What will Calder Cup MVP Johnsson's NHL season look like next year?

What's AJ's production next season?

• Total voters

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
I put 60-65 points because I am a hockey genius.

No.

I hoping Babs changes the dynamics of the 1st line PP and perhaps Marleau drops to the 3rd line LW from time to time.

If Johnsson can prove he's a better all round winger than Hyman then we'll see. He has to be a forechecker, puck recovery, and shutdown winger. Can he do all that?

supermann_98

May 8, 2002
Visit site
All depends on Babs imo. If Johnsson plays a role on the top 3 lines plus gets regular PP1 or PP2 duties he should be good for 45-50 points.

Personally I’d love to see him replace Hyman on Matthews LW but let’s be real, that would only happen over Bab’s dead body.

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
All depends on Babs imo. If Johnsson plays a role on the top 3 lines plus gets regular PP1 or PP2 duties he should be good for 45-50 points.

Personally I’d love to see him replace Hyman on Matthews LW but let’s be real, that would only happen over Bab’s dead body.
If Willy moves to C next year, I could very much see Hyman sliding over to the right side, and Johnsson moving up to that LW slot.

If Willy stays on the wing, then I expect Johnsson to replace JVR at 5v5.

Willy's position moving forward (and therefore Johnsson's place in the lineup) will depend more on Dubas than Babs, though - at least in my opinion.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
If Willy moves to C next year, I could very much see Hyman sliding over to the right side, and Johnsson moving up to that LW slot.

If Willy stays on the wing, then I expect Johnsson to replace JVR at 5v5.

Willy's position moving forward (and therefore Johnsson's place in the lineup) will depend more on Dubas than Babs, though - at least in my opinion.
IMO this is the most reasonable hope.
Johnsson cannot replace Hyman as the forechecker. His career would be shortened significantly if we expect him to do what Hyman does every game

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
IMO this is the most reasonable hope.
Johnsson cannot replace Hyman as the forechecker. His career would be shortened significantly if we expect him to do what Hyman does every game
If we are out of the Tavares/Carlson/whatever sweepstakes.
A UFA signing (reasonable dollars) like Hornqvist might be a viable option.
Johnsson...Matthews...Hornqvist
with Nylander moved to C with Hyman...Kappy/Brown

I like the idea of Johnsson with Matthews but Babs will need a Hyman type on the other side. Someone who can score 20 goals and work down low/cycle.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
If we are out of the Tavares/Carlson/whatever sweepstakes.
A UFA signing (reasonable dollars) like Hornqvist might be a viable option.
Johnsson...Matthews...Hornqvist
with Nylander moved to C with Hyman...Kappy/Brown

I like the idea of Johnsson with Matthews but Babs will need a Hyman type on the other side. Someone who can score 20 goals and work down low/cycle.
I like the hornqvist idea no matter what happens. Also shifting Hyman to the right side is a good thought as the few games he played there seemed to give his game a boost.
Just having 2 lines with heavy forechecker/cycle guys like hornqvist and Hyman would improve our team dynamics

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Connor Brown NHL stats

Year #1 .... 82 games 20 goals 16 assists 36 points
Year #2 ... 82 games 14 goals 14 assists 28 points

Connor Brown > Andreas Johnsson

Hyman -- Matthews -- Brown
Marleau -- Kadri -- Marner
Johnsson -- Nylander -- Kapanen

supermann_98

May 8, 2002
Visit site
Connor Brown NHL stats

I call shenanigans

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
Connor Brown NHL stats

They both are better than you suggest, but I give the edge to Johnsson ultimately.

Also a fair representation of Connor's abilities since he was demoted in his second year:

Year #1 .... most of the season with either Matthew's line or with Kadri.
Year #2 ... 1/2 season with Moore and Martin, 1/2 season playing all the defense for the 3rd line.

And comparisons in the AHL

Brown in the AHL

Year #1 .... 65 pts, 81 games
Year #2 ... 36 pts, 45 games

as you can see, very good, but no progression production-wise.

Johnsson

Year #1 .... 53 pts, 78 games
Year #2 ... 78 pts, 70 games, Calder Cup MVP

as you can see, massive progression production-wise. And the marlies kicked up a gear the moment he returned in the playoffs. He is a definite leader. Brown, while pretty good, and who quite decent in all other respects, not so much.

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
I put 60-65 points because I am a hockey genius.

No.

I hoping Babs changes the dynamics of the 1st line PP and perhaps Marleau drops to the 3rd line LW from time to time.

If Johnsson can prove he's a better all round winger than Hyman then we'll see. He has to be a forechecker, puck recovery, and shutdown winger. Can he do all that?

Why have him replace Hyman? Hyman, 4th on the team in even points this year, showed he plays even better on his natural wing. What is worth thinking about is Johnsson potentially replacing Nylander on that line as the left side skilled player, while Hyman slides over to the right and continues to improve at what he does best. meanwhile Nylander is moved to be the driver of his own line with perhaps the likes of Kapanen, Brown, Grundstrom and/or a speedy defensively responsible UFA pickup (Grabneresque) to make that line a major threat off the rush like NY's 3rd line was over the past 2 years before it was dismantled.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
I like Brown for sure, but actually I can see Johnsson usurping him on the depth chart, at least the potential.

Havoc

Jul 25, 2009
My hope is he becomes our version of Viktor Arvidsson.

They're about the same size and play similar. Arvidsson is a 60 point player now that hovers around 30 goals. Nobody saw that coming.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
15-20G ; 20-25A with 3rd/4th line roles. Probably some PK and 2nd PP unit time. How he fares on the PP will be an indicator if he sticks.

Battle Lin

Dec 18, 2015
some of you guys gotta chill, like we just saw this guy a month ago for the leafs, and i mean he played solid for his 1st small stretch of nhl games but i mean its not like he looked that good yet...the ahl is also a place where marincin can look like your 1 D some nights...i do hope he has a crazy summer and breaks out, but a super solid 30 point rookie year like brown would be amazing, and if your comparing the two i think brown defensive game is a lot better at this point

Pucker77

May 10, 2012
Minnesota
Im thinking that with decent linemates, regular playing time, and good powerplay minutes. He will finish with around 20 goals and 25 assists.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
some of you guys gotta chill, like we just saw this guy a month ago for the leafs, and i mean he played solid for his 1st small stretch of nhl games but i mean its not like he looked that good yet...the ahl is also a place where marincin can look like your 1 D some nights...i do hope he has a crazy summer and breaks out, but a super solid 30 point rookie year like brown would be amazing, and if your comparing the two i think brown defensive game is a lot better at this point
there's a difference between being realistic and being pessimistic. he had 24 points in only 16 AHL playoff games. yeah it's a tougher level, but only 6 more points in 66 more games would be a disappointment. he was arguably the best forward in the AHL, and there's every reason to be realistic but hopeful that he'll have a strong season.

ObscureAlien

May 1, 2016
I picked like 50 points for Auston in his rookie year and we all know how that turned out so lets hope for a similar result from my 36-40 prediction for Johnsson

TorontoTrades

Feb 4, 2012
Hyman - Matthews - Marner
Marleau - Nylander - Kapanen
Johnsson - Kadri - Brown
Leivo - ? - Martin

Based on guys with contracts and RFAs that's what I would like to see.

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
Total minutes and line mates, who knows?
Though a Johnsson/Nylander/Kapanen 3rd line does make me smile. I could see each of them topping 40 and 1 of them breaking out, most likely Willy.

garce

Mar 20, 2010
Too close to Ottawa and Montreal
He will start on the second pp unit and become a fixture, so smart,some of the plays in the Marlies run were works of art. Can’t wait to see him with the varsity when they have to worry about the top end picks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad