OT: Whatcha Drinkin' II: Another Round!

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
I like Rum and Coke's on occasion, but have no clue what Rum to buy. What's a good, yet relatively inexpensive, Rum to buy that would be used in Run and Coke's and an occasional other mixed drink?

For rum and coke, use cheap, but not bottom shelf. You're not going to taste the nuances of an even marginally decent rum, but the cheapest rums are legitimately terrible stuff, and you will taste the terribleness.

For other mixed drinks, Ron Abuelo Anjeo is my favorite- inexpensive aged rum that's good enough that they could easily sell it for twice the price. Hard to find though, and not in NC ABC stores, unless it's changed since I last lived down there. For a sipping rum, hard to beat Barbancourt. Kracken and Sailor Jerry are both great spiced rums that you can mix or sip. Stay far, far, away from Captain Morgan. Watered down (it's 70 proof) and tastes industrial. Not every big brand is terrible though- Bacardi makes legitimately decent rum. And stuff like Myers, Appleton, 10 Cane- plenty of decent rums out there.

raynman

Jan 20, 2013
I use Kirkland Spiced Rum for rum and cokes. I know **** all about rum, but this stuff is 92 proof, and is $15 for a 1.75 liter bottle. Gets me drunk for cheap. That's all I can ask for. Whenever I'm in Myrtle Beach I make sure to swing by a Costco down there.

Myrtle Beach is like the perfect place to drink copious amounts of liquor.

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
Xf2frZa.jpg

The only good seasonals this time of the year are Oktoberfests/Marzens.

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
I get how pumpkin beer can be polarizing, but I love the stuff. My favorite is Red Hook's Out of your Gourd Pumpkin Porter- had one earlier this evening, for that matter.

Currently drinking wine from Aldi. It's fairly sweet, and I'm not sure I'm gonna make it through the bottle. Maybe I'll mull it.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Not a fan of any of the pumpkin beers I've tried, but I can see how some would like them, just not my cup of tea.

Same goes for many of the IPAs out there. I sometimes enjoy the first few sips, but then they are just way too bitter and hoppy, almost like some breweries are trying to see just how hoppy they can make them. I realize that's what IPAs are though, loaded with hops, but when I do find an IPA that strikes the right balance, I like them a lot, but more often than not, it's not to my liking. Porters, Ambers, Stouts and more balanced Ales, and some lagers are more to my liking but realize it's all personal tastes.

the halleJOKEL

strong as brickwall
Jul 21, 2006
twitter.com
I'm going to Bond Brothers Beer Company after dinner with my dad tonight. Never been before, anybody been there before? And if so, what's good?

yes many times

http://www.bondbrothersbeer.com/whats-on-tap/

their sours are usually pretty good. i had the izzy sorcery and tripleberry last time i was there and liked them both alright. the blonde roast is also very very good if you want something heavier. stride is a good session ipa if you want something hoppy.

Surrounded By Ahos

Las Vegas Desert Ducks Official Team Poster
Sponsor
May 24, 2008
Koko Miami
yes many times

http://www.bondbrothersbeer.com/whats-on-tap/

their sours are usually pretty good. i had the izzy sorcery and tripleberry last time i was there and liked them both alright. the blonde roast is also very very good if you want something heavier. stride is a good session ipa if you want something hoppy.

Well I tried the Izzy but didn't care for it. Almost tasted like a soda. Wound up getting their Cream Ale and Pale Ale. Both were good, I'd have no problem ordering them again.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->