Dec 14, 2015
Durm
This is what I've been drinking...

27236046529_2be8543a2c_c.jpg

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
I am drinking something roughly akin to Pine-Sol. Somebody left an IPA, which turns out to be one of the horrifically unbalanced 'moar hops' ones, in my fridge forever ago and I finally decided I needed to get rid of it. It pairs okay with the stupidly fatty sausage I'm having for dinner, but not sure that I'll finish it.

bluedevil58

Oct 19, 2017
I drink black box merlot every night. Usually 2 - 4 glasses sometimes more. Does that make me an alcoholic?

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
I'm not drinking a goddamned thing tonight, except for this Mr. Pibb, which is actually kinda tasty, but I'm all outta booze and the store couldn't sell me any because they are Pejorative Slured, and it's 1:20 a.m. and I don't know how I'm going to sleep except maybe go out on the street and score some smack.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
hey a guy on my beer league team has this same calendar. he keeps giving me the beers every sunday, so i'm drinking my way through this advent calendar by proxy

Some of them are pretty good, but I have to say I much prefer the craft American beers to the craft German beers if this calendar is a faithful representation of their overall offering.

the halleJOKEL

strong as brickwall
Jul 21, 2006
twitter.com
Some of them are pretty good, but I have to say I much prefer the craft American beers to the craft German beers if this calendar is a faithful representation of their overall offering.

i highly doubt they are anywhere approaching a faithful representation judging by the equivalent american version of these holiday packs. usually filled with mass produced trashy craft beers that are drinkable, but not exciting

JCLA

Feb 23, 2017
I have recently taken a liking to green man IPA. Has anyone tried it?

I like it and I think it may be one of my more favorite NC IPA's although I'm pretty much a fan of any IPA. Some more than others, but it's hard to go wrong.

Had some Elijah Craig small batch bourbon the other night. Quite tasty. Bourbon's have been growing a lot lately on me. Currently the favorites are: woodford reserve, makers mark, bulleit and elijah craig in no particular order. I'll take the woodford, bulleit and Elijah over makers any day though. Usually I just get the between $25-35 regular sized bottles (750ML) so if anybody has any suggestions for that price range, i'm all ears (eyes?)

Last edited:

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
There are so many awesome $25 bourbons out there it's not even funny. Four Roses Single Barrel, Old Forester BIB, Old Grand-dad 114, Redemption, Weller 12 Year, Larceny, Willet Still Reserve. That ought to get you going in the right direction.

The Elijah Craig stuff is super good too. I'm guessing you got the 12 year (that would be the one with the wood/cork top). I have a bottle of barrel proof that I bought about 4 years ago, I believe it's 128 proof. Was worth every bit of the $80 I paid for it.

If you like those other things over Makers Mark, that tells me you like a spicier whiskey with more rye than wheat. Makers is what they call a wheated bourbon. So is the Wellers I mentioned above. Those kinds are usually milder/smoother/easier to drink but have less complexity of flavor.

I enjoy the cheaper bourbons because I like the alcohol burn. The more expensive you get, the less prominent that is, unless you're buying high-proof expressions.

Last edited:

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
Sierra Nevada Coffee Stout

It tastes like soy sauce. I like it.

I brewed a coffee stout recently. Should be ready around New Years, we'll see how it turned out. Based on what I tasted at bottling, I'm unsure, but the bottle conditioning should help it. It was a kit beer, but I added the coffee and used a nonstandard yeast, so we'll see.

Currently drinking hot buttered rum. Dairy is healthy, see.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
I don't get IPAs either. Is it like a hipster thing? IDK. Anything hoppier than the Samuel Adams Boston Lager is too much for me. Different strokes, I guess, but I just don't understand why anybody would find that taste appealing.

Anymore I find, I only want a trash beer like High Life or MGD, if I'm feeling cheap and trashy, or I go the other extreme with the expensive imperial stouts and malty Belgian ales. That pretty much covers my beer-drinking moods. Any other time, I'll just drink whiskey. I don't need all the empty calories on a semi nightly basis.

Reactions: Surrounded By Ahos

Discipline Daddy

Brentcent Van Burns
Nov 27, 2009
Raleigh, NC
Tonight's game enjoyed with Lonerider Sweet Josie Brown

Sweet Josie is a top 5 local brew for me. My God it's so smooth and perfectly sweet. Love love love that beer.

Last night I had a Crown Valley Imperial Pumpkin Smash. They're selling 4-packs for $8 at Total Wine, which is a pretty good deal. To the person who mentioned Fin du Monde earlier - kudos to you. Probably my favorite Belgian I've had.

Now I'm making Grandma's Apple Pie 'Ala Mode' Moonshine Recipe this apple pie "moonshine" liqueur. It's real good. I like bringing it to parties and not labeling it. It's 40% ABV, but very smooth. People will try it and assume it's just apple cider, and it's hilarious to watch people mix other booze in and sometimes reduce the alcohol content. :)

Surrounded By Ahos

Las Vegas Desert Ducks Official Team Poster
Sponsor
May 24, 2008
Koko Miami
Sweet Josie is an absolutely fantastic beer. I actually tried it for the first time at a canes game.

Last night I drank Great Lakes Christmas Ale.

Tonight I’ll probably have Anderson Valley Winter Solstice.

Reactions: vorbis

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad