What Would be Involved in Moving to Copps

SoCalPredFan

Apr 14, 2007
Portland, OR
Great, great post Carpenter.

Let me ask this question directly to everyone:
Is it out of the question for Balsillie to work to make the Nashville market viable? --- using the out-clause/Hamlton deal/Cambridge Land etc as a "Plan B" if Nashville won't work.

I lived in Nashville for a long time. I even worked for the Preds in '98-99. Though I live in California now --- I know Nashville as a city. This city is a VIABLE NHL market. Just not yet. It needs work.

Some have suggested today on the Preds Board that Leopold may have upset Corporate Nashville long ago and was essentially "blackballed" in a lot of ways.

With a new owner and a ton of media focus on Music City, is it completely unrealistic to think that Nashville could fight to save this team ---- and then THRIVE thereafter?

Maybe I'm dreaming, but it sounds almost more realistic than amassing $500bil in debt to move the team in Toronto's backyard.

-Tom

Metallian*

Dec 27, 2005
There were rumours that back when Hamilton was in the running for an expansion team (Ottawa got it instead) that the Hamilton group had agreed to pay the Leafs and Sabres 50 million each for territorial infringement.

I would think that amount would have soared with Nashville trading 220 million U.S. (I believe the expansion fee paid by Ottawa and Tampa Bay was 50 million back then).

The only hope (I think) for Hamilton would be for Buffalo to move to Hamilton thereby NO infringement fees would be necessary. (as technically Bufflao is within Toronto's territory anyway).

So forget the arena costs, the whole thing makes NO sense.

How is Buffalo within Toronto's territory? It's not even in the same country!

Seriously, all this talk about territory limits and "fees" / levys is just absurd. NJ paid NYR/NYI a combined $33M to enter into that area. WOW!

Any people are throwing figures in the $100M range now?

kdb209

Jan 26, 2005
Seriously, all this talk about territory limits and "fees" / levys is just absurd. NJ paid NYR/NYI a combined $33M to enter into that area. WOW!

You do realize that the Devils paid that $35M territorial fee TWENTY FIVE YEARS AGO. Hell, if you just look at the CPI, $35M in '82 is the equivalent of $75M today, and NHL Franchise values have gone up a hell of a lot more than inflation - John McMullen bouth the Rockies for $10M in 1982 and sold them for $175M in 2000.

$100M would probably be on the low side for the territorial rights fees, given the huge franchise value of the Leafs, and that Balsillie would have to make a high enough offer to get both the Leafs and Sabres to agree. It's up to those two teams, not the league, to decide on what the appropriate value should be, and they are under no obligation whatsoever to agree - both have effective veto power over a move to Hamilton.

Northern Dancer

The future ain't what it used to be.
Mar 2, 2002
5 K from the ACC
How is Buffalo within Toronto's territory? It's not even in the same country!

33 million in 1982 dollars = 71 million in 2006 dollars so 100 million is not out of line especially with franchise values now at 200 million (Preds will trade at 220 million).

As for Buffalo, (I concede) it would be very debatable whether they are in Toronto's territorial turf or not as I believe it is only 50 miles (as the crow flies from Toronto to Buffalo) so who knows? (I do not believe it matters what country a city is in I believe it is a 50 mile radius).But the point was Buffalo moving to Hamilton certainly eliminates having to pay themselves any territorial fee and argueably also eliminates the Leafs from receiving anything).

All current 30 owners of NHL teams will support maximum fees for territorial rights as it would be mayhem if teams could move into another teams turf without recourse. It is in their best interests.

Northern Dancer

The future ain't what it used to be.
Mar 2, 2002
5 K from the ACC
According to Forbes, Daryl Katz's net worth is 1.9 Billion, ranked 538th in the world. Not too shabby.

No it is not to shabby but that does not mean he has 500 million bucks sitting in a checking account looking for a play-toy. He would most likely finance any acquistion which would mean he wud at least want to have a chance to break even. These people are billionaires for a reason !

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Actually, Egil, Hamilton is not practical for reno reasons alone. The territorial issue is simply icing on the cake.

It is one thing to discuss building an arena when one has made an initial investment of the size made by the Calgary owners or EIG. It is quite another when one is making an initial investment of $220 million. I have done this in another thread, but allow me to run you through the math and some economic realities (all figures US$):

Since I was the target of your last post, please excuse me for reposting my response to your math..

You think so, huh? Here is something for you to chew on. Balsillie's wealth has been variously quoted as being in the $2 billion range. You want to know what that is made up of? It is made up of 11.5 million RIM shares. Multiplied by $164/share, that works out to $1.88 billion. I am sure he has exercised a stock option or two in his time, but I think you will find it to be shockingly low, and the ones he has exercised and then sold have been sold in order to finance completely the shares that he has retained. People seem to think that a non-dynastic billionaire like Balsillie has hundreds of millions in his checking account or between the cushions of his couch. Such is not the case. As stated above, Balsillie's billions are in his company's shares, as they should be. To the extent that he has other capital assets, they are most assuredly tucked away in investments.

I am fully aware of where most of Mr. Balsillie’s wealth lies. Local speculation seems to suggest that he would use about fifty million cash/liquid assets towards the franchise purchase and finance the remaining 170 million. However, since I have no concrete evidence to support this I will for the sake of argument concede your point and assume that he will initially finance the entire purchase.

Now, if you were to suggest that he would finance the purchase by selling 2 or 3 million of his RIM shares, well you don't really know too much about finance or taxes. The act of him doing so would result in his stock price coming under pressure and depress the value of his remaining holdings as well as his fellow stockholders.

Let’s play a little thought experiment here. RIM trades about 8-9 million shares per day. Suppose Mr. Balsillie was to sell 40,000 shares per month for 5 years. If this was done completely anonymously then based on volume alone there is no way that this would depress share prices. However, being an insider Balsillie could not sell 2.5 million shares without filing notice so the anonymous part is out the window. It is true that a substantial sell-off by an insider could negatively affect stock values. This is generally because it has the potential to create the impression that the insider feels future value of the stock may be less. But if it was clear that sale was to finance a highly public purchase and that the total to be divested was less than a quarter of his shares do you really believe that there would be a resulting erosion of confidence. (As an aside, contrary to popular belief tere are many that feel that it is actually the case that the real concern with insider trading is on the buying side rather than with mass sell-off.)

I am not suggesting that this exact scenario is realistic. I am very sure that if he does decide to sell his shares his approach will be much more elaborate, but it does illustrate that Mr. Balsillie could finance his purchase by selling RIM stock in a fairly benign manner.

Suffice it to say that such things are simply not done by anyone who has significant holdings in their company.

Here I might bring up Mark Cuban as a counterexample. As you know, after selling Broadcast.com to Yahoo for $5 billion in stock, he used hedging techniques to quickly divest himself of the Yahoo stock. He then used part of the proceeds to buy the Mavs. In fact, while Cuban may not be a conventional investor, there are some obvious similarities between him and Balsillie. In any case, moving a substantial portion of his assets into an investment for which he would have nearly complete control of the new company’s business plan is exactly the type of move that you would expect Cuban would suggest to Balsillie.

What's more, he would generate a gigantic capital gain on those shares and be forced to pay tens of millions in unnecessary taxes, which would further increase the amount of shares he would need to sell.

The only part I would not agree with is that the capital gains would be “unnecessary”. In the end, the only way that Balsillie’s stocks will not eventually generate capital gains is if he gives them away (something he has doneto a fairly subatantial degree). For someone with $2 billion in assets taxes are a fact of life. Of course, there are ways to reduce the impact and Mr. Balsillie would no doubt make every attempt to do so.

As for his other capital investments, he would face the very same tax issues. It would be horrific financial planning, and I assure you that guys who get as rich as this do not engage in poor fiancial planning.

There is more to financial planning than tax issues. Again, Mark Cuban’s name comes to mind. He has frequently railed against investors making decisions primarily on the basis of tax issues. I am not saying that he is right, but just pointing out that there is more than one way to look at this.

FURTHERMORE, given that he would be paying interest of something less than 10% (perhaps much less, in fact) if he were to borrow the money, he would be foolish to finance the purchase instead through the sale of assets which are currently appreciating at much more than that interest rate (RIM is doing wonderfully, having tripled over the past year), on top of the huge tax bill as aforesaid.

We agree that the purchase of a sports franchise is a very complex investment. We are both being very speculative. Though I would say that for Mr. Balsillie to leave such a large percentage of his wealth in one company could in itself be considered rather foolish from a risk management point of view.

In short, he would borrow the purchase price for the team and project finance the bulding of an arena if he were to want to move the team to KW. There is no other remotely feasible manner of proceeding.

This we disagree on. There are other options. However, for the rest of the post, I will assume that he will indeed seek long term financing for his purchase.

$200 Million, plus a $250 million arena, plus incidental and start-up costs and lease breaking fees (to say nothing of territorial fees, if applicable) is a big nut, even for a billionaire. Contrary to some around here, it is not petty cash.

Agreed, though the territorial fees are the primary reason why I do not see Hamilton as a realistic long term destination. $150 million to improve someone else’s building plus say $100 million more for territorial rights seems a bit much to me compared with what you could build in KW for the same price. This would also seem to be much less straight forward to finance since there are not obvious assets to back up this part of the deal.

That is a fair point, but here is the thing. It is one thing to expect or rely on franchise value appreciation, which one might expect. However, that appreciation is not monetized until the team is sold by him (if ever).

This goes for RIM stocks as well.

The $800 million in carrying costs is hard cash that must be financed out of cash flow. What that means is that, right out of the box, a KW team would have to generate revenues of probably somewhere around $110 million ($40 in carrying costs, a $40-45 million payroll and $25-30 million in operating costs), which in fact would put them in the upper echelon of revenue generators, which would result in a revenue sharing bill on top of the above (say $5-10 million more, who knows).

Here is where the post really starts. Let’s say that Mr. Balsillie decides to stay in Nashville. Everything you have said so far still applies. The only thing that changes is that the carrying costs will be reduced by about $24 million. This is a non-trivial amount. However, it is mitigated by the potential difference in revenue a team in Southwestern Ontario could generate as compared to the same team in Nashville. If numbers that have been flying around here are to be believed the difference in gate receipts between Nashville and all the Canadian teams is upwards of $400K per game. This amounts to a difference of about $17 million over the regular season. Because of higher ticket prices there could be additional revenue gains with even one round of playoffs. Even giving Nahsville the benefit of the doubt a case could be made that a KW based team could generate a net gain of at least $10 million dollars over a Nashville franchise. This would mean that Balsillie would need to come up with about $14 million more per year to make a go of it in KW than he would to stay in Nashville (Admittedly, these numbers are pulled out of the air but my sense is that the error is in Nashville’s favour). If it really is Mr. Balsillies desire to have a team in his back yard then this alone number does not seem to be large enough to prevent him from doing so.

This is to say nothing of the cost of operating his new facility. One might think that a shiny new arena would be filled up by concerts and other events? I highly doubt that, given that Toronto's venues would provide huge competition for those acts, as well as Copps here in Hamilton, which has a hard enough time getting major acts in itself.

This has always been my main concern with a potential KW move. I am still not sold on the areas ability to draw top acts in large enough numbers to keep the building going. However, there is no doubt in my mind that the immediate area is starved for such a facility and that if these events could be scheduled, they would sell-out. I also think that the Region would step-up with partial funding (say $50 million as a guess)

I hope that clarifies the "math" somewhat. Since you billed yourself as being math-literate, I have taken you at your word with this detailed response.

Thank you. It certainly does. Though to be honest, my goal was to draw others into the conversation. Since the “math” we are talking about is actually quite trivial, (say in comparison with Functional Analysis), your post should do the trick.

By the way, at prime your $40 million annually corresponds to a 20 year amortization
including principle. As such under your terms the interest costs will be more like $300 million.
These costs do have positive tax implications.
All of this being said, I do not think that Hamilton will be the final destination.
I do agree with gscarpenter2002 that the reno cost plus the territorial rights would be
the deal-breaker.

Last edited:

Egil

Mar 6, 2002
Visit site
Actually, Egil, Hamilton is not practical for reno reasons alone. The territorial issue is simply icing on the cake.

It is one thing to discuss building an arena when one has made an initial investment of the size made by the Calgary owners or EIG. It is quite another when one is making an initial investment of $220 million. I have done this in another thread, but allow me to run you through the math and some economic realities (all figures US$):

The purchase price for the team is $220 million.

The cost of building a state of the art arena is approximately $250 million (based on the cost of NJ's arena).

Add in the cost of breaking the Nashville lease and various and sundry items (including the cost of moving 25 players, severance, start-up costs, etc.).

Total cost = $500 million.

The debt service on that amount is in the range of $40 million ANNUALLY. $40 million before one even pays down a penny on the principle.

Amortized over an aggressive 25 year period, that amounts to nearly $650 million in interest costs.

Now as to whether one would suggest that Balsillie has $500 million sitting in between the cushions of his couch, or even if it is sitting around in easily liquidated assets which he could easily cash in, Balsillie's wealth has been variously quoted as being in the $2 billion range. You want to know what that is made up of? It is made up of 11.5 million RIM shares. Multiplied by $164/share, that works out to $1.88 billion. I am sure he has exercised a stock option or two in his time, but I think you will find the number to be shockingly low, and the ones he has exercised and then sold have been sold in order to finance completely the shares that he has retained. People seem to think that a non-dynastic billionaire like Balsillie has hundreds of millions in his checking account. Such is not the case. As stated above, Balsillie's billions are in his company's shares, as they should be. To the extent that he has other capital assets, they are most assuredly tucked away in investments.

Now, if one were to suggest that he would finance the purchase by selling 2 or 3 million of his RIM shares, well that person would really not know too much about finance or taxes. The act of him doing so would result in his stock price coming under pressure and depress the value of his remaining holdings as well as his fellow stockholders. Suffice it to say that such things are simply not done by anyone who has significant holdings in their company. What's more, he would generate a gigantic capital gain on the enormous appreciation in those shares and be forced to pay tens of millions in unnecessary taxes, which would further increase the amount of shares he would need to sell.

As for his other capital investments, he would face the very same tax issues. It would be horrific financial planning, and I assure you that guys who get as rich as this do not engage in poor fiancial planning.

FURTHERMORE, given that he would be paying interest of something less than 10% (perhaps much less, in fact) if he were to borrow the money, he would be foolish to finance the purchase instead through the sale of assets which are currently appreciating at much more than that interest rate (RIM is doing wonderfully, having tripled over the past year), on top of the huge tax bill as aforesaid. Frankly, the tax issues alone would prevent it.

In short, he would borrow the purchase price for the team and project finance the bulding of an arena if he were to want to move the team to KW. There is no other remotely feasible manner of proceeding.

$200 Million, plus a $250 million arena, plus incidental and start-up costs and lease breaking fees (to say nothing of territorial fees, if applicable) is a big nut, even for a billionaire. Contrary to some around here, it is not petty cash.

While a franchise might very well appreciate, that appreciation is not monetized until the team is sold by him (if ever). The $650 million in carrying costs is hard cash that must be financed out of cash flow. What that means is that, right out of the box, a KW team would have to generate revenues of probably somewhere around $110 million ($40 in carrying costs, a $40-45 million payroll and $25-30 million in operating costs), which in fact would put them in the upper echelon of revenue generators, which would result in a revenue sharing bill on top of the above (say $5-10 million more, who knows).

This is to say nothing of the cost of operating his new facility (the $25-30 million simply refers to the operating cost of the team itself). One might think that a shiny new arena would be filled up by concerts and other events? As we have discussed, I highly doubt that, given that Toronto's venues would provide huge competition for those acts, as well as Copps here in Hamilton, which has a hard enough time getting major acts in itself.

It is for this reason why it is so critical in the US that arenas be financed publicly. MLSE built their own arena. They of course did not have to finance the $220 million to buy the team. Also, the Teachers Pension Fund is in another league entirely from mere billionaires like Balsillie. Also, the Leafs themselves are in another league entirely as well with their ticket prices and (more importantly) box prices.

So you see, the question of whether a KW team could generate $20-25 million more than Nashville is not the right question. They need to generate $20 million more just to keep up with how the team is doing in Nashville (the additional debt service form financing an arena).

The only relevent cost when comparing Nashville, KC and K-W is the arena cost. The Franchise cost is the same for all 3 markets. It is a sunk cost at this point, so any comparative analysis that uses it is full of ****.

The only relevant question is CAN K-W bring in enough "extra" revenue to pay for the arena? That corresponds to about $20-25 mil more a year than KC or Nashville. The worst Canadian team brought in about $1 mil a game, whereas Nashville was just barely over $500k (and 7 other teams are lower than Nashville). With the dollar even higher, the those numbers would be even higher. The difference in gate receipts ALONE is enough to cover the Arena.
Then, when you consider that the TV rights which will require a negotiation and a half with the Leafs (and a little bit with the Sens). But at worst you will get Mississauga, Hamilton, and the remainder of Southern Ontario, which is a BIG bonanza in terms of money. Get the NHLPA to pressure the NHL to allow the team to get on TV throughout Toronto (as that would increase league revenues, and the potential is insane).

This is why I believe that despite having to finance an arena, it STILL makes sense to move the team to K-W over the other options.

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
Great, great post Carpenter.
But it seems like a rather pointless one. I thought it was already a no-brainer that Hamilton was only ever going to be a temporary holding spot anyway? You don't have to bring Copps up to NHL standards to keep a team there for a year or two. The territorial indemnifications to Toronto and Buffalo must also be based on revenue infringements over an assumed-permanent timeframe. So that would all scale back too, probably. Maybe I'm just out of the loop, but I never heard of anyone seriously thinking that the Preds would be permanently moved to Hamilton? :dunno:

GSC2k2*

But it seems like a rather pointless one. I thought it was already a no-brainer that Hamilton was only ever going to be a temporary holding spot anyway? You don't have to bring Copps up to NHL standards to keep a team there for a year or two. The territorial indemnifications to Toronto and Buffalo must also be based on revenue infringements over an assumed-permanent timeframe. So that would all scale back too, probably. Maybe I'm just out of the loop, but I never heard of anyone seriously thinking that the Preds would be permanently moved to Hamilton? :dunno:
You would then be shocked to learn that there are those who seriously think exactly that. For many here (the less financially informed, IMO), Hamilton is a no-brainer.

Once you make the assumption that the team would be a mere temporary resident in Hamilton, it makes even less apparent sense for the team to reside there temporarily. The city of Hamilton would have zero incentive to support a mere temporary tenant. Plus. the team would be able to garner zero support from the community. Also, the team would earn zero money from corporate boxes, since there are in fact none. The team would earn zero in parking, as Copps is actually attached to a mall that is privately owned and thus not part of any proposed deal. The team could not charge NHL prices for that place, given the complete lack of amenities (no clubs for club seats, I believe). Balsillie would lose tens of millions a year (adding to his acquisition costs) by proceeding in this fashion.

Of course, if one takes the view that the team could charge downtown TO Leaf prices (tickets and boxes), earn a "TV bonanza" for all of southern Ontario despite the problem of conflicting games on the same night and cutting into the Leafs TV area, and the team would start earning $150 million US in revenue right out of the chute - a preposterous position, IMO - then I guess all would be right in the world, and Balsillie could have paid $500 million for the team and made a great deal even then.

AdmiralPred

Jun 9, 2005
gsc2000, isn't playing in a temporary location how the Ottawa Senators and Karmanos went about their operations while waiting for their permanent facilities to be built?

GSC2k2*

gsc2000, isn't playing in a temporary location how the Ottawa Senators and Karmanos went about their operations while waiting for their permanent facilities to be built?
Yes, I believe they did (Karmanos in Greensboro?). They also did not draw flies while doing so. That is part of my point. There are those who would say "nonono, the Hamilton team would sell out!!"

Of course, as well neither of them had the debt service on a $220 million nut to cover while they were doing so. Also, the cost of construction back then was a lot less than it is now.

sandman08

Dec 12, 2003
Hyderabad, India
Visit site
if hamilton is used as a temp stop while a stadium is built in k-w.. would the team still have to pay the leafs and sabres for territorial rights or (given the temporary nature) would those fees be waived given k-w isnt actually within either teams territorial region?

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
Yes, I believe they did (Karmanos in Greensboro?). They also did not draw flies while doing so.
I was sitting in the Civic Centre for several of those Ottawa temporary-resident games. I do not recall ever seeing an empty seat. Mind you, the arena only holds something like 9-10,000. But you probably could have sold 20,000 seats there - it was a more accessible location than the Kanata one.
That is part of my point. There are those who would say "nonono, the Hamilton team would sell out!!"
Nonono! ;) I bet they would sell out. At least, in terms of the fans in the seats. Not sure about the corporate side - on the other hand, if Balsillie is also building a new state of the art arena in a better location, he could probably offer up incentives to the corporations that would also see that side suitably represented too. (First dibs on boxes in the new arena, say, if you stick it out for 2 years in Copps).

In fact, I think the whole idea of the NHL succeeding in Hamilton might have been a little farfetched, even stepping outside of the biggest financial picture items like arenas, renovations, and territorial infringement fees. Because it is kind of a depressed-seeming place, and I'm not as sure as others seem to be that the population would continue to buy up their requisite portion of tickets over the long haul. And getting into downtown Hamilton probably doesn't have the easy GTA-drive-up appeal that his Cambridge side-of-the-highway site might offer.

BUT! For a year or two only, I think the "novelty" concept would sell it out, easy. (Also taking into account that a non-renovated Copps probably offers considerably lower seating and box capacity than whatever the "official" numbers are commonly cited as).

Even that sounds like an increasingly moot point... if Balsillie *has* to stay in Nashville for a year or two anyway, regardless of the relative costs, then he probably should have time to build his new arena in the meantime. He said it himself: the Hamilton agreement is just a contingency plan. And for that matter, one would think the sweetheart offers from Kansas City or wherever are also sitting on his desk. If he was just in it for the money, he'd probably have an easy choice. On the other hand, if he has the true passion for putting another NHL team in Southern Ontario, then perhaps the relative startup costs don't matter all that much to him. (And by the same token, if he's absolutely set on that path, I still think the NHL will ultimately refuse his purchase and kick him to the curb again).

mr. Blase

Jun 6, 2007
Ontario
Every indication is that Balsillie wants to put a team in Hamilton.

He had a deal for Copps when he tried to buy the Penguins, and he has a deal for Copps now.
The Canadian Competition bureau is now involved so he can get out of paying the Leafs and Sabres.
He hasn't made any moves suggesting he'd be moving to Kitchener-Waterloo. So RIM bought some land along the 401. RIM isn't buying the Preds, JB is. If that land was for an arena, wouldn't JB's other company that he specifically set up for his NHL bid have bought that land? Think about it for a second, why would a little city like -W get a team anyway?

Hamilton is a good choice, it's very central. Copps Coliseum is a couple minutes off the 403. Hamilton has far more infrastructure to support a team, from media to transportation to hotels, etc... There is corporate support in the Greater Hamilton Area, economically Hamilton's annual GDP is nearly twice that of K-W's. Copps is basically the skeleton of an NHL arena. There is empty space under the second deck for luxury boxes and the roof can even be raised to add more seats and boxes. The concourses are empty now, but could be filled with the amenities of a major league facility, that's what it was designed for.

Here's what you should really think about, and why it makes sense to move the team to Copps:

New Jersey just built a new arena, it cost $377 million. It has the same seating capacity as Copps. Prudential Insurance paid $103.5 million for the 20 yr. naming rights. With Copps, JB can spend $150 million to renovate and get a 20 year lease and manage the facility, including naming rights. Basically he can have a brand new top notch facility and naming rights for only $150 million. If he has to pay the Leafs and Sabres $50 million each, he's still getting an NHL arena close to his home for far less than New Jersey had to pay for theirs.

Egil

Mar 6, 2002
Visit site
IF Balsille gets the territorial rights thrown out, then the logical location is either Toronto or Mississauga, not Hamilton or K-W. And if the rights arn't thrown out, the only logical locations are K-W (for no righst paid) or Toronto/Mississauga (if your eating the territorial righst anyways), not Hamilton.

mr. Blase

Jun 6, 2007
Ontario
No, with Toronto or Mississauga he'd have to go through the hell of funding and building a new arena, while with Hamilton, the city is prepared to practically give him an arena. Even though Copps needs upgrades it's still a sweet deal: the cost of the renovations is worth it because he will get all the revenues and naming rights.

SoCalPredFan

Apr 14, 2007
Portland, OR
... all of this is 7 years down the road anyway ... and a lot can happen between now and then.

I see no reason why Nashville's citizens and/or city won't reach the 14k mark for next season, locking in the lease.

-t

GSC2k2*

Every indication is that Balsillie wants to put a team in Hamilton.

Where to begin?

He had a deal for Copps when he tried to buy the Penguins, and he has a deal for Copps now.

Well, firstly, he has no "deal for Copps".

The Canadian Competition bureau is now involved so he can get out of paying the Leafs and Sabres.

That would turn out to be a disastrous "win" for Balsillie, and I am sure he has seen what was done to Al Davis and would act accordingly.

He hasn't made any moves suggesting he'd be moving to Kitchener-Waterloo. So RIM bought some land along the 401. RIM isn't buying the Preds, JB is. If that land was for an arena, wouldn't JB's other company that he specifically set up for his NHL bid have bought that land? Think about it for a second, why would a little city like -W get a team anyway?

Fine points, these. Well said.

Hamilton is a good choice, it's very central. Copps Coliseum is a couple minutes off the 403. Hamilton has far more infrastructure to support a team, from media to transportation to hotels, etc...

While Copps is only a few minutes off the 403, Hamilton has no infrastructure to support a team. There are two hotels in the city, neither of which are suitable for a pro sports franchise IMO. Pro teams stay in top tier accommodations. Same does not exist in Hamilton. As far as transportation, downtown Hamilton is not designed to be very receptive to 5-8 thousand cars descending upon it at once. It is two one-way streets coming in and a second one-way street to get to Copps from one of them. Two ramps from the 403 that are extremely congested at rush hour without a team, plus 5-8 thousand more cars coming from wherever? That would be tough.

There is corporate support in the Greater Hamilton Area, economically Hamilton's annual GDP is nearly twice that of K-W's.

Clearly you do not know the area at all. There is very little corporate strength in Hamilton.

Copps is basically the skeleton of an NHL arena. There is empty space under the second deck for luxury boxes and the roof can even be raised to add more seats and boxes. The concourses are empty now, but could be filled with the amenities of a major league facility, that's what it was designed for.

It was designed for the amenities of a major league facility all right - twenty-five years ago. I often find it amusing that there is a phenomenon among many sports fans where time seems to stand still for many of them. People still have this impression that Copps was built yesterday, Winnipeg just lost its franchise, etc. It was commenced in 1983 and finished in 1985. Time has passed it by in every respect.

Here's what you should really think about, and why it makes sense to move the team to Copps:

New Jersey just built a new arena, it cost $377 million.

Actually, the team did not build it. They contributed $100 million. The government built it. I have not seen that number, BTW. I have seen only $300 million, but that is quibbling.

It has the same seating capacity as Copps.

At 18000+, it would be bigger.

Prudential Insurance paid $103.5 million for the 20 yr. naming rights.

I do not think the team got that either.

With Copps, JB can spend $150 million to renovate and get a 20 year lease and manage the facility, including naming rights.

Naming rights? I doubt that, really. Victor Copps was a legendary mayor and a revered figure in Hamilton. I highly doubt the city would allow that to go into the deal, although who knows?

Basically he can have a brand new top notch facility and naming rights for only $150 million.

sorry, but the $150 millin figure quoted was stated to be what was necessary to simply bring it up to NHL standards, hardly "top notch". It would be a dressed up 25 year old arena.

If he has to pay the Leafs and Sabres $50 million each, he's still getting an NHL arena close to his home for far less than New Jersey had to pay for theirs.

As noted above, NJ got their arena for $100 million. As well, the Devils do not also carry the financing costs for a $220 million purchase price for their team.

mr. Blase

Jun 6, 2007
Ontario
That would turn out to be a disastrous "win" for Balsillie, and I am sure he has seen what was done to Al Davis and would act accordingly.

Care to elaborate?

While Copps is only a few minutes off the 403, Hamilton has no infrastructure to support a team. There are two hotels in the city, neither of which are suitable for a pro sports franchise IMO. Pro teams stay in top tier accommodations. Same does not exist in Hamilton. As far as transportation, downtown Hamilton is not designed to be very receptive to 5-8 thousand cars descending upon it at once. It is two one-way streets coming in and a second one-way street to get to Copps from one of them. Two ramps from the 403 that are extremely congested at rush hour without a team, plus 5-8 thousand more cars coming from wherever? That would be tough.

Hard to believe you live in Hamilton. Many of the downtown streets are 3-5 lanes one-way, designed for the years when the steel plants employed 10's of thousands. There are rarely traffic jams in Hamilton. There are more than two hotels downtown, there are actually two within a block of Copps. Also, the Royal Connaught will be reopening as a Marriott Renaissance 5-star hotel in a couple years and a Hilton has been approved for Main and Bay (the old HMP location)

Clearly you do not know the area at all. There is very little corporate strength in Hamilton.
Like I said, Hamilton's GDP is far greater than that of K-W, plus there are many head offices along the QEW in Burlington and Oakville, all within 20 minutes of Hamilton. I'm sure they would buy seats and boxes.

Actually, the team did not build it. They contributed $100 million. The government built it. I have not seen that number, BTW. I have seen only $300 million, but that is quibbling.
True.

At 18000+, it would be bigger.
The official capacity of the Prudential centre is 17,625.

Naming rights? I doubt that, really. Victor Copps was a legendary mayor and a revered figure in Hamilton. I highly doubt the city would allow that to go into the deal, although who knows?

What? They'd rename it in a heartbeat.

timmy12

Jun 25, 2005
All these people talk about renovating Copps like it would be state of the art if it was renovated. It would be updated, but not state of the art. I remember in the mid 90s when 10s of millions of dollars were used to renovate Mellon Arena in Pittsburgh. The renovations helped for awhile, but after only a few years they still needed a new arena. Why? Because no amount of renovations can make an old arena state of the art. It would be foolish to dump a ton of cash into renovating an old arena like some of you are proposing.

Egil

Mar 6, 2002
Visit site
what is this K-W I keep hearing about? Kitchner/Waterloo?

Yes

mr Blase said:
No, with Toronto or Mississauga he'd have to go through the hell of funding and building a new arena, while with Hamilton, the city is prepared to practically give him an arena. Even though Copps needs upgrades it's still a sweet deal: the cost of the renovations is worth it because he will get all the revenues and naming rights.

He gets to spend $100-150 mil to not own an arena in an inferior location that would still be inferior to a new arena vs spending $200-$300 mil for own his arena, be able to control everything about it in a better location.

mr. Blase

Jun 6, 2007
Ontario
Why would he want to own the arena? It's better to lease it then the city of Hamilton is stuck with it 20 years down the line.

Hamilton is a better location than K-W, accessible by a larger population, K-W has the 401. Hamilton is served by the QEW, 403, 407, and GO transit. Hamilton is only 20 further from London than it is from K-W. Toronto is closer to Hamilton, as are its suburbs (via 407).

The complex that Copps is attached to is also an asset. A shopping centre, a Sheraton Hotel, 8000 underground parking spaces, 3 office towers, Hamilton Place, Hamilton Convention Centre, the Art Gallery of Hamilton, Public Library and the Market are all accessible without even stepping outside. JB would be running the Convention Centre and Hamilton Place as well as Copps.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad