What was your first car?

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
1965 Chrysler 300

D7rtb7vp_fabf432faf4c23e07d40287b8727af09_medium.jpg

No, it was not new and it was not in this good of shape.

Sweet whip, though.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
Already mentioned in another thead

l.png

85 Volkswagen Rabbit

This is by far the biggest POS car I have ever own. People are often fond of their first cars. Not me. I have almost zero good memories of this stupid thing.

It had so many electrical problems. Wouldn't start 5 times out of 10. Most of the time when it did start, the wipers/radio/dome light, etc. didn't work. It had a little light to tell you when to shift, but it pretty much just stayed on nonstop unless you got into into 4th gear.

It burned oil like crazy, blue and black smoke all the time. People thought it was a diesel. I'm pretty sure the head was cracked. It ran on seafoam about half the time. The body panels were already starting to rust when I bought it. At the time I didn't care too much because most cars rusted, but even back then an 8-year-old car should not have see-through rust holes.

The steering rack was all messed up, I don't know what happened but if you wanted to make a right you had to turn the wheel like 2-3 times to the right before you started moving that way. The left was fine though. Probably had a bad joint or something, I don't know. The glove box had a lock on it, but even locked it would still just pop open if you hit a pothole or railroad tracks. And it got water inside when it rained because the gaskets weren't big enough or something to fill the gaps in between the doors and body panels. And the A/C, when it worked would only blow lukewarm air and wouldn't even give you that much during the summer. Anything over about 70 degrees F and the compressor/lines would freeze up. If you turned on the AC while driving the car would damn near stall out on you unless you going at least the top half of second gear.

I finally gave up on the POS. Couldn't find anybody to buy it so it sat around in my mom and dad's backyard for a couple years. Eventually my dad found somebody to just haul it off and dump it in the woods.

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
mh3ry0.jpg

2000 Chevy S10 stepside. That little truck was a piiiiiiiieeeeeece, and I still miss it :laugh:, never got stuck, and always started, even with all the other problems, many nights tinkering.

The pic is of my first truck, and my current. Had one other dodge in between, went to play pool one day and the teenager I sold my S10 to pulled up and parked beside me, had to take a pic lol.

Dooney

Jan 12, 2005
On the move
77 Honda Civic Cvcc my little red bomb. Got that baby over 100 the freeway when late for school/hospital shift at 7am. I was 16 who knew what I was thinking then. That was so very long ago now that I'm mid 50's and now hate hate to drive anywhere anymore

sigma six

Doesn't need stick tape
Aug 2, 2005
Cascadia
77 Vdub Scirocco.

Had it's share of electrical problems like Robo's wabbit. I don't think Volkswagen got a proper handle on that until the late nineties.

But man that car had personality. As quick to 80mph as cars with 3x the displacement, then it would fall right on it's face due to gearing. (four speed manual, lol)
I mean, it was like 1900 pounds and I swapped and '85 2.0 motor into it. Super fun for a high school beater.

Reactions: xxsciroccoxx

Clode

Aug 2, 2012
Derry, NH
A 1992 Toyota Celica GT Hatchback. Spent almost every single cent of the money I got for graduating high school buing it and it was a massive ****bucket lol but it was my first car so I loved it unconditionally

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
1995 Chevy Corsica with the v6.

Ran that car to 240,000 miles and it was still running when I sold it. AC repairs needed were higher than the value of the car at that point :dunce:

Babe Ruth

Don't leave me hangin' on the telephone..
Feb 2, 2016
A beat up Duster ! :blush:

1971-Plymouth-Duster-340-FY1-Wrecking-Yard-Crush1.jpg

Nice..
Had a friend in high school, his first ride was an old Gold Duster. It was cool, had the little tornado logo.

Do you remember Al Bundy basically drove the same car.. assume it was a Demon, not a Duster tho, cuz his family always belittled his beat-up, timeless 'Dodge'.

378669c537370a7ab1300fef39f70fd5.jpg

kingsholygrail

Fastest Series Loss 0-1
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
1987 Chevy Nova.

So this with silver trim instead of black.
85_Chevy_Nova.jpg

So many adventures in that car. It frequently stalled while idling, so I got really good at restarting it before the light would change. Last car I was able to really work inside of too. I did a lot of the maintenance on it including replacing a thermostat and water pump. Poor thing. I wouldn't even try that with cars now. They're too crammed.

Baby Punisher

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2012
Staten Island, NY
Nice..
Had a friend in high school, his first ride was an old Gold Duster. It was cool, had the little tornado logo.

Do you remember Al Bundy basically drove the same car.. assume it was a Demon, not a Duster tho, cuz his family always belittled his beat-up, timeless 'Dodge'.

378669c537370a7ab1300fef39f70fd5.jpg

I'm pretty sure it was a Swinger. My family had the 4 door version that both Chyrsler and Dodge called Dart. Funny thing is what I remember moist about the two Dodge Darts that my parents owned was that they were considered the "small" car. My Dad was driving a 73' Caddillac Coupe DeVille and than and 83' Coupe. Today those "small cars" would be considered full size.

Baby Punisher

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2012
Staten Island, NY
1987 Chevy Nova.

So this with silver trim instead of black.
85_Chevy_Nova.jpg

So many adventures in that car. It frequently stalled while idling, so I got really good at restarting it before the light would change. Last car I was able to really work inside of too. I did a lot of the maintenance on it including replacing a thermostat and water pump. Poor thing. I wouldn't even try that with cars now. They're too crammed.

My friend had that car with the exact same issues.

Oberyn

Prince of Dorne
Mar 27, 2011
2002 Oldsmobile Intrigue. The only issue with it was that whenever i had the heat running for an extended period of time, there would be a thumping noise under the hood. Took it to a couple mechanics and for some reason none of them could figure it out. Other than that, it was an awesome first car.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
1983, two door, government gray Chevy Celebrity. I don't think I even still have a picture. This is a fair approximation:

82-coupe.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad