What will the NHLPA yes-no vote percentages be?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NHLFanSince2020

What'd He Say?
Feb 22, 2003
Visit site
What will the NHLPA yes-no vote percentages be?

Even without knowing what the CBA is, just going based on what we've heard, take a guess as to the yes-no percentages that the players vote on the new CBA.

Last edited:

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Were they released to the public the last time around?

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
getnziggywidit said:
That would suck.
I want to know.

Oh well, what do you think it is going to be anyway?
I'd say around 80%.

NYRangers

Aug 11, 2004
Scugs said:
I voted 90-10, just because you will have a handful of idiots who think there is something better.

*Scott Walker* = :dunce:

Me too....

I hit 10-90 by accident though.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
90-10. Then that 90% will chip in for Bobby's $10M+ severance pay.

Though I would laugh my ass off if as a show of good faith the BOG elected to use their "war chest" to help the 'PA out in that matter.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
This will be around 70-30. Just enough to pass with a good percentage, and good enough to put a major split in the union.

Lanny MacDonald*

Depends on the question. I mean, Goodenow could very easily set this up to his advantage and make voting difficult. Consider the outcome if this is the question.

The NHL has presented a proposed Collective Bargaining Agreement as outlined in the information sessions earlier today, Based on this information do you believe that this system will not be a hinderence to future favorable contract negotiations and that the union should move forward with ratification?

This has the potential to be another Quebec referendum vote! :D

ti-vite

Jul 27, 2004
Can someone confirm that during the last ratification process (early 90s), the union turned down the document the first time ('no' vote intital), then a few days later after some tweeking, accepted? ;)

ej_pens

Mar 12, 2003
Visit site
The Iconoclast said:
Depends on the question. I mean, Goodenow could very easily set this up to his advantage and make voting difficult. Consider the outcome if this is the question.

This isn't a referendum. It's a vote on the proposal. The NHLPA Executive Committee will go over it and recommend (or not recommend) the CBA. Then the players will vote yes or no. There isn't going to be some confusing ballot question that will confuse people into voting wrong.

Lanny MacDonald*

ej_pens said:
This isn't a referendum. It's a vote on the proposal. The NHLPA Executive Committee will go over it and recommend (or not recommend) the CBA. Then the players will vote yes or no. There isn't going to be some confusing ballot question that will confuse people into voting wrong.

No kidding sherlock. Goodenow CAN say his piece before any vote and cloud the issue, as he does have last say. He could easily say something contrary to the executive that could test the resolve of those voting and test their loyalties. A guy that has been backed into a corner and looks to be on the outs will do just that.

Lanny MacDonald*

chiavsfan said:
I have this feeling that because of what we have been hearing, anything that Bobby has to say at this point would fall on deaf ears. Jut my feeling

I'm not discounting anything. Goodenow still has his loyalists and still has major points with the players. He is still able to point to what the players got over the past decade. And improvement in position over the last couple of months will be soemthing that he can point to as improvements and signs of weakening in ownership resolve. Don't under-estimate the manipulative abilities of Bob Goodenow, the power of groupthink and peer pressure, and the loyalty of hockey players. This is not over until the vote is positive. I've seen more than a few votes take place that I thought were slam dunks where a lame duck CEO managed to fire up the troops and change enough minds to stretch things out in his favor. This is still a very real possibility. Unless Goodenow is out of the picture completely, and not even at the vote, there is still a chance for him to impact this vote in a big way. I'll wait to order Center Ice when I know the vote is won.

ej_pens

Mar 12, 2003
Visit site
The Iconoclast said:
No kidding sherlock. Goodenow CAN say his piece before any vote and cloud the issue, as he does have last say.

You assume he will have any say. Hell, it's reported that he's been "AWOL" from negotiations for the past days/weeks. Do you really think the NHLPA executive committee is going to allow him to sabatoge their hard work getting this agreeement finished?

Goodenow isn't a moron. He knows the implications of what a 'no' vote would mean for his union and the players. He's certainly not going to ruin whatever rep he has left to kill this deal.

Lanny MacDonald*

ej_pens said:
Do you really think the NHLPA executive committee is going to allow him to sabatoge their hard work getting this agreeement finished?

The executive has no choice in the matter. Unless Goodenow has been fired he is still the president of the association and can address the membership any time he likes. He has that right, and anyone fighting for their professional livelihood would exercise that right. Godenow wll say his piece before this is all said and done. It just is not in his character to do otherwise. Goodenow has never been a guy to quit and slnk away into the dark before, it just doesn't make sense he would do so now.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
JWI19 said:
Manny Legace was on a local sports show this morning and he said it should pass without a problem but the guys will be *****ing.

That's how I see it. Some players won't like it but I don't any way that it gets voted down. If they reach a deal in "princple" and it gets voted down by the players then the NHL will fall beyond repair. The players know this and like it or not they will vote yes on the deal.

hubofhockey

Aug 14, 2003
I like Ike.
I believe it will pass by a 2-1 margin....and I don't believe the PA will reveal, or make public, the final tally.
Now, of that 66 percent that votes YES, I bet at least half really would prefer to vote NO. Which is another way of saying it will be unpopular/distasteful to 2/3 of the membership.
HOWEVER, I truly believe, as a whole--or at least as a majority--they realize there is no REASONABLE alternative. They gambled and lost. The leadership went deadline hunting, and then failed to realize in February that it had the elephant gun pressed up against the catch's forehead for a $45 million big-game prize.

hub

MojoJojo

Jan 31, 2003
Philadelphia
Visit site
I think it will be very close. The Owners are trying to give the players the very minimum necessary to get the CBA ratified by just over 50%. If they thought that 90% of the players would ratify the deal, they would lower their offer.

ColoradoHockeyFan

Feb 17, 2005
Denver area
I don't know by what percentage (and I doubt we'll ever know), but it will pass comfortably. We continue to see comment after comment like the following come out every day:

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/shownews.jsp?content=h070719A

In the meantime, players sit and wait anxiously for a deal to be finally announced. Tampa Bay Lightning star forward Brad Richards wants to get it over with and get back on the ice.

"That's the way I feel. I'm excited as hell," Richards said from Prince Edward Island. "For the right reasons, we need to get the game back on the ice as quickly as possible and try go grow it because we did take a big step backwards this year. Everyone I talk to just wants to get going again."

http://pittsburghlive.com/x/tribune-review/sports/penguinslive/s_351246.html

Orpik said he can't imagine the players voting against any deal at this point.

"Even guys who don't agree are going to vote yes because I think everyone just kind of wants it to be over," Orpik said. "It's to the point where they're so close there's no turning back. Everyone just wants to play."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad