What type of game do you rather watch? (skilled/unmotivated vs. gritty/motivated)

Which game do you rather watch?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
You turn your TV on, and there's two hockey games (random regular season games) to choose between:

Game A: This game is a skilled style, passing is precise and a couple of players will show off a couple of nice moves. But overall the game feels flat, as if players are just skating around collecting their paychecks. Yet, the chances of seeing a nice goal or two are pretty good.

Game B: This game is a gritty style. The passing is inconsistant and the chances of seeing a highlight reel goal are slim to none. But on the other hand, the players are treating it like a playoff game. There's a lot of battles for loose pucks and emotions are running high.

In the beginning, you're zapping back and fourth between the channels. Then you make up your mind. Which game do you stick to?

Last edited:

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
A.

There a chance that that game develops into something more entertaining later if someone is trying to come from behind to win or whatever. With B there is no hope of that game becoming entertaining, just an ugly slog.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Motivated hockey is the 1st round of the playoffs.

Those teams that aren't are generally pretty swiftly swept aside.

I like both skilled and motivated play, which is what you can get in the post-season, but given a choice between one or the other, I prefer to see guys busting their asses out there.

Reactions: wintersej

blundluntman

Jul 30, 2016
Unmotivated hockey is unwatchable imo. Even if the player's skilled, if they're not trying it's just not entertaining. I'll take gritty.

37Bergenov14

Jul 14, 2016
A.

There a chance that that game develops into something more entertaining later if someone is trying to come from behind to win or whatever. With B there is no hope of that game becoming entertaining, just an ugly slog.
But under the same premise, it's also possible that a team in scenario B come out with renewed focus any period and begins sending crisp passes for beauty goals. I've seen plenty of initial slogs become pretty goal clinics later in the game.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
But under the same premise, it's also possible that a team in scenario B come out with renewed focus any period and begins sending crisp passes for beauty goals. I've seen plenty of initial slogs become pretty goal clinics later in the game.
I can't watch AHL/NCAA/Junior games. I just can't. The passing is so slow and sloppy. Everything basically hinges on some random bounce or individual effort. That is not at all compelling for me. No matter how hard they're trying. I've only been passively following the NHL when the Wings hit rock bottom. The play was too ugly, just made me mad. They are slowly kind of coming out of it and I'm paying more attention again.

37Bergenov14

Jul 14, 2016
I
I can't watch AHL/NCAA/Junior games. I just can't. The passing is so slow and sloppy. Everything basically hinges on some random bounce or individual effort. That is not at all compelling for me. No matter how hard they're trying.
I THink it's wildy off target to assume scenario B means ahl/ncaa/junior level quality. There are other reasons things could be sloppy (most notably, Both teams showing a very good forechecking game that forces rushed decisions).

But hey, these are just opinions so you do you.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
I

I THink it's wildy off target to assume scenario B means ahl/ncaa/junior level quality. There are other reasons things could be sloppy (most notably, Both teams showing a very good forechecking game that forces rushed decisions).

But hey, these are just opinions so you do you.
If the team is good enough, no amount of forechecking should really matter.

37Bergenov14

Jul 14, 2016
If the team is good enough, no amount of forechecking should really matter.
I'm sorry but that makes no sense to me, as that disregards how good the other team' forechecking may be in that same game. If you have two elite teams, with elite forechecking in the given game, there's a very good chance it's gonna be a slog.

WillardJFredricks

May 7, 2004
You turn your TV on, and there's two hockey games (random regular season games) to choose between:

Game A: This game is a skilled style, passing is precise and a couple of players will show off a couple of nice moves. But overall the game feels flat, as if players are just skating around collecting their paychecks. Yet, the chances of seeing a nice goal or two are pretty good.

Game B: This game is a gritty style. The passing is inconsistant and the chances of seeing a highlight reel goal are slim to none. But on the other hand, the players are treating it like a playoff game. There's a lot of battles for loose pucks and emotions are running high.

In the beginning, you're zapping back and fourth between the channels. Then you make up your mind. Which game do you stick to?
Game B, for sure. Game A describes perfectly the NHL the past several years. Highly skilled but no intensity whatsoever. So dull to watch.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
I'm sorry but that makes no sense to me, as that disregards how good the other team' forechecking may be in that same game. If you have two elite teams, with elite forechecking in the given game, there's a very good chance it's gonna be a slog.
That's fine that it doesn't make sense to you. When the Lidstrom-led Wings were on point, the opposing forecheck didn't really matter. The puck moves faster than any forechecker. Watching those puck possession teams while Lidstrom was out there was, to me, the height of entertaining hockey. Even if they didn't look like they were working all that hard.

Painful Quandary

Mar 22, 2015
California
Game A sounds like a Canada vs Latvia IIHF Worlds qualifying round. Lots of talent, but the highly skilled players on Team Canada are going at 80% tops. The only reason I watch a game like that is for the chance of an upset, not to see a highlight reel goal.

Game B sounds like an AHL game between two rivals. The energy and physicality of such a matchup more than makes up for the lack of skill. I understand, and appreciate, that the NHL is trying to protect its stars, but I miss the physicality of even 5 years ago.

psycat

Oct 25, 2016
No brainer for me I rather watch my local team than any NHL-game(I prefer emotions over skill), that said my local team of the last years has played like game A but without many particulary skilled moments, worst of both worlds.

Fear

Nov 17, 2014
I'm not sure I've ever seen an NHL game that looked unmotivated. Individual players, occasionally, but never a whole line or team

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
I'm not sure I've ever seen an NHL game that looked unmotivated. Individual players, occasionally, but never a whole line or team

It sounds like you didn't watch Anaheim much in recent years :laugh::cry:

Last edited:

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
B without a doubt. That’s why playoff hockey is way better.

Also, a lot more people are gonna get hyped up for a rivalry game like Battle of Alberta than a McDavid vs Matthews matchup.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad