What would you give up for the Number #1 pick in 2006 Draft?

Discussion in 'NHL Draft - Prospects' started by TheRedressor, Jan 18, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheRedressor

TheRedressor Registered User

As far as the Rangers go:

Al Montoya, Michael Sauer, and 2006 1st rounder.

2. WADEugottaBELAKthat

WADEugottaBELAKthat Flynt Flossy

Sure, I'll try it out.

San Jose: Hannan, Goc, 2006 2nd Rounder

3. Greg7

Greg7 Registered User

Whoa, steep. You aren't getting a Crosby/Ovechkin type here, I don't think that sort of return is justified. Depending on who gets the pick on their plans/situation, it might take something like that to get it, but you'd be nuts to give that up imo.

4. Chrisd

Chrisd Registered User

hmm

for the wild... 9th pick overall in 2006 draft (which would be there pick based on season so far)

and I'd throw in AJ Thelen and a 4th rounder in 07.

5. McDonald19

McDonald19 Marcus Pettersson

Analyst
    Bobby Ryan and 3rd round pick.

6. TheRedressor

TheRedressor Registered User

I disagree, Kessel or Johnson are those types of talent.

7. Erik Johnson is a great defensive prospect, Kessel is very skilled but his kobe bryant syndrome is something to watch for.

8. Rez

Rez Registered User

As far as the Canucks go, Dan Cloutier, and a 1st rounder.

9. Greg7

Greg7 Registered User

I really don't want to get into a Kessel vs Crosby/Ovechkin debate, but I think a large majority of people would disagree with you, including me.

As for the topic, I think unless you have a top 5 pick, it's going to be pretty tough to trade up to #1. Those teams usually need those picks and aren't willing to trade down unless it's only a couple spots to pick up someone they like at 2 or 3 or something. Otherwise it will probably take overpayment and some very good young prospects that your team has already invested in will likely be involved, and deals like that (high pick for recent high pick(s)) just don't happen often. Why give up on a guy who you obviously liked when you drafted, and have invested money, energy and development time in your system on to bring him closer to helping your team, only to start the process over again? Well, anyway it's a fun thread, so maybe it doesn't matter if it's realistic.

10. MAF

MAF Registered User

I'd give you Sergej Gonchar in a heartbeat.

11. JF

JF Résidences Soleil?

Home Page:
    One of Rivet/Souray/Komisarek + either Perezhogin/Kostitsyn + our 1st round pick. And with that pick, I would draft Erik Johnson without thinking it twice.
    I don't usually do trade offers, so I'm not really sure if I'm giving too much here or not enough...

12. rigger

rigger Registered User

Dream Weaver
    Raffi Torres or Marc Andre Pouliot and Edmontons first rounder (hopefully 30th, haha)

I would take Johnson in a heart beat and pair him up with Pronger in a couple years. What a mentor.

Our defense in 4 years:

Pronger - Johnson
    Greene - Bergeron
    Chorney - Syvret

That is a great looking d line up.

13. thomasincanada

thomasincanada Registered User

:amazed:

I disagree completely. I wouldn't trade Ovechkin or Crosby for the first two picks together this year.

14. Charge_Seven

Charge_Seven Registered User

Probably because you're not insane.

Kessel is a great young player, but I don't think he even comes close to equalling an Ovechkin, a Crosby, or a Malkin. If the team with the number one pick can find another team that thinks that highly of Kessel, I'd definitely trade that pick.

15. oil slick

oil slick Registered User

I don't know that it's insane to think that Johnson + Kessel = Crosby...

depends on whether you want one probable superstar or two probably elite players.

16. Bishop*

Bishop* Guest

Though I don't doubt either Kessel or Johnson to be your described ELITE players, they haven't played in the NHL and I wouldn't trade the known commodity, and huge draw player in Crosby for that... Dmen take a lot longer to develop too, giving me even more reason to pause...

17. God Bless Canada

God Bless Canada Registered User

Newspaper reporter
    I don't know if I'd trade Hannan for the No. 1 pick right now. Hannan's a star defensive defencemen, one of the best shut-down defencemen in the game, and a guy whose value is at its peak in big games and in the playoffs, which is the hockey that truly counts.

As a Canuck fan, I wouldn't trade up to get the No. 1 pick. This is a very screwball draft. There isn't a franchise-type of player, a guy you build your team around. Kessel has the potential to be a top 20 scorer, but he's not a franchise type. Doesn't have the moxie to be the guy you build around. Johnson's a solid defenceman, but his ceiling isn't as high as Phaneuf, Suter, Pitkanen, Bouwmeester or J. Johnson. The guys from 6-10 could legitimately turn out to be better than the guys picked 1-5.

18. WADEugottaBELAKthat

WADEugottaBELAKthat Flynt Flossy

The only reason I wouldnt' get rid of Hannan is because we just got rid of Brad Stuart. But if the emergence of Tom Preissing is as guaranteed as it looks, I'd get rid of him for sure. I think Hannan was wildly overrated for a while (although I must admit he played real well in 03-04). But he's just a bit part, IMHO - and surly expendable. In fact, this season, I think Hannan has taken a back seat to alot of guys on many nights.

19. nyhabsfan

nyhabsfan Waiting for #25.....

Project Director
    What????????????

you'd give up two of our better prospects Komo and one of Perezhogin/Kostitsyn for a propsect (who has great upside) but hasn't played a game in the NHL? :eek:

Who are you; Reggie Houle's brother? :shakehead

These 2 for 1 deals killed teh Hbas for 10+ years,... if you ever do this you must make SURE you get the best player in the deal, not trading for potential!!! :madfire:

20. Vikke

Vikke ViktorAllvin twitter

Home Page:
    Chris Therien and Brashear and the old goal horn.

21. VanW27

VanW27 Registered User

Student
    Home Page:
    the 10th, 15th, and 25th pick overall. Now to get the 10th 15th and 25th and we'll be set.

22. JF

JF Résidences Soleil?

Home Page:
    I'm sorry, but those are not the deals that killed us for ten years. Name me one time Houle tried or did obtain a number 1 pick in a draft. We're trading to draft a guy that is pretty much a lock to be playing in the NHL and has the potential to be a number 1 defenseman. You have to give something to get something. And I'm sorry, but to me, Johnson is the best player in the deal. We're giving potential for potential here (if they choose Komisarek in the deal). Neither Komisarek, Perezhogin or Kostitsyn have a secured spot on the team as far as I know.

So what do you think about the time when Andre Savard offered Garon, Zednik, Markov and 2 1st round pick (who were Komisarek and Perezhogin) to obtain the 2001 first pick overall (Kovalchuk). He must be another of Reggie Houle's brother too.

So instead of insulting me, why don't you make your "fair" proposal to obtain a number 1 pick overall. I would also like to get opinions from non-hab fans on my deal. I feel that the first round pick is maybe too much.

23. gars59

gars59 Registered User

Cegep

kessel is not kovalchuck .....

when he offered this
    garon= goalie in ahl ... prospect
    zednik: 20 goal year player ...
    markov: a rookie , who don't speak english, and have problem of adaptation in north america 63-6-17-23
    perezhogin+komisarek = prospect

24. Rabid Ranger

Rabid Ranger 2 is better than one

Contract manager
    Some of the offers being bandied about are pretty hefty for a guy like Kessel, but I wouldn't be surprised if some team was infatuated with Erik Johnson enough to offer the moon for him. He's got a TON of upside.

25. JF

JF Résidences Soleil?

Home Page:
    I've never said that Kessel was as talented as Kovalchuk. And anyway, I would draft Johnson, not Kessel. I'm talking about the price to pay to get a first overall pick.
    What is your point exactly? That Savard did not offer a lot for Kovalchuk?
    What do you propose then to get the first pick? The usual mix of Sundstrom, Ribeiro, Dandenault? All that I'm saying is that you usually have to overpay to convince the GM who has the first pick to trade it. A cheap offer will not work.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.