OT: Whatcha Drinkin

Status
Not open for further replies.

urho

Sep 12, 2008
Oulu
Molson XXX Super Premium. Not bad.

Somebody likes malt liquors? :naughty: Over 7% Molson does sound so dirty that I'd like to buy it somewhere. Not possible in Finland, tho.

I drank AleSmith IPA last night and boy... The best IPA I ever tasted!

Finnish Jerk Train

lol stupid mickey mouse organization
Apr 7, 2008
Raleigh
I think I'm going to make my first-ever trip to Bottle Rev tonight. I want to get something top shelf from NC to share with the groomsmen during gift giving time before the wedding on Sunday. The gifts happen to be personalized wall-mounted bottle openers, so it's only fitting.

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
i am going to stop drinking beer for awhile because i avoided the freshman 15 but have definitely put on the turn 21 15 and it is not good.

so when i drink i will drink scotch.

but itll be hard because i love beer very much.

Carolinas Identity*

I'm a bad troll...
Jun 18, 2011
Calgary, AB
I want this sooooo bad. Damn you Canada for not selling good milk :laugh:

GF_PROD_trumoo_1lowfatchoc_gal_0.png

CioCio

May 13, 2006
Greensboro, NC
Jameson, straight out of the 1.14l bottle. I will mix it with ginger ale tonight.

Bacardi 151 is on my Christmas wishlist.

Wtf? Is any of this in reverse? Pining for 151 yet you wanna dilute the Jameson?

EDIT: Imma let you do you. But damn do I love my Catholic whiskey ;)

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Any suggestions on moderately good, moderately cheep beer?

What style do you like? I'm not sure if you are asking about beer in general or more craft type beers. Taste is such a personal thing that it's hard to say for sure, but for non "craft" beers, if you haven't tried them, give Rolling Rock, Yuengling, Dos Equis (amber), or even Pabst a try (if you like that light style). A lot of places you can just buy 1 bottle/can to try or mix and match (ducks waiting for GP to throw something at suggesting these).

If you want something more "crafty", Kroger used to carry a brand out of NY called something like Taproom 21 that was a step up and "used" to be lower priced than the $7+ / six pack that most craft beers cost. I think they give you a deal if you buy multiple six packs as well. They used to sell a Copper Lager, an Amber Ale and a Pale Ale.

Probably my favorite beer is back on the shelves now..it's New Belgium 1554 Black Lager. I typically like Porters, Stouts, Amber Ales and stuff that aren't hopped to the extreme, although when done right and balanced well, I like a good IPA as well.

Last edited:

Novacane

Jan 25, 2012
Raleigh, NC
What style do you like? I'm not sure if you are asking about beer in general or more craft type beers. Taste is such a personal thing that it's hard to say for sure, but for non "craft" beers, if you haven't tried them, give Rolling Rock, Yuengling, Dos Equis (amber), or even Pabst a try (if you like that light style). A lot of places you can just buy 1 bottle/can to try or mix and match (ducks waiting for GP to throw something at suggesting these).

If you want something more "crafty", Kroger used to carry a brand out of NY called something like Taproom 21 that was a step up and "used" to be lower priced than the $7+ / six pack that most craft beers cost. I think they give you a deal if you buy multiple six packs as well. They used to sell a Copper Lager, an Amber Ale and a Pale Ale.

Probably my favorite beer is back on the shelves now..it's New Belgium 1554 Black Lager. I typically like Porters, Stouts, Amber Ales and stuff that aren't hopped to the extreme, although when done right and balanced well, I like a good IPA as well.
I'm trying to diversify so I'm not really sure I have a "style" yet. I'm not looking for fancy stuff, just more options. Blue Moon is probably my favorite at this point. I guess I's be interested in something more in line with that.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I'm trying to diversify so I'm not really sure I have a "style" yet. I'm not looking for fancy stuff, just more options. Blue Moon is probably my favorite at this point. I guess I's be interested in something more in line with that.

I can't help you from my own experience as I'm not a fan of Blue Moon or beer of that style. I'd go grab a few wheat beers and give them a try. Leinenkugel, Shock Top, etc... Depending on how much hop you like, a friend of mine loves the New Belgium Accumulation. A different friend of mine likes Blue Moon and he also likes Magic Hat #9 even though it's a different style beer so you might want to try that.

Novacane

Jan 25, 2012
Raleigh, NC
I can't help you from my own experience as I'm not a fan of Blue Moon or beer of that style. I'd go grab a few wheat beers and give them a try. Leinenkugel, Shock Top, etc... Depending on how much hop you like, a friend of mine loves the New Belgium Accumulation. A different friend of mine likes Blue Moon and he also likes Magic Hat #9 even though it's a different style beer so you might want to try that.
Alright that sounds good. Thanks for the pointers. I'll try them out

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
hmmm, moderately priced wits are pretty hard to find good ones.

If we did 12s of Beekeeper I'd suggest that one, but we don't and bombers have a much higher price point. I think that's the big issue with most wits though is they're typically in bombers or tap-only type setups.

Pricepoint is going to vary on these but here's the ones I'd suggest checking out:
Allagash White
Lagunitas Little Sumpin Sumpin
Bell's Oberon

Bell's is probably the cheapest of the 3.

I'd also suggest Three Floyds Gumballhead but we don't get distro in NC of them.

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
i finished senior design last night, celebrated by buying a bottle of macallan 12.

unfortunately, my randomly assigned roommates did something to my glencairn glass, so i enjoyed it out of some red solo cups.

i am disappoint.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->