What's Hudler's issue and should he be brought back?

disorder

Oct 31, 2008
I'm kind of a closet Flames fan and I don't get to see them to often. I've seen a few games and he doesn't look bad and in some other games he has looked hurt.

Even if he doesn't produce like last year he still defensively reliable veteran 2nd/3rd liner. He has also been money in the playoffs. Pretty valuable for a younger team with little playoff experience.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
I would bring him back on a 2 yrs contract for 3-4M/year, not any more than that.

I am pretty sure someone will pay him at least that though

I dont what his problem was, probably injury. He seems to play better now. Not a bad player but decent enough to be a stop gap.

The Flames need to get a real prospect in this coming draft for the top 6.

moon*

There is nothing wrong with Hudler this is the player he is. A 50 point guy who goes hot and cold. Last year was fun to watch but that was the exception to the norm for Hudler.

Unless he wants to come back for a way under market contract there is no reason to bring him back. 3.5 million for 3 years is about as high as I am willing to go with him and that would be if we can't find a guy with more size to bring in to replace him.

Old, small, soft, defensively poor wingers are not what this team needs.

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016
I'm kind of a closet Flames fan and I don't get to see them to often. I've seen a few games and he doesn't look bad and in some other games he has looked hurt.

Even if he doesn't produce like last year he still defensively reliable veteran 2nd/3rd liner. He has also been money in the playoffs. Pretty valuable for a younger team with little playoff experience.

There are several issues at play.

Jiri had a couple nagging injuries that started in November. His mobility was affected quite significantly. He has been looking better and better on that front for about 2 weeks.

Hartley had Jiri on the second line with Sam for most of the first half of the season. Thus why Colborne, Ferland, and Frolik were swapped in and out on the first line. Jiri's game never appeared to click with Back's and Sam. When Ferly and Frolik both went down Jiri was moved to the first line again and since his production has improved incrementally.

I think Jiri saw Gio get his contract this last summer and after Jiri season last year he figured he was due for a new contract only to find out that the Flames did not see Jiri's role in the same way he did. That said all might not be lost here but Jiri would have to sacrifice term and salary to stay in Calgary. Probably 2-3 years at 4.5M - 5M. On the open market Jiri could likely garner 5.5-6M for a term of 5 years... way way out of Calgary's budget and commitment range.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
No, time to move on. Fact is, there's nothing wrong with him but you have to look at it like this. How much money are you allocating to your top 6, top 4 and then in net. Then you ask yourself what kind of team do you want to have?

Hudler is probably going to get 4.5 - 5 million from someone, which means if we resign him, we cannot address our need of getting more size in our top 6 because there won't be anymore money. So while Hudler has been great in his time here, our needs have changed and its best for us to go in a different direction.

Last edited:

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
No, time to move on. Fact is, there's nothing wrong with him but you have to look at it like this. How much money are you allocating to your top 6, top 4 and then in net. Then you ask yourself what kind of team do you want to have?

Hudler is probably going to get 4.5 - 5 million from someone, which means if we resign him, we cannot address our need of getting more size in our top 6 because there won't be anymore money. So while Hudler has been great in his time here, our needs have changed and its best for us to go in a different direction.
I would say what is wrong with him is the fact he has been injured most the year ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016

Hudler is probably going to get 4.5 - 5 million from someone, which means if we resign him, we cannot address our need of getting more size in our top 6 but there won't be anymore money. So while Hudler has been great in his time here, our needs have changed and its best for us to go in a different direction.

In my mind Jiri has 1 maybe 2 more years before his skills start diminishing. Unlike Iggy 4 years ago, Hudler is not head and shoulders above the majority of the league so when he starts losing any ability he will plummet to a 4th line roll.
That is why we can't sign Jiri. The Flames need a top 6 RW that can play in Calgary at a very high level for a minimum of 5 years.

Last edited:

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I would say what is wrong with him is the fact he has been injured most the year ;)

Yeah I definitely think that's been playing a factor. The guys in the dressing room really like him, they wouldn't like a guy who isn't trying hard on the ice each night. He's probably had to play a more perimeter game this season to avoid further injury which explains a lot. If we didn't have Gaudreau, I'd be all for bringing him back, but I really think we need another type of player that's going to give our top 6 a whole different look if were going to be a successful team.

Realistically if we were going to bring Jiri back (which I wouldn't hate), we would need to move Wideman, and not bring back Russell or Jones. Raymond would stay down on the farm and you are probably buying out Smid. Then I think you could in theory resign Jiri and get Mony and Johnny signed to long term deals and still have some cash to add another winger in your top 6.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
All I know is he's back to the guy he was last year since the ASG, and it's very tempting to me to want to have him back. Hox, size in the top 6 is great, but we don't need to always have Huds and Johnny on the same line. Monahan, Frolik and Okposo are plenty big enough to put with Huds, Johnny and Samwise. :naughty:

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
All I know is he's back to the guy he was last year since the ASG, and it's very tempting to me to want to have him back. Hox, size in the top 6 is great, but we don't need to always have Huds and Johnny on the same line. Monahan, Frolik and Okposo are plenty big enough to put with Huds, Johnny and Samwise. :naughty:

So let me get this straight.

We're going to

1) Re-sign Johnny (7M+)
2) Re-sign Monny (6M+)
3) Re-sign Hudler (5M+)
4) Sign Okposo (6M+)
5) Still sign a starting goalie (3.5M+)

With barely the cap space to re-sign Monny and Johnny and a goalie :laugh:

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
If we can resign Huds and bring in Okposo, show me where to sign. I think it's possible in theory, but moving salary off the books is not an easy task. Again, it would require to keep Raymond in Stockton, buy out Smid, move Wideman almost at full salary and not bring back Russell or Jones. It would be awesome if Tre can get it done, but it would be challenging without question.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
If we can resign Huds and bring in Okposo, show me where to sign. I think it's possible in theory, but moving salary off the books is not an easy task. Again, it would require to keep Raymond in Stockton, buy out Smid, move Wideman almost at full salary and not bring back Russell or Jones. It would be awesome if Tre can get it done, but it would be challenging without question.

Raymond would need to come off the books too IMO, the 950k we save having him in the AHL is not enough to help

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria

We're going to

1) Re-sign Johnny (7M+)
2) Re-sign Monny (6M+)
3) Re-sign Hudler (5M+)
4) Sign Okposo (6M+)

No starting goalie. We don't need one with the amazing team we'll have. Awwwwwwwwwww yeah. Roll Ortio and Lindback.

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016

We're going to

1) Re-sign Johnny (7M+)
2) Re-sign Monny (6M+)
3) Re-sign Hudler (5M+)
4) Sign Okposo (6M+)

I don't know where the crazy money is being offered to Johnny ... His production puts him on par with Hall (6M), Steen (5.8M), or Patrick Sharp (5.9M).

Considering that he is still a RFA and 2 years younger than Hall has not had an 80 pt season yet and was not a first overall pick 5.75M for 7 years is likely.

Monny will sign for very similar money to Johnny maybe not the term Johnny gets.

Housekeeping duties Trevling will do this year ... Raymond & Smid or Wideman will be bought out in June (I believe each team is allowed 2)

That will clear up another 4 - 5.5 M in salaries. Hopefully either Smid or Wideman is able to be moved too clear more.

Trevling will do this to make room for another top 6 signing and some depth signings. The depth signings will be show me contracts of no more than 2 years for people like Kassian who have promise or have had a bad year this year.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Based on what McKenzie said, it doesn't sound like bringing Hudler back is in the cards. Moreover, it seems like both parties want to go in a new direction. Don't think a few weeks of inspiring play will change that.

Keep in mind, the picks/prospects that Hudler could bring back in a trade could also be used to acquire a winger from somewhere else.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Based on what McKenzie said, it doesn't sound like bringing Hudler back is in the cards. Moreover, it seems like both parties want to go in a new direction. Don't think a few weeks of inspiring play will change that.

Keep in mind, the picks/prospects that Hudler could bring back in a trade could also be used to acquire a winger from somewhere else.

The assets we get for Hudler are more valuable than him playing out the rest of the season in Calgary.

As you mentioned, by insider accounts, there's no real interest in bringing him back and it looks like both sides want to make a clean break after this year. I really wish he kicks his game up to 70 point production again; just for February. That way he can be moved for a nice big return.

He's been injured most of the year, but his play just seems so lackluster and uninspired during that span too; that it really irks me personally. I think what Hudler mostly signifies is that a player with a good skill level with thrive playing with Monahan and Johnny; now you put that in a bigger frame and higher level of finish... you're talking about a completely dominant line.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad