What to do after our 2nd loss?

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Wrong.
A good team is beating another good team. Sometimes a good team beats another good team by a good margin.

Not a big difference.

No need to be so negative that you make stuff up

Outscored 12-4.

Outplayed. Outshot. Outchanced.

Overwhelmed and rattled.

Who's making up stuff? Me? Or people pretending this has been a series?

Reactions: FlareKnight

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
There are no plugs in Boston's top 6. Let's do the same. Load up the first two lines, because spreading the wealth has failed miserably
This is the detriment to never mixing lines up during the season.

Our players have no familiarity with eachother. Last night was the first night EVER that Matthews played a full game without Hyman.

Reactions: great

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
While many are pining for Tavares, this series goes to show you how much the Leafs back end needs work

Rielly- Better as a #2 right now
Gardiner- Suited for a 3-4 role
Hainsey- Is playing top pairing but should be 5-6
Dermott- High upside but a 3 at best right now
Zaitsev- Flashes of a steady 3-4 but playing below average so 5-6
Polak-Shouldn't be an option on a contender

So that’s one top pair guy, two second pair and three other guys that may be suited to be on the bottom pair. The Leafs need another top pair guy to succeed plain and simple.

sure they do, but it's pretty obvious they can't get that player after 2 years of trying. it's not happening or they would have done it.

you have to take the elite talent where you find it.

pucky

Jan 11, 2011
chips fall where they may. To that end:

Marleau Matthews Marner (keep them away from Bergeron's line and pray for magic)
Johnsson Nylander Kapanen (going 3rd line vs 3rd line can our speed produce results?)
Hyman Moore/Pleks Brown (can anyone stop Boston's #1 line? Hold them to 3? M vs P, I don't know :help:)
JVR Bozak Leivo (limited minutes but on paper a definite skills upgrade over Boston's 4th)

Rielly Dermott (Hainsey can't handle the load)
Gardiner Carrick (transition and skating over size)
Hainsey Zaitsev (limited minutes and pk)

Andersen (he's your #1 or he isn't going to be here much longer)

Fingers crossed, hoping for better results on Tuesday, regardless of the line-up.
I come in peace. :)

I think those lines are interesting and would be intriguing to see but I doubt Babcock would ever put that 2nd line against the Bruins.

I would suggest a minor change:
Marleau Matthews Marner
Hyman Nylander Kapanen
Johnsson Moore/Pleks Brown
JVR Bozak Leivo

I prefer your line combinations but I think Babcock wouldn't put out that 2nd line of speed, although it would be interesting to see if they could elude Boston's physicality (but, I dunno about that). It might even be better to have someone like Hyman who will go into the corners and be the mucker for that line.

WestCoastLeafs

I beleaf
Jun 10, 2013
I'm hoping that Nylander stays at centre and Leivo comes in for Leo. Don't think the Leivo part happens, believe he was the only guy on the roster not to get in for a tune-up game at the end of the season :cry: Martin/Moore are wastes of a lineup spot, but considering Moore is the most similar type palyer to Leo, he probably goes in if Leo is hurt :(

The big question is whether to bring in Carrick. Zaitsev really needs to be pushed down to the third pair, but Carrick has been hit and miss when he gets back into the lineup after a long break. So do you take a chance on putting Gardiner/Carrick toegether and hoping they can find what they had last year? Desperate times...

Jeypic

Sep 12, 2015
The guy is trying. Is he effective - I don't know. Doesn't look like it. But he's trying. He cares.

This is why Babcock puts him up there.

I don't get why everyone is criticising Babcock for the decision to use Leo. It's all he has. His hands are tied. What's he gonna do, put Marner and Nylander up against Boston's biggest guys? lol. That's a laugher. Grit has to be matched with grit - and grit is something the Leafs have none of besides Leo and Kadri.

The fact that Leo is the ONLY player on this team that Babcock can use to counteract the Bruins physicality is the proof right there that this team is just not on any level ready to compete in this series. There is nobody on the roster capable of fighting back physically. Not even close. And that is why this will very likely be a 4-game exit. See it for what it is.
Roman polack is gritty too. Leo is not the only player we can counteract the bruins physicality with.. we have Matt Martin too. They’re about equal offensively at this point. And with Andreas Johnsson in the lineup for kadri.. we have another guy who can go on the pk instead of Leo. Or if we want more offense.. we have leivo, who can hold his own physically too.

We need Matthews to start producing. Him and nylander have looked off their game.. and when your best players aren’t doing their job in the playoffs.. it’s tough to win.

That said.. I think we were the better team in those last two periods. We at least played close. The early lead is what’s killing us.

56 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
What should be done:

Matchup line: Hyman-Marleau-Brown
1st line: JVR-Matthews-Marner
Sheltered OZ use: Johnsson-Nyl-Kap
4th: Leivo-Bozak-Martin

What Babcock will do: Completely ****ing opposite
This actually looks pretty damn good.

56 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
I remember when I played high school football. One game we were losing by a large margin at half. Everyone wanted to quit, even the coach. I slapped the coach and told him we were going to win, and I took over the team. I scored four touchdowns that half and we won the game. Someone on the Leafs need to step up like I did.
Was this at Polk High?:sarcasm:

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
I remember when I played high school football. One game we were losing by a large margin at half. Everyone wanted to quit, even the coach. I slapped the coach and told him we were going to win, and I took over the team. I scored four touchdowns that half and we won the game. Someone on the Leafs need to step up like I did.

And that coach's name? Bill Belichik.

great

Apr 14, 2018
I'm hoping that Nylander stays at centre and Leivo comes in for Leo. Don't think the Leivo part happens, believe he was the only guy on the roster not to get in for a tune-up game at the end of the season :cry: Martin/Moore are wastes of a lineup spot, but considering Moore is the most similar type palyer to Leo, he probably goes in if Leo is hurt :(

The big question is whether to bring in Carrick. Zaitsev really needs to be pushed down to the third pair, but Carrick has been hit and miss when he gets back into the lineup after a long break. So do you take a chance on putting Gardiner/Carrick toegether and hoping they can find what they had last year? Desperate times...
I agree with this. I think Hainsey needs to rest, bring Carrick in. Not using Leivo isn’t a good idea, now is a great time for him. But again I don’t know what the coaches will do.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
They arent winning 4 of the next 5.

You've been in denial for months about this team's chances in the 1st round.

I am going to give them a chance to see how they do at home. I am not going to say they are going to win, it's hard to see them do so RIGHT NOW, but I don't want to completely write them off. I can't sit here and say this is going 7, but I want to see how they do at home first.

Dzonna

Mar 28, 2017
Keep nylander and Marner together, replace Plek with Moore, think about getting carrick in there (possibly if we lose game 3 for game 4) at the expensive of zaitzev, and most importantly, never give up.

great

Apr 14, 2018
For some reason, I really want to see
Johnsson-Nylander- Kapanen line, I just want them to go for it and not be scared.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rob Brown

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
They arent winning 4 of the next 5.

You've been in denial for months about this team's chances in the 1st round.

I can't tell the future and neither can you.

In what way do you think I've been in denial? Try not to make a fool of yourself now, you're the guy who just the other day accused me of being one of the people who said that Boston "can't handle our speed" when not only did I never say any such thing, I was telling people who did say so that they were nuts. If you can't keep straight who's saying what then you should probably just keep quiet.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
I can't tell the future and neither can you.

In what way do you think I've been in denial? Try not to make a fool of yourself now, you're the guy who just the other day accused me of being one of the people who said that Boston "can't handle our speed" when not only did I never say any such thing, I was telling people who did say so that they were nuts. If you can't keep straight who's saying what then you should probably just keep quiet.

Ive been saying for months that the Leafs dont matchup well at all against Boston, and that they wont win this series.

Youve taken exception to me saying it almost everytime. You reply, without fail, every single time lol.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Ive been saying for months that the Leafs dont matchup well at all against Boston, and that they wont win this series.

Youve taken exception to me saying it almost everytime. You reply, without fail, every single time lol.

What do you mean by "take exception"? If you would have said Boston is favoured to win the series, I would have agreed. If you claim to be able to see the future, I would have been skeptical. :)

LeafingTheWay

May 31, 2014
What should be done:

Matchup line: Hyman-Marleau-Brown
1st line: JVR-Matthews-Marner
Sheltered OZ use: Johnsson-Nyl-Kap
4th: Leivo-Bozak-Martin

What Babcock will do: Completely ****ing opposite

This is exactly what I was going to post.

The matchup line = They know exactly what they're role is. There's no reason to cheat/lose-coverage because they know exactly what their role is. VERY similar to the Komarov-Kadri-Brown line last year where they were excellent as a shutdown line because they knew what their role was.

The 1st line = As much as I dislike JVR's work ethic, he's very good at cycling the puck and small passes in the offensive zone. That's PERFECT to compliment Matthews-Marner.

The sheltered OZ line = Doesn't have to be sheltered to be honest. Pure speed and skill, with two strong defensive wingers as well. This line could easily eat up the other team's 3rd line.

4th line = Double-shift Marner/Kapanen/Matthews IF one of Leivo/Martin don't play too well. I've actually liked Bozak this series though.

Reactions: MR4 and Rob Brown

ryno23

Feb 5, 2010
I know this wont make the spreadsheet people happy but i would be putting Martin in for game 3.

I have played enough high level hockey or been semi involved in high level hockey to know that playing a guy like Martin allows all the Leaf skill guys to play a little taller and tougher. They know there is a guy who will run their stars and create room for them

As much as the advance sweatheart crowd will decry this notion it is as old as hockey itslef. I can tell Gretz and Kurri never said hey lets sit Semenko cause his corsi or fenwick is bad. Hell no play him cause i am not worried about getting run.

Marner is getting creamed this series yet there is no phyical response on the Bruins stars. Hey maybe time to run Pasternak into the boards with some heavy hockey and dont let him walk around our zones like a beer league no contact hockey.

Even crazier i would start Martin with Matthews and Marner. Let him create some space for those guys early on. Maybe Boston thinks twice about running Marner with Martin on the ice. Might create enough space to score or at least give those guys some confidence

Even further i am reworking the lines and D pair

Martin - Matthews - Marner see above

Johnsson - Nylander - Kappanen
Let these kids go nuts with speed and creativity. Let boston trie to check that line

JvR - Bozak - Marleau
3 vets who need to respond and create another level of attack.

Hyman - Moore - Brown

Grittier 4th line who should cycle and wear down the Bruins. Might not score but job is to work hard cycling. Moore upgrade over Plex who sucks

Dermott - Reilly

Lets see what Dermot can do. Cant be worse than the others. This pairing might surprise with 2 guys who can skate and can move the puck

Gards - Polak
Gards has Polak to do dirty work and Polak has Gards to move the puck for them

Hainsey - #22 (i dont use his name anymire)
2 guys who are having a terrible playoff so gets sheltered minutes and with PK might be fresher for that.

Nothing else is working so mix it up

Reactions: dsred

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Urgh, the myth of Chara is so gross. I wish the coaching staff would just make every's mission to throw the puck in deep in Chara's corner, attack with speed and take one big hit at him. Extrapolated over 2 games, that's 36 hits on the body and should soften him up, add some wear and tear on his ancient body and get yourself into the mentality that you're playing the same game and shouldn't be mortally terrified of him.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I know this wont make the spreadsheet people happy but i would be putting Martin in for game 3.

I have played enough high level hockey or been semi involved in high level hockey to know that playing a guy like Martin allows all the Leaf skill guys to play a little taller and tougher. They know there is a guy who will run their stars and create room for them

As much as the advance sweatheart crowd will decry this notion it is as old as hockey itslef. I can tell Gretz and Kurri never said hey lets sit Semenko cause his corsi or fenwick is bad. Hell no play him cause i am not worried about getting run.

Marner is getting creamed this series yet there is no phyical response on the Bruins stars. Hey maybe time to run Pasternak into the boards with some heavy hockey and dont let him walk around our zones like a beer league no contact hockey.

Even crazier i would start Martin with Matthews and Marner. Let him create some space for those guys early on. Maybe Boston thinks twice about running Marner with Martin on the ice. Might create enough space to score or at least give those guys some confidence

Even further i am reworking the lines and D pair

Martin - Matthews - Marner see above

Johnsson - Nylander - Kappanen
Let these kids go nuts with speed and creativity. Let boston trie to check that line

JvR - Bozak - Marleau
3 vets who need to respond and create another level of attack.

Hyman - Moore - Brown

Griiter 4th line who should cycle and wear down the Bruins. Might not score but job is to work hard cycling. Moore upgrade over Plex who sucks

Dermott - Reilly

Lets see what Dermot can do. Cant be worse than the others. This pairing might surprise with 2 guys who can skate and can move the puck

Gards - Polak
Gards has Polak to do dirty work and Polak has Gards to move the puck for them

Hainsey - #22 (i dont use his name anymire)
2 guys who are having a terrible playoff so gets sheltered minutes and with PK might be fresher for that.

Nothing else is working so mix it up

At this point we have nothing to lose. He's more of a pure brawn guy, but maybe it has a psychological impact on the kids.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad