What Would be Involved in Moving to Copps

GSC2k2*

Why would he want to own the arena? It's better to lease it then the city of Hamilton is stuck with it 20 years down the line.

Hamilton is a better location than K-W, accessible by a larger population, K-W has the 401. Hamilton is served by the QEW, 403, 407, and GO transit. Hamilton is only 20 further from London than it is from K-W. Toronto is closer to Hamilton, as are its suburbs (via 407).

The complex that Copps is attached to is also an asset. A shopping centre, a Sheraton Hotel, 8000 underground parking spaces, 3 office towers, Hamilton Place, Hamilton Convention Centre, the Art Gallery of Hamilton, Public Library and the Market are all accessible without even stepping outside. JB would be running the Convention Centre and Hamilton Place as well as Copps.
None of that stuff you mention -Jackson Square, all the parking, etc. - is part of any deal. It is owned by private interests. The convention centre and Hamilton Place run a $2.7 million deficit annually.

Also, it is only two towers that are accessible without going outside, and there are not exactly a lot of bigtime companies there (Stelco is pretty well it). Don't forget to mention, by the way, that the mall to which you refer is almost always empty of customers. It is a colossal failure.

I have no idea what you are trying to say about London.

Why would he want to own the arena? It's better to lease it then the city of Hamilton is stuck with it 20 years down the line.

Sorry, but that is just flat out funny.

mr. Blase

Jun 6, 2007
Ontario
You must be one of those people who lives on the Mountain or in Stoney Creek and never goes downtown. Way to support your city. Maybe you haven't noticed that there is a skywalk across King St. or that Jackson Square, whatever its faults, is actually one of the most successful downtown malls in Canada and is full of people everyday.

And if you don't know there are benefits of leasing, then you know nothing about business.
I don't live in Hamilton but I'm quite famiar with the city and the inferiority complex of some of its citizens.

GSC2k2*

You must be one of those people who lives on the Mountain or in Stoney Creek and never goes downtown. Way to support your city. Maybe you haven't noticed that there is a skywalk across King St. or that Jackson Square, whatever its faults, is actually one of the most successful downtown malls in Canada and is full of people everyday.

And if you don't know there are benefits of leasing, then you know nothing about business.
I don't live in Hamilton but I'm quite famiar with the city and the inferiority complex of some of its citizens.
Bzzzt. Sorry. Not that it's any of your business, but I live under the mountain brow.

"Way to support your city". LOL. What a foolish statement, even by your already impressive standards.

The skywalk to which you refer is not connected to the tower which is across the street. It is attached to Hamilton Place. LOL again.

Jackson Square "is actually one of the most successful downtown malls in Canada and is full of people everyday". Ha!!!!! Thanks for making me spit out my Pepsi. It is a desert island. It closes at 6 pm.

As for leasing and my business experience, I assure you that I know more than you. By quite a bit.

RE your "inferiority complex" comment, you are definitely new to the Board. I think even my usual opponents would laugh heartily at that moniker applying to me.

mr. Blase

Jun 6, 2007
Ontario
Spit all you want. There's no point in arguing with you. You obviously know everything. The skywalk goes from Sheraton to the Convention Centre, but whatever. And I know this because I come to Hamilton for business quite often, you know to meet with people in those office towers that you think Stelco has offices in (they don't). And some of the stores in Jackson square close at 6, like most donwtown retailers, but the restaurants are open later, The Honest Lawyer that just moved in is booming as is the theatre. Maybe you should go in at lunchtime and see if you can find a seat, but you probably can't leave school property or something.

Keep regaling the poor souls on this board with your brilliant economic theories!

GSC2k2*

Spit all you want. There's no point in arguing with you. You obviously know everything. The skywalk goes from Sheraton to the Convention Centre, but whatever. And I know this because I come to Hamilton for business quite often, you know to meet with people in those office towers that you think Stelco has offices in (they don't). And some of the stores in Jackson square close at 6, like most donwtown retailers, but the restaurants are open later, The Honest Lawyer that just moved in is booming as is the theatre. Maybe you should go in at lunchtime and see if you can find a seat, but you probably can't leave school property or something.

Keep regaling the poor souls on this board with your brilliant economic theories!
LOL. Oh my.

By the way, I worked for many years at 1 King St West.

Hamilton Place and the convention centre are all one building, but whatever. Clearly you are caught out (didn't expect someone who actually lives in Hamilton to catch your ridiculous comments). Don't take it so hard.

I was not aware that Stelco had moved. Not surprising, given their performance. Perhaps the Honest LAwyer can buy seasons' tickets. LOL! That makes one business.

Give it up. Let the adults talk here.

mr. Blase

Jun 6, 2007
Ontario
Okay, you win. I give up. I resign from the board. You know more than me and you know more the Jim Balsillie and his lawyers and advisers, who have stupidly went to the trouble of forming a company to secure rights to Copps Coliseum.

Northern Dancer

The future ain't what it used to be.
Mar 2, 2002
5 K from the ACC
Okay, you win. I give up. I resign from the board. You know more than me and you know more the Jim Balsillie and his lawyers and advisers, who have stupidly went to the trouble of forming a company to secure rights to Copps Coliseum.[/QUOTE]

On that part you are absolutely correct, it was stupid of Baslillie to do that!!!

sensfan83*

haha this 3rd page is hilarious!! :handclap:

Anyways, I'm curious as to why building a new arena in K-W would be such a bad move? If you can sell 20-yr naming rights for $100 mil, than its only 150-200 mil to build the arena, which is the same as it would cost to upgrade Copps anyways.

Also, it seems to me that K-W would have far greater corporate support, and it shouldnt be a problem drawing people to the arena when it is so close to Toronto and Leafs games are so overpriced. Also, I think someone said that K-W is outside of Buffalo's territorial rights. To me, it makes sense to build a new arena in K-W... but I'm not as well versed in financial matters as a lot of you seem to be.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad