OT: Whatcha Drinkin' II: Another Round!

Finnish Jerk Train

lol stupid mickey mouse organization
Apr 7, 2008
Raleigh
You shut your ***** mouth. That's a spectacular beer. You're probably also one of those heathens who doesn't like Laphroaig.

I wouldn't say spectacular, but it's a pretty good beer, must have just had a bad batch when you had it.

I have only tried it once, probably about 7 years ago. Might be worth another shot. I just remember the smoke flavor overpowering everything else that could have remotely tasted like beer. Maybe they overdid that one.

StormCast

Jan 26, 2008
Raleigh, NC
I get why people like Laphroaig, but I always thought it tasted kinda like licorice, and I hate licorice.
Laphroaig's was one of the most popular tents at the Beer, Bourbon, and Barbecue Festival on Saturday. Not really a fan TBH.

The Apple Pie Moonshine though? Dayum.

A pretty underwhelming selection of beers. Mostly just the usual suspects.

nothingbutrum

Oct 24, 2014
vbookierehab
I bought a 1.14 litre bottle of Jack Daniels.... Ratchet, nasty stuff.

Concerning lot no 40 rye... as a shot, it tasted like dill pickle chips in liquid form. Interesting, to say the least. On ice, it was completely different... Quite enjoyable, once I got past the hint of dill.

Maker's Mark was ok.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I was in Asheville a couple days this week and had wanted to hit up the newly opened New Belgium brewery but wasn't able to make it. I was over by the airport before driving back and had a bit of time and so stopped in at the Sierra Nevada Brewery. That place is mightily impressive and I'm guessing the New Belgium place is probably just as impressive based on what I saw of the construction. Even if you aren't a fan of their beer, I highly recommend you stop by and see the place as it is absolutely incredible.

When I was a kid, I toured the Pabst Brewery in Milwaukee WI and remember being thoroughly impressed, although I knew nothing about beer at the time, but seeing those big Copper vats sticks in my mind. The Sierra Nevada place will stick in my mind as well.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Tonight's choice. I purchased a couple bottles of this wine in either 1997 or 1998 with the intention of breaking them out only on special occasions, so tonight is 1 such night. Let's hope it didn't go bad over the last 20 years.

2zezaed.jpg

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
so...

i think im allergic to certain types of beer/yeast

went brewery hopping yesterday before having some friends i hadnt seen in a year over for dinner

by the time 7pm rolled around my lips had a rash all the way around it, i looked like ronald mcdonald

turns out your self confidence tanks and you become a p bad host when you look like a 5 year old clown who attempted to eat a red popsicle and got it all over his face

mostly gone this morning, in fact began fading significantly about an hour after they left (great timing!)

texted the friend about it today and he goes "oh thank God we had no idea what it was but didnt want to say anything"

dont let your friends drink beer!

the halleJOKEL

strong as brickwall
Jul 21, 2006
twitter.com
so...

i think im allergic to certain types of beer/yeast

went brewery hopping yesterday before having some friends i hadnt seen in a year over for dinner

by the time 7pm rolled around my lips had a rash all the way around it, i looked like ronald mcdonald

turns out your self confidence tanks and you become a p bad host when you look like a 5 year old clown who attempted to eat a red popsicle and got it all over his face

mostly gone this morning, in fact began fading significantly about an hour after they left (great timing!)

texted the friend about it today and he goes "oh thank God we had no idea what it was but didnt want to say anything"

dont let your friends drink beer!

literally worst advice post of all time on any forum on the whole internet

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Salud to your special occasion Good Sir.

Thank you.

What's the occasion?

My oldest son was born in 1995, which is why I picked that vintage of wine to buy, and chose that particularly wine/region because it was an "age worthy" wine. He turned 21 today and given it was a Sunday, he wasn't going out on the town with his friends and girlfriend, so we popped this open and my wife, my son and I shared it together at dinner tonight. It was fantastic, it aged well and can and can even withstand a few more years, so I have a few more bottles that we'll again share at other special occasions in his life.

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
Thank you.

My oldest son was born in 1995, which is why I picked that vintage of wine to buy, and chose that particularly wine/region because it was an "age worthy" wine. He turned 21 today and given it was a Sunday, he wasn't going out on the town with his friends and girlfriend, so we popped this open and my wife, my son and I shared it together at dinner tonight. It was fantastic, it aged well and can and can even withstand a few more years, so I have a few more bottles that we'll again share at other special occasions in his life.

My parents did that with my sister, though not with me or my brother. Well, they bought the bottle and forgot to do it for her birthday, so we tried it at some random occasion when the whole family was home, no special occasion. The bottle they chose went bad somewhere along the way, I tried to uncork it and the cork was rotten and so was the wine. Ah well, we just opened another bottle.

Anyway, I'm having a rum and coke, nothing even close to a nice aged wine. Good for a hot summer day, though.

RodTheBawd

Oct 16, 2013
Thank you.

That's a great idea, which I am going to steal :)

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
That's a great idea, which I am going to steal :)

Might as well, since I stole it from someone else as well. :) I've done this for all my kids so I have some advice I can give on it. So far, all of the bottles have been fantastic and have not gone bad (fingers crossed). Eventually, I'll just give the remaining bottles to them and they can have them when they have their own milestones.

Since I don't know how much you are into wine, I'll give some advice from my experiences, which you are free to ignore: :laugh:

1) Spend time doing your research on what region/bottles to buy since every year it changes what regions produce "age worthy" wines. You can find that info online, buying a wine spectator magazine, or just talking to a person at a store that knows their stuff.

2) A very good wine to age are Vintage Ports if it happens to be a good year. Thing is though, Vintage Ports are not "drinking" wines, they are more sipping/desert wines due to the fact that they are fortified with "Brandy" (not really Brandy like you'd buy commercially, but it's referred to that). Still, I enjoy them and they work well for long term aging. Other wines that I've found to age very well are Bordeaux (Typically Cabernet/Merlot blends so some Califorina Cabs/cab blends work as well), Various Italian wines like Super Tuscan and/or Brunello's (both with Sangiovese based) and/or Barolo (Nebbiolo grape), and Burgundy (Pinot Noir). There are many others as well, but I'm partial to Cabs/Bordeaux's and the Italian wines simply because I like the taste of those more. I'm not as big of a fan of Pinot Noir, but that's just a personal choice so pick a style/grape that you and your wife like.

3) I have friends who bought a case of 1 single wine for his child. I preferred to "hedge my bets" and didn't buy 1 single wine brand, but bought a few bottles of different brands from the same region. Not saying this any better, just felt that if one brand didn't age well or ended up with a bad cork batch, I at least had something.

4) If you end up wanting to buy an expensive wine, talk to the store owner about "futures". You can save a bit of money that way, but you are buying based on what other "experts" think about the wine.

5) Storage: I happen to have a wine cabinet that keeps the wine at ~55F. You don't "need" that, but if you are spending enough money on wine and you want it to last, it wouldn't hurt to buy one of the ones that look like a mini-fridge at Home Depot as they aren't very expensive. If not, the key is to store it in a dark place where the temperature does not fluctuate wildly up or down.

Good luck.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
I like Rum and Coke's on occasion, but have no clue what Rum to buy. What's a good, yet relatively inexpensive, Rum to buy that would be used in Run and Coke's and an occasional other mixed drink?

Depends, do you like spiced rum or do you like more of a dark rum?

Spiced I like Sailor Jerry's, FAR better then Captain IMHO. Regular I like Myers if I can't find/don't want to shell out for Appleton Estates.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->