What was with Stephan Lebeau?

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
I thought his defensive game was absolutely non-existent.

When Pat Burns coached the club, Lebeau was heavily insulated, essentially only playing on the power play and the occasional even strength shift. You would think this kind of usage would make him want to work on his defensive play in order to grow his role, but Lebeau seemed totally disinterested in the game when the puck wasn't on his stick.

He was also incredibly slow. I'm surprised he was able to post an 80-point season in the NHL, because that required him to be more than a power play scorer and he was undoubtably at his best when his team was on the PP and he was set up and mostly stationary in the other teams end because his skating was really poor and he was very soft.
Came here to say this and he was kind of the Quebec version of Rob Brown?

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Lebeau could have stayed in the NHL when he left but in a time when the average salary was like $600k he probably made close to that playing low-contact hockey in beautiful Switzerland with his brother.

This was a pretty common thing in the late 80s/early 90s when salaries in Italy/Switzerland were much closer to NHL wages and guys like Ruotsalainen/Nilsson/Kurri bolted for the easier lifestyle and less physical games. That basically ended post-1995 CBA when wages exploded and it became a bad financial decision and Lebeau was maybe the last of his breed, along with Robert Reichel.

buffalowing88

Aug 11, 2008
Charlotte, NC
Peter Worrell was the worst skater in NHL history.
I had the pleasure of watching him in the AHL for the Checkers and his warmup laps always made me think he'd lost an edge on his skates.

With that said, he did beat the crap out of plenty of guys trying to get a dress rehearsal in the NHL at the same time.

Reactions: Boxscore

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
I had the pleasure of watching him in the AHL for the Checkers and his warmup laps always made me think he'd lost an edge on his skates.

With that said, he did beat the crap out of plenty of guys trying to get a dress rehearsal in the NHL at the same time.
Worrell was a high-end pugilist for sure. Big, mean, and feared, just clumsy. But a very good enforcer nonetheless.

ecemleafs

Jan 4, 2009
New York
was browsing hockey stuff and came across the habs 92-93 season roster. this guy had a big year that year and ive never heard of him. out of the league at 27 years old. very strange career arch. what were the habs lines in 92-93 when they had everyone fit? they seem to have ridiculous center depth even if not all of their centers played center that year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad