What version of Pond Hockey beats the Bruins ?

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
The Bruins are a better playoff hockey team. Physical up and down the Lineup, with a top line that will score enough to win. I think they could easily grind the Leafs into submission .... if the Leafs try to play mistake free disciplined hockey.

The Leafs need to open it up.
Pond hockey for 3 full periods.

So what does Pond hockey look like ?

Some Kapanen early zone exits ?
Trade some odd man rushes ?

I think the Pond hockey has to start at puck drop. Make the Bruins tired in the second period. Run all 4 lines all games long. Skate skate skate. If the game slows down that favors the Bruins. We can’t play their game.

Mayhem. For 60 minutes.

Thoughts ?

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
The Bruins are a better playoff hockey team. Physical up and down the Lineup, with a top line that will score enough to win. I think they could easily grind the Leafs into submission .... if the Leafs try to play mistake free disciplined hockey.

The Leafs need to open it up.
Pond hockey for 3 full periods.

So what does Pond hockey look like ?

Some Kapanen early zone exits ?
Trade some odd man rushes ?

I think the Pond hockey has to start at puck drop. Make the Bruins tired in the second period. Run all 4 lines all games long. Skate skate skate. If the game slows down that favors the Bruins. We can’t play their game.

Mayhem. For 60 minutes.

Thoughts ?

I think we just have to open it up as much as possible. It's got to be relentless attack attack attack using our speed to keep them on their heels and stop them from establishing their pace. They have been forcing us to play their game and that's their element. Our greatest success including against Boston in regular season is when we go toe to toe exchanging chances in a lot of cases. Boston seems to stumble a lot playing fire wagon hockey so it may be a good idea to do that.

If we try to play their game... It's actually worse than exchanging chances. They start to establish solid zone time in our end and manage to find weakness' in our D often getting shots away from in the house.

HamiltonNHL

Jan 4, 2012
If we try to play their game... It's actually worse than exchanging chances. They start to establish solid zone time in our end and manage to find weakness' in our D often getting shots away from in the house.

In pond hockey, the matchup will be our fast D vs their slow D.
I think we win that battle. 3/4 times.

HamiltonNHL

Jan 4, 2012
In pond hockey, certain players are excluded.

First off the list is Uncle Leo.
He can get back in the lineup in the next series.

Leo is not a mayhem player.

Essentially the slower players will have to wait til the next series.

HamiltonNHL

Jan 4, 2012
I think the strategy is this: Pond Hockey 60 minutes + no penalties. You trade chances in pond hockey, you dont take penalties. Ever.

MR4

Oct 20, 2014
Bruins aren't even really that physical, nor is that the game we have to play. Just play at 100% effort and try to win every puck battle you can

And not really pond hockey but yes get our speed game going

HamiltonNHL

Jan 4, 2012
And not really pond hockey but yes get our speed game going
How do they differ ?

I think the Bruins win the puck battle game.
They are stronger and grittier and setup to out battle us.
They certainly did in the first 2 games.

Kapanen's 2 breakaways shows us how to exploit their slower D.

Who's better at "trading odd man rushes" hockey, Andersen or Rask ? Hard to say. Rask looked bad on Marleau's goal.

HamiltonNHL

Jan 4, 2012
61FBDD0C-F584-4456-A5BF-5BA028012A68.jpeg

Our recipe.

djdev

Dec 26, 2015
costa rica
hockey teams with 0 structure dont win the cup. playing a speed game WITH structure is how you win. pond hockey is how we lose this series, pond hockey is when our forwards fly the zone early and our defense starts firing 30 foot stretch passes. we have seen how that story ends.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
I know what you mean but I think the mistake they made was trying to beat the Bruins at their own game.
They're not solid enough at all defensively to open it right up

Mugzy97

#StandWitness
Mar 3, 2015
Halifax, NS
Nah, this is a good thought and good enough for a thread. "Playoff" hockey favours the Bruins. Run and gun favours the Leafs. Don't get so uptight. :)
I'm not uptight, I just thought this thread was talking about the game plan, and I thought the series talk: Boston vs Toronto thread was a place to discuss the games.

HamiltonNHL

Jan 4, 2012
Gardiner stretch passes all game long please.
Don't play disciplined hockey until we are down a few.
Run and Gun ... all game 60 minutes, lead or no lead. Trade odd man rushes, hope Freddy holds up.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Run and Gun ... all game 60 minutes, lead or no lead. Trade odd man rushes, hope Freddy holds up.
:facepalm: unless you forgot to add this :sarcasm:?

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
If we try to play "Babcock disciplined hockey" .... Boston is better at that game.

The faster the game, the more likely we win.
Our Leafs can play a faster, run and gun game with also paying some attention to their defensive roles. There is no need to resort to trading odd man rushes that may, or may not, expose Andersen!

Andersen breaks before Rask IMHO, if we simply exchange odd man rushes all game!

We can take chances offensively, and get back defensively, using our speed.

Leaf4Life

Feb 8, 2010

If we just run and gun and allow the Bergeron line to trade chances all game we will likely lose. Each guy on that line has 30+ goals.

Hoping Freddy holds up just isn't a good strategy. Sorry.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad