What was your first car?

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
1992 Chevy Cavalier

My dad had that exact same car when I was in grade school, except it was this weird aquamarine color.

Your dad has good taste despite the difference in color. My machine was used when purchased but it was close to what Paul Newman owned in Slapshot. Purely coincidental and a different model (GTO-LeMans) but close enough.

slapshot-660.jpg

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
I'm pretty sure it was a Swinger. My family had the 4 door version that both Chyrsler and Dodge called Dart. Funny thing is what I remember moist about the two Dodge Darts that my parents owned was that they were considered the "small" car. My Dad was driving a 73' Caddillac Coupe DeVille and than and 83' Coupe. Today those "small cars" would be considered full size.

I don't think that's a Swinger. Those were the performance Dodge Darts IIRC. I remember a friend of mine who loved the old MOPAR cars going nuts about the whole "Swinger" thing for some reason. I think they were the ones with the 340 engines.

Flukeshot

Briere Activate!
Sponsor
Feb 19, 2004
Brampton, Ont
1996 Chevy Cavalier... such a typical first car. I got mine when it was about 12 years old but had less than 100,000 km on it as it was a granny mobile before.

My step dad bought it for me as a trade off for moving out to the boons that had no public transit and was 40 min away from my part time job.

It sucked but I loved it.

LickTheEnvelope

Time to Retool... again...
Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver
1985 Chevy Chevette that cost about $40.

It had what looked like bullet holes through most of the interior and the front two seats were falling through the bottom. There was a hole next to the driver seat and you could see the road under you a little as you drove.

I wish we had smartphones with cameras on em back then so I would have photos. Such a piece of junk.

Reactions: xxsciroccoxx

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
I was 17 back in 1993 and my first car was a 1989 Toyota Tercel....ahhh the memories back when gas up here was usually around 45.9c/L and Montreal was in the first year of gas price wars that sometimes saw the price drop as low as 29.9c/L.

New Jersey

(pacmanghost x) sad again
Sep 7, 2009
*intro to the sopranos*
twitter.com
1998 Explorer, specifically this one:

11jpsnn.jpg

It was a gas ***** and had some bad suspension parts, but it ran beautifully and I loved it as much as anyone else would love their first car.

It met it's untimely demise when some idiot blew through a on-ramp yield with no acceleration lane. :(

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
1998 Explorer, specifically this one:

11jpsnn.jpg

It was a gas ***** and had some bad suspension parts, but it ran beautifully and I loved it as much as anyone else would love their first car.

It met it's untimely demise when some idiot blew through a on-ramp yield with no acceleration lane. :(

Oooo...the venerable Ford Exploder! Did it have the OEM Firestone tires? :sarcasm:

New Jersey

Sep 7, 2009
*intro to the sopranos*
twitter.com
Oooo...the venerable Ford Exploder! Did it have the OEM Firestone tires? :sarcasm:

haha, the tires in the photo are later, safer Firestone Destination A/T's.

The spare under the rear end was indeed one of those notorious Wilderness A/T's that killed several owners. Had that replaced by moving the least worn Destination to the spare when I got a new set of tires, which unfortunately went to the junk yard with the rest of the car when practically brand new. I'm sure someone scavenged them and put them on their truck.

MoreMogilny

Cap'n
Jul 5, 2009
Oshawa
2005 Kia Rio. Red. Manual transmission.

I found it out back of a Honda dealership when I was shopping around. It had 225,000 KM on it.

Only paid 500 bucks. Drove it for 2 years, put 75,000KM on it then sold it for 900 bucks.

Solid first car. I enjoyed learning how to drive stick with it and it got me where I needed to go as a poor student.

New Jersey

Sep 7, 2009
*intro to the sopranos*
twitter.com
2005 Kia Rio. Red. Manual transmission.

I found it out back of a Honda dealership when I was shopping around. It had 225,000 KM on it.

Only paid 500 bucks. Drove it for 2 years, put 75,000KM on it then sold it for 900 bucks.

Solid first car. I enjoyed learning how to drive stick with it and it got me where I needed to go as a poor student.

and people say cars aren't an investment

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
1997 Pontiac Grand Am. Everything I honestly could have hoped for from a first car - cheap ($3.2k), easy to drive, fairly fun to drive, reliable, and it lasted twice as long as expected. It stuck with me for 7 years, including the entirety of my college days, which involved moving across the country to a state that car was most definitely not a good fit for...but it still gave me 4 years in Montana before the mountain passes started to become too much for it and the road salt effectively destroyed the undercarriage.

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
'87 Honda CRXsi bone stock, black.

i killed it until it only had three cylinders. Not fast, but really light and low. Probably just the memory but while i've certainly had better cars since, that one really cemented in me a love for hatches.

Bobby Orrtuzzo

Ya know
Jul 8, 2015
St. Louis
'96 Nissan Maxima

My dad used to be part owner of a junkyard. Guy passing through STL has his engine crap out on him, sells it to my dads work for 300 bucks. Car had ~220,000 miles on it. Luckily, my dads work happened to have a used engine for it that had ~185,000 miles on it sitting at his work. Him and my uncle, who's an independent mechanic, put it in and voila, 16 year old me had my first car that lasted another ~110,000 miles before finally going off to the great parking lot in the sky.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad