What was scaring the scouts away from Barker early in the year?

Status
Not open for further replies.

db23

Barker had a great season as a 16 year old in the WHL, he was big, physical and obviously had a lot of offensive talent. As a 16 year old with Medicine Hat, he had a better season (statistically at least) than Jay Bouwmeester a few years earlier. But in the preseason ratings he wasn't considered by Central Scouting as the top WHL prospect. At mid season, despite a point a game pace as a 17 year old D man in the WHL, he was rated as the 5th best North American prospect, and the 3rd best WHL prospect behind Kyle Chipchura and Andrew Ladd. This despite the fact that the two forwards had less points than Barker at the time. Even in the final rankings, Barker was behind Andrew Ladd and lost out to him as the top WHL Pro Prospect.

I'm just wondering what it was that kept the scouts from being as enthusiastic about Barker as his size and numbers would seem to indicate they should have been?

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
Kirk Pedersen said:
So, uh, like Bouwmeester?
Haven't seen enough of either at the Junior level but wasn't Jay Bo touted because of his insane hockey sense. I've heard Barker's questioned alot.

Hossa

Feb 27, 2002
Abroad
Visit site
Kirk Pedersen said:
So, uh, like Bouwmeester?

But Bouwmeester doesn't need to be physical because like Lidstrom, he thinks the game so damn well. Bouwmeester's defensvie game is air tight because of that. Barker on the other hand lacks that amazing mental superiority, and could stand to play more physically because in his own zone, he's not quite up to snuff yet.

Ensane

EL GUAPO
Mar 2, 2002
Moskau said:
Haven't seen enough of either at the Junior level but wasn't Jay Bo touted because of his insane hockey sense. I've heard Barker's questioned alot.
Jay Bo's stock was so high because he was/is a great skater; compared to Scott Niedermayer.

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
Ensane said:
Jay Bo's stock was so high because he was/is a great skater; compared to Scott Niedermayer.
Correct, but am I right in saying Jay Bo is the smarter Hockey Player?

Postman

Feb 27, 2002
Moskau said:
Correct, but am I right in saying Jay Bo is the smarter Hockey Player?

Yes, read Hossa's post above.

That's why Bouwmeester isn't really dogged for not being physical, because he just doesn't have to be.

Free Edler

Enjoy retirement, boys.
Feb 27, 2002
Surrey, BC
Hossa said:
But Bouwmeester doesn't need to be physical because like Lidstrom, he thinks the game so damn well. Bouwmeester's defensvie game is air tight because of that. Barker on the other hand lacks that amazing mental superiority, and could stand to play more physically because in his own zone, he's not quite up to snuff yet.
Where did I mention anything about hockey sense?

The description of Barker matched up with that of Bouwmeester, big and doesn't play with an edge.

X-SHARKIE

Barker is no softy by any measures. He doesn't have that nasty edge or mean streak you often like, but no one in this draft defensively played his man one one one better then Barker from what i've seen. His positioning and use of his body is elite. Just because he doesn't bruise a player, means he's soft. He has grit.

I think the biggest thing was that he coasted on shifts and often didn't go all out on plays. Witch worried scouts untill they took a long look at his stats and realized he was playing twice as much as most defensman at his age.

I think Barker well surprise many with how good of a career he has in the NHL and I think he's a #1 defensman.

pei fan

Jan 3, 2004
Getting back to the original post ,it's interesting that even though the scouting
reports were always ranking him down most of the posters on this board said
he would go 3rd or at least 4th.Those scouting reports aren't always reliable.

db23

I saw some pictures of the top picks at the draft in their civvies, Barker doesn't look all that "physical", although appearances can be deceiving. On the other hand, Andrew Ladd looks like he went to the Barry Bonds body building school. :innocent:

waiverdraft33

Jul 3, 2002
I thought you were a "we're not selling jeans here" stats guy? Or are you auditioning to be the next Pierre "He looks like a refugee!" McGuire?

db23 > I saw some pictures of the top picks at the draft in their civvies, Barker doesn't look all that "physical", although appearances can be deceiving. On the other hand, Andrew Ladd looks like he went to the Barry Bonds body building school.

Mizral

Sep 20, 2002
Earth, MW
Visit site
Hossa said:

All this talk about how Bouwmeester was so much better than anyone else, and that Barker cannot compare - excuse me, but I really do not see it. I thought they were about even steven if you had to ask me who had the better junior career. Before you throw the numbers at me, Barker I think being on a Memorial Cup Playoff team and, I thought at least, nearly creating a huge comeback against the Olympique (in the last 10 minutes of that game, I think Barker had about 7 or 8 shots on net, plus a point [can't remember if it was a goal or an assist]).

Bouwmeester was fantastic too, but I do not think that Bouwmeester for sure was the better junior, nor do I think for sure he will be the better pro.

db23

I agree. Barker still has another year to play in Medicine Hat as well to determine who was the better junior. The Tigers never made the playoffs in all the years Boumeester was there, despite some great talent like Joffrey Lupul, Ryan Hollweg, Chris St. Jacques and all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad