What to do after our 2nd loss?

The Best Leafs Ever

Feb 28, 2017
The guy is trying. Is he effective - I don't know. Doesn't look like it. But he's trying. He cares.

This is why Babcock puts him up there.

I don't get why everyone is criticising Babcock for the decision to use Leo. It's all he has. His hands are tied. What's he gonna do, put Marner and Nylander up against Boston's biggest guys? lol. That's a laugher. Grit has to be matched with grit - and grit is something the Leafs have none of besides Leo and Kadri.

The fact that Leo is the ONLY player on this team that Babcock can use to counteract the Bruins physicality is the proof right there that this team is just not on any level ready to compete in this series. There is nobody on the roster capable of fighting back physically. Not even close. And that is why this will very likely be a 4-game exit. See it for what it is.

I only saw 3 players that had their feet moving at the same speed throughout the whole game and they were Johnson, Kapanen and Dermott. They were the only one who weren't affected by the big match ups. I think Keefe is doing a better job preparing these guys than Babcock.

Reactions: dsred

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
I don't think a turnaround comes from line changes. Chemistry or matchups isn't the issue. It's that we collectively have forgotten who we are.

Our way out of this is by skating them into the ground. Prioritize our good skaters, and do everything we can to push pace. Move Dermott up with Rielly/Gardiner and play the hell out of that pairing.

Honestly, at this point I'd rather them make a collective decision to focus as little as possible on physicality. It felt like we either bailed on hits, or rushed out of position to overcompensate. I don't know how many times we tried to play hard, only to get beaten back to the front of the net as a result. Especially against the Bergeron line.

Be who we are, not how we think playoff teams need to be.

What's he gonna do, put Marner and Nylander up against Boston's biggest guys?
Do you mean in size? Nylander has spent about half of his ice time so far against the biggest player in the league.

Komarov was put on the top line because Babcock played it safe and wanted a more defensive option against the Bergeron line.

hfman

Oct 30, 2013
I don't think a turnaround comes from line changes. Chemistry or matchups isn't the issue. It's that we collectively have forgotten who we are.

Our way out of this is by skating them into the ground. Prioritize our good skaters, and do everything we can to push pace. Move Dermott up with Rielly/Gardiner and play the hell out of that pairing.

Honestly, at this point I'd rather them make a collective decision to focus as little as possible on physicality. It felt like we either bailed on hits, or rushed out of position to overcompensate. I don't know how many times we tried to play hard, only to get beaten back to the front of the net as a result. Especially against the Bergeron line.

Be who we are, not how we think playoff teams need to be.

Do you mean in size? Nylander has spent about half of his ice time so far against the biggest player in the league.

Komarov was put on the top line because Babcock played it safe and wanted a more defensive option against the Bergeron line.

Nylander vs. Chara... is like a Kitten vs. Grizzly Bear... literally. Lol. give me a break. Leafs have zero chance here. Some of you guys are just dreaming.

Reactions: Robinson2187

Bigmarycombo

Jul 15, 2017
when the referees put away their whistles they single handedly gave Boston the series, we are way too soft to succeed in that environment.

Babcock is a stubborn arogant fool at times. He thinks his game plan is the only way to win and when it doesn’t work he is too stubborn to change things up until it’s too late.

On Boston’s first power play Hainsey and zaitsev played the full two minutes and Boston scored late on the power play. They could have changed when kappy had his breakaway but they didn’t.

I wanted bozak and jvr traded at the deadline, but some posters thought they would be needed in the playoffs. Lol

Griffin76

May 17, 2014
Nova Scotia
I think Babcock was looking at individual matchups

Bergeron vs Matthews
Pastrnak vs Nylander
Marchand vs Komarov (for the sandpaper)

Problem is Komarov lacks skill and speed. I also think Komarov came back from his injury too early. He was money on the PK all year. But his first 4 periods in these playoffs it's suffered a lot. It's a shame really but this team looked better in all situations after he got hurt.

MR4

Oct 20, 2014
What should be done:

Matchup line: Hyman-Marleau-Brown
1st line: JVR-Matthews-Marner
Sheltered OZ use: Johnsson-Nyl-Kap
4th: Leivo-Bozak-Martin

What Babcock will do: Completely f***ing opposite

Reactions: Schooner and dsred

skacore

Nov 7, 2010
Hyman Matthews Nylander
JVR Bozak Marner
Johnsson Marleau Kapanen
Martin Moore Brown

Rielly Hainsey
Gardiner Polak
Dermott Carrick

Come back home, don't change things drastically up front, remove the nightmare that is Zaitsev, add more grit, combined with home ice advantage we'll come out flying with a new found confidence. We outplayed the Bruins 3/4 of the game last night we just need these guys in the right mindset. Let Martin bring some push back to the Bruins big guys and watch the confidence rise...

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
"What do do?"

Stop dreaming, and accept that the Leafs arent that good.

Theyve been utterly schooled in 2 games. Children against men.

This series is done.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
"What do do?"

Stop dreaming, and accept that the Leafs arent that good.

Theyve been utterly schooled in 2 games. Children against men.

This series is done.
No the Leafs are very good. Sometimes good teams beat other good teams and thats what is happening here.
No need to be so negative that you make stuff up.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
No the Leafs are very good. Sometimes good teams beat other good teams and thats what is happening here.
No need to be so negative that you make stuff up.

One good team isnt "beating" another good team here.

A very good team is utterly dominating & destroying another team.

Big difference.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
One good team isnt "beating" another good team here.

A very good team is utterly dominating & destroying another team.

Big difference.
Wrong.
A good team is beating another good team. Sometimes a good team beats another good team by a good margin.

Not a big difference.

No need to be so negative that you make stuff up

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Make changes if you want to, or need to (Komarov?), but this is essentially the team, and the answer has to come from within. Two lopsided losses, but that can still be neutralized with two big efforts - and wins - on home ice. Time to flip the script.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
I'd just shorten the bench, honestly. Play 3 lines for the most part. Give more ice time to the more skilled players. Playoffs is the time to go all out and ride your top guys. There are no back to backs or any grueling travel. There is also 2 days rest between games 3 and 4. There is no reason to hold anyone back.

Last edited:
Reactions: dsred

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
I remember when I played high school football. One game we were losing by a large margin at half. Everyone wanted to quit, even the coach. I slapped the coach and told him we were going to win, and I took over the team. I scored four touchdowns that half and we won the game. Someone on the Leafs need to step up like I did.

stuart5035

Apr 9, 2017
We hurt, we have lost something precious, so we cast about, striking out, looking for blame, pointing fingers where they don’t belong. We even get personal and hurtful by accusing some of lack of effort and of caring. We have suffered for so many years; we had glimpses of something beautiful and now it seems gone.

We’ve been mesmerized by the “poetry in motion” of Matthews in full flight; breathless at the magic spun by Marner, blown away by how easy Nylander could make it look, dazzled by Rielly’s effortless gliding all over the ice, at Gardner’s brilliant foray’s, or Anderson’s octopus like defending.

We forget how far we’ve come in a few short years; we forget that it’s not easy, that management has done its best to fill in the holes as we take time to mature-that while the necessary veteran presence isn’t exactly what we wish for, we forget that there are few Roberts, Tucker’s and Clarke’s out there. And we know that even if those pieces were out there , it’s too early, it comes with a price tag, the refusal to sacrifice our youth and talent and to forego the quick fixes out there because there is a cost -violating the only hope of long term year by year excellence, the patience of drafting and developing internally.

We know we are in dire straits-our Marner, Matthews and Nylander are morphed into our opponent- but they are men, they are 10 years older, they are grizzled and savvy, they are Marchand, Bergeron, Krejci, Nash. They are deadly, poised, efficient, positioned.

But we love them and hope is eternal, we will cheer Monday and pray that our frenzied home environment will raise us up again, that “puck luck” comes full circle our way for a change, that our golden boy Anderson returns to brilliance. We want to see Kapanen’s early brilliance not result in nothing but the ring of a metal post. We notice that our opponent has full rein in the sweet spots in front of our net-yet we have no such freedom at the other end, and we want a solution.

Here’s to a complete reversal because of better execution, nothing else, not some delusion we aren’t physical enough or our defense is useless-Pittsburgh has proven it can be done consistently with a no name defense, and without half our talent back there. Good teams improvise and make adjustments.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->