What's Happened To O'Neill?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Canadian

Mar 1, 2002
Markham, Ontario
What's up with Wes O'Neill, I'm surprised no one took a chance on him in the first three rounds today. I was hoping the Toronto Maple Leafs would draft him, but the Leafs went out and drafted a goalie. Anyone know the inside scoop on what's wrong with O'Neill, which has teams allowing him to fall past three rounds?

Last edited:

HockeyMan9

Jul 1, 2002
Columbus, OH
Visit site
Canadian said:
What's up with Wes O'Neill, I'm surprised no one took a chance on him in the first three rounds today. I was hoping the Toronto Maple Leafs would draft him, but the Leafs went out and drafted a goalie. Anyone know the inside scoop on what's wrong with O'Neill, which has teams allowing him to fall past three rounds?

The only thing i've read as to why he's dropped this far is his mental game. He doesn't see the play develope all that well, makes mental mistakes, and just takes too much time to make plays on the ice.

I_r_1337

Jun 10, 2003
Washington D.C.
Visit site
I'm shocked..whoever steals him tomorrows found the Hudler of the 04 draft. I wish Washington had a 4th rounder..seeing as how they've taken a coulpe safe defensive picks they could take a shot on O'Neill with a 4th rounder. But I doubt they will..woulda took him with their 88th overall pick if they wanted him. Somebody is gonna get a hell of a prospect with a 4th round pick tomorrow..

Pandastyle

Yeah, I kept waiting for him to get drafted.

I don't know if this really means anything, but he wasn't there today for day 2 of the Draft. I'm not sure if he was there for day 1 either, but I would have assumed he would be since he was expected to go in the first two rounds.

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
Rabid Ranger said:
Who was the last guy that was tabbed for the first round that dropped quite a bit, Adam Colagiacomo?

Depends who you ask. TSN, in their infinite wisdom :lol , had Nathan Paetch of all people in the first round last year and he was picked in the seventh or something.

big_steve

Dec 6, 2003
Newfoundland
I'd also like to note that I checked for O'Neill in Bob McKenzie's Top 50 Prospects in this years draft and O'Neill wasn't included. Also Oscar Hedman fell back even further to the 5th Round.

KingofSpain

Mar 5, 2002
Windsor, ON
Visit site
Maybe his interviews didn't go well? Wes doesn't sound overly articulate.

A little excerpt from the local paper, The Windsor Star. Two Spitfires NHL-bound

It was an equally big fall for Essex's Wes O'Neill, who thought he might go in the first round and wound up not even going the first day.

The New York Islanders selected him in the fourth round Sunday.

"It sucks, but life goes on," said O'Neill, who was ranked 23rd among North American skaters. "I'm drafted into the NHL, so I can't complain about that. It just means there's a little adversity in your hockey world, but it's not the end of the world."

GOOD FIT

The six-foot-four defenceman out of Notre Dame University was feeling a lot better Sunday after viewing his situation with the Islanders.

"I think it's a good fit," he said.

"They're a young team and I just want to go in and make them look like geniuses."

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
http://www.newyorkislanders.com/news/draft062704_oniell.html

"There's huge upside to this kid," said Islanders' Midwest scout Brian Hunter. "Two years ago, he was a top pick in this draft and he's been highly-touted for a long time. He's a young kid for this draft, which will, down the road, work in his favor because it'll give him a chance to develop."

"He'll need four years in college to develop," said Hunter. "He projects as a two-way defenseman who has the ability to do some things offensively and also be very capable in his defensive zone."

"He's very raw and needs polish," said Hunter. "He needs time to grow into his body and continue to play at a high level."

Hossa

Feb 27, 2002
Abroad
Visit site
Rabid Ranger said:
Who was the last guy that was tabbed for the first round that dropped quite a bit, Adam Colagiacomo?

Probably Daniel Fernholm. He was projected to go top 10 for a while, then fell because of injuries in the rankings, then all the way to the fourth round as well I believe. For a while, he, Anton Babchuk and Joni Pitkanen were all right there as big defencemen slated to go top 10.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->