What will Calder Cup MVP Johnsson's NHL season look like next year?

What's AJ's production next season?

• Total voters

MR4

Oct 20, 2014
I'm predicting 50+ points, I think he has 60 point potential. Considering he had a tear of ~50 points in 33 games, and NHLe translation is .5 of AHL production, the math supports that potential.

What do you think his stat line is? What line does he play on?

I'm saying 50 with 2nd PP time as the net front guy, and a key PK player

Will like coming back to this thread in the future

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
Seems like most of the leafs are champions in some form except Andersen. Time to get him one.

Community

44 is Rielly good
Oct 30, 2010
The Darkest Timeline
Really depends how the offseason goes.

If we dont sign a center and Nylander moves to C, Johnsson will probably play in the top 6 (or at least on a scoring line) with good scoring linemates.

If we do sign a center, but no wingers then Brown/Kapanen/Johnsson fight for the 3rd line wings with the UFA center (Bozak most likely, not a recipe for offensive success).

If we sign a center and a winger, then Brown/Johnsson/Kapanen fighr over 1 3rd line spot and the other 2 are 4th liners.

Signings also affect poweplay time and which unit they play with. Also potential trades to open up places.

Morale of the story, ask again during (better yet, after) preseason. He has 60pt potential, but remember even in a perfect situation it is hard to put up 60pts in your rookie year. Also its typically only ppg potential players that put up 60pts in their first season and Johnssons most likely ceiling (you never know though!) is a 60pt 2 way player.

Same time last year everybody expected 50+ points from Kapanen along with a secure spot in the top 9.

Jozay

Jul 9, 2012
Toronto
Babcock will probably have him on the 4th line, so I say about 30 points with some pp and pk time

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
Can't see more than 40, he won't get much PP time and I expect he will be playing in the bottom 6.

MR4

Oct 20, 2014
Can't see more than 40, he won't get much PP time and I expect he will be playing in the bottom 6.
There's no reason to not expect him to get PP time.

Babcock played him on PP over Kapanen, and he looked great on the Matthews-Nylander unit. My guess for the PP next year is:

PP1
Matthews
Kadri-Marleau-Marner
Rielly

PP2
Johnsson
Kapanen-Leivo(if he's in)-Nylander
Gardiner

Reactions: stickty111

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015

Babcock played him on PP over Kapanen, and he looked great on the Matthews-Nylander unit. My guess for the PP next year is:

PP1
Matthews
Kadri-Marleau-Marner
Rielly

PP2
Johnsson
Gardiner
I feel like Babcock will go with Brown on the PP. Need to give him a proper look before his next contract.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
He’ll finish with more points than Kapanen (notnthst there’s any rivalry here, just that they’ll be in similar positions), he may start in the bottom six (though that’s far from certain) but doubt he finishes the season there.

He looks like a fully finished product, just waiting for a chance to become an impact player

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
Could be with Matthews, might be a 3rd liner. I doubt he will be put as low as the 4th line, and even if he is, he will quickly force himself up the lineup. I'm certain Almighty Johnsson will surpass a lot of the people here's expectations, which it seems are pretty low. I hope management sees this and ensures that he'll be reasonably priced capwise for the next few years.

MR4

Oct 20, 2014
I feel like Babcock will go with Brown on the PP. Need to give him a proper look before his next contract.
Lol. Brown doesn't have enough offensive skill to play PP and he was the worst regular other than Komarov on it. So it'd be another huge f*** up on line making for Babs

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017

PP1
Matthews
Kadri-Marleau-Marner
Rielly

PP2
Johnsson
Gardiner

The reason why to play Johnsson over Kapanen on the PP is that Johnsson is super shifty, so much harder for defenders to get a read on what he's going to do. Kapanen's talent is blowing past defensemen, so is more suited to ES and the PK where he and hopefully linemates who can keep up with him will create a lot of 2-1, 3-1 situations off the rush.

Rielly4

Dec 12, 2012
his speed hands and release is very impressive. If he can work on his ability to dig pucks out of the corner and win physical battles he can be an effective top 6 player.

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010
I think he can have a similar career to hornqvist. Make a living off being at the right place at the right time and scoring off the quick release.

I can see him scoring 20 goals in a season im the near future.

Reactions: 7even and SAMCRO44

mapleleafs34

Apr 7, 2011
He's a lock for the Leafs next season. Love this kid.
I'd say around 40 pts and he most definitely will be on the 2nd PP unit.

Reactions: SAMCRO44

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
The idea that he would put up 60 pts next season is rather absurd.

I've got him in around 40 pts.

Not sure what his top end will be (and of course, linemates will mattrer) but I have a hard time seeing him get much more than 50 in his best season.

But there's nothing wrong with that either.

He's already found money.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad