.png

Nightsquad

Jan 25, 2014
@Cousin Eddie You're NBL predictions might be true. I saw this shot of Mile One on the local news tonight. You can see they are setup for some sort of Basketball announcement

1zxb1fm.png

That pic blows me away lol. Outside of the Raptors basketball just seems out of place in Canada. I certainly mean no disrespect to our border north neighbors. As an American hockey fan we look to Canada as hockey's mecca, and Canadians as the all hockey faithful. I know baseball has a strong off season following, minor league baseball in Canada has a historic following, but basketball? I will have to educate myself on the NBL...

McDrailers

Apr 13, 2013
Newfoundland

1zxb1fm.png

Everyone relax lol. This is set up for the Harlem Globetrotters show in a week or so. One time event. You can buy tickets online for it.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Where do the St Johns Sea dogs play??

Saint John New Brunswick, former home of the Flames from 1993-2003, at Harbour Station, go comets, that's why the Fog Devils crashed and burned, first to the fascination of Courteau with Montreal or its suburbs...

Saint John has succeded, where the majority of former Atlantic Canadian teams have, (Charlottetown, PEI/Halifax/Moncton, TO NAME 3), it's just havoc on St. John's because that's why you had 6pm starts when the AHL was there.

Tommy Hawk

May 27, 2006
Where do the St Johns Sea dogs play??

See Hutch's post (that as weird to type that). There is no St. John's Sea Dogs. It is Saint John. And trust me, do not make that mistake talking to someone from those cities.... I have a good friend from the Rock and he gave me a lecture when I poked fun at him once by calling it Saint John.

Saint John New Brunswick, former home of the Flames from 1993-2003, at Harbour Station, go comets, that's why the Fog Devils crashed and burned, first to the fascination of Courteau with Montreal or its suburbs...

Saint John has succeeded, where the majority of former Atlantic Canadian teams have, (Charlottetown, PEI/Halifax/Moncton, TO NAME 3), it's just havoc on St. John's because that's why you had 6pm starts when the AHL was there.

Ahhhhh, the good old days of the AHL....

OilerPensfan97

Feb 27, 2014
Saint John, NB
See Hutch's post (that as weird to type that). There is no St. John's Sea Dogs. It is Saint John. And trust me, do not make that mistake talking to someone from those cities.... I have a good friend from the Rock and he gave me a lecture when I poked fun at him once by calling it Saint John.

Ahhhhh, the good old days of the AHL....

It is fun explaining the difference to family from out west :).

The confusion is part of the reason why I add NB at the end of my location.

jason2020

Sep 24, 2014
That pic blows me away lol. Outside of the Raptors basketball just seems out of place in Canada. I certainly mean no disrespect to our border north neighbors. As an American hockey fan we look to Canada as hockey's mecca, and Canadians as the all hockey faithful. I know baseball has a strong off season following, minor league baseball in Canada has a historic following, but basketball? I will have to educate myself on the NBL...

Basketball is far bigger in Canada then most think.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad