What was your opinion on the life of Terry Sawchuk?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
There are lots of stories I hear about Sawchuk and how he was a very very sad individual. The way he died by getting into a fight with a teammate. Which was very mysterious IMO. But I've seen interviews with guys who played with him and heard stories: For example Howe once said that for a guy who seemingly had everything he was a very sad person.

Marcel Pronovost who played with him on Detroit for many years and then Toronto said he was once in the dressing room and a young kid who had gotten hit with a puck at the game came in and he had a broken nose. Sawchuk apparently gave him his goalie sitck as a gift. But then turned to Marcel and told him not to tell anyone about it. The reason was according to Marcel, Sawchuk obnoxiuos because thats how he got rid of people around him, because he was self conscious.

Does anyone else know why Sawchuk was like this? Was he depressive? Did he have a hard life?

Bring Back Bucky

May 19, 2004
Canadas Ocean Playground
Big Phil said:
There are lots of stories I hear about Sawchuk and how he was a very very sad individual. The way he died by getting into a fight with a teammate. Which was very mysterious IMO. But I've seen interviews with guys who played with him and heard stories: For example Howe once said that for a guy who seemingly had everything he was a very sad person.

Marcel Pronovost who played with him on Detroit for many years and then Toronto said he was once in the dressing room and a young kid who had gotten hit with a puck at the game came in and he had a broken nose. Sawchuk apparently gave him his goalie sitck as a gift. But then turned to Marcel and told him not to tell anyone about it. The reason was according to Marcel, Sawchuk obnoxiuos because thats how he got rid of people around him, because he was self conscious.

Does anyone else know why Sawchuk was like this? Was he depressive? Did he have a hard life?

I remember reading that he got his goalie equipment because his older brother died and as such wouldn't be needing it anymore. I also think I've read that he had very very bad nerves.

jiggs 10

Dec 5, 2002
Hockeytown, ND
Visit site
I have the book, and after reading it am even more certain that Terry Sawchuk is the greatest goalie of all-time. He had to deal with one helluva lot more pressure than any modern goalie, like Patty Roy, whom is often compared to him. Not even close! Switch eras, and Sawchuk would have won 1,000 games! Put Patty in the little "pillow pads" and non-mask era of the 1950's and watch him run for cover! That is my standard for judging across eras: what would the modern player do in the old era? And, unfortunately, Pat Roy would not even survive in the pre-mask era, IMO.

Sawchuk invented the goalie crouch, still has the most ever shut-outs, played half his career without a mask against Bobby Hull and Andy Bathgate (who were known to shoot at goalie's heads), and until recently was the winningest goalie of all-time. Roy beat his record, but only after playing in more games in a much more goalie-friendly era.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad