OT: Whatcha Drinkin' II: Another Round!

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
This weekend I had a 2016 Reserve Riesling from a winery in the finger lakes NY. I'm usually not a white wine drinker, nor a sweet wine drinker, but this was fantastic. Riesling is probably the wine that the Finger Lakes of NY does the best and apparently, 2016 was a small, but fantastic harvest.

You need to head up to Yadkinville, BBA. Some good wineries up there and some amazing food to be had. My favorite winery up there is one called Dobbins Creek. The owner, Charles King, is about the only person in the Yadkin or Swan Creek AVAs that does a riesling. His regular is amazing and his Sweet riesling (I think it's about 2% residual sugar) is a godly dessert wine. I'm also a fan of pairing it up with some Thai Basil Chicken or Kung Pao Chicken.

Unsustainable

Seth Jarvis is Elite
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina
raw

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
You need to head up to Yadkinville, BBA. Some good wineries up there and some amazing food to be had. My favorite winery up there is one called Dobbins Creek. The owner, Charles King, is about the only person in the Yadkin or Swan Creek AVAs that does a riesling. His regular is amazing and his Sweet riesling (I think it's about 2% residual sugar) is a godly dessert wine. I'm also a fan of pairing it up with some Thai Basil Chicken or Kung Pao Chicken.

I'll give that a try. My last two visits to NC wineries left me pretty unimpressed, but that's kind of the case anywhere. Part of the problem is when it comes to wine, I'm typically a dry red wine drinker, and the east cost really doesn't do those very well compared to California, France, Italy, Spain, Australia, etc...

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
Because I'm too lazy to take a picture of my own bottle:

PumpkinHunter_6packandbottle_297.png

Anyway, fairly decent pumpkin beer. Reasonably malty and spicy, and there's actual pumpkin in there. I love a good pumpkin beer, but I'm not a big fan of "pumpkin spice" beers- it has to actually have some gourd in it, ya asswipes. The whole point is that colonial Americans used pumpkins instead of grain to make beer in the fall. It's seasonal, it's distinctly American, and it's historic. "Pumpkin spice" means you just dumped a bottle of cinnamon in there. This has some pumpkin, but not as much as I'd like. I'd also like it to be heavier bodied and higher alcohol, this is medium bodied strongly leaning toward light and 5.1%, but c'est la vie. It's better than Post Road, which was the only other Pumpkin beer at the liquor store I bought this from.

vorbis

bunch of likes
Feb 9, 2013
YTZ
Because I'm too lazy to take a picture of my own bottle:

PumpkinHunter_6packandbottle_297.png

Anyway, fairly decent pumpkin beer. Reasonably malty and spicy, and there's actual pumpkin in there. I love a good pumpkin beer, but I'm not a big fan of "pumpkin spice" beers- it has to actually have some gourd in it, ya asswipes. The whole point is that colonial Americans used pumpkins instead of grain to make beer in the fall. It's seasonal, it's distinctly American, and it's historic. "Pumpkin spice" means you just dumped a bottle of cinnamon in there. This has some pumpkin, but not as much as I'd like. I'd also like it to be heavier bodied and higher alcohol, this is medium bodied strongly leaning toward light and 5.1%, but c'est la vie. It's better than Post Road, which was the only other Pumpkin beer at the liquor store I bought this from.
that is a pretty strong case for pumpkin beer, which I usually don't like but will treat with a little more respect from now on

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
I'll give that a try. My last two visits to NC wineries left me pretty unimpressed, but that's kind of the case anywhere. Part of the problem is when it comes to wine, I'm typically a dry red wine drinker, and the east cost really doesn't do those very well compared to California, France, Italy, Spain, Australia, etc...

Which NC wineries did you visit, out of curiosity? If you're into dry reds, I'd recommend Raffaldini and Piccione (both of which specialize in Italian reds - Raffaldini, especially) as well as Hutton (their Barbera is pretty darned good), Dobbins Creek (their cabernet sauvignon won a gold medal at the State Fair recently), and Hanover Park.

sheriff bart

Where are the white women at
Nov 11, 2010
Rock Ridge
Not as much a what I'm drinking, but more of a where I'm drinking. If you ever get in the Rocky Mount NC area on a Fri thru Sun, make sure to check out Koi Pond Brewing Co
http://koipondbrewingcompany.com/

They brew some might fine craft beers and usually have live music Friday night, Saturday night, and late Sunday afternoon. You can sign up on their website for a weekly newsletter that gives the schedule of events for the week. Seems that somehow I contribute a bit of my salary there on a regular basis. The place is kid and dog friendly and I've never seen any drama there.

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
How much for a Barbera, Chianti or Montepulciano in those winery?

I'll start with Raffaldini. All of these are 2015 Montepulciano Riserva is $33.00 for a bottle. They also do a blend of Montepulciano, Sangiovese, Petit Verdot and a few other grapes called Bella Misto that's $19.00 for a bottle. Their Sangiovese Classico is $29.00.

Piccione's sold out of their Montepulciano - they're a newer winery and they had a 2013 vintage. Their 2014 Sangiovese is $20

Hutton has a 2014 Sangiovese for $16 and a 2014 Barbera for the same price.

Incubajerks

Feb 9, 2010
Roma
I'll start with Raffaldini. All of these are 2015 Montepulciano Riserva is $33.00 for a bottle. They also do a blend of Montepulciano, Sangiovese, Petit Verdot and a few other grapes called Bella Misto that's $19.00 for a bottle. Their Sangiovese Classico is $29.00.

Piccione's sold out of their Montepulciano - they're a newer winery and they had a 2013 vintage. Their 2014 Sangiovese is $20

Hutton has a 2014 Sangiovese for $16 and a 2014 Barbera for the same price.

Pretty honest prices.

Reactions: WolfpackGoGo

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
For another classic American beverage, I am currently drinking Applejack. With an ice cube! Sadly, the blended stuff, the bottled in bond is better, but I'm poor right now.

Reactions: sheriff bart

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
For another classic American beverage, I am currently drinking Applejack. With an ice cube! Sadly, the blended stuff, the bottled in bond is better, but I'm poor right now.

Applejack as in, apple brandy? I've never had a 100 proof brandy. What's that like?

Reactions: sheriff bart

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
Screen Shot 2017-10-18 at 12.13.09 PM.png
This past weekend, while at the Sip and Savor event at the DPAC in Durham, I experienced on of the better new bourbons that I've come across.

High West Distillery's American Prairie Bourbon

Just a damn fine bit of brown lusciousness...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad