What the two sides should offer

Status
Not open for further replies.

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
If they're really looking to end this thing and put some pressure on the other side

Owners

Entry Level - 3 year deals, $1 million max, Bonus can't be more than 100% of the contract.

Arbitration - abolished

Free Agency - 5 years or age 25, which ever comes first

Qualifying offers (rarely used) - 100%

Salary Cap - (60%) floor $37 million ceiling $47 million .. adjusts accoring to league revenues, but the ceiling will NEVER dip below $45 million

Players

Entry Level - 4 year deals, $850K max, Bonus can't be more than 50% of the deal, unless finalist for a major award (Norris, Vezina, Art Ross, Rocket Richard, Hart or Conn Smythe)

Arbitration - 2-way arbitration. Players and teams can ask for arbitration an unlimited amount.

Qualifying offers - 85%

Free Agency - Keep at 31

Luxury Tax -

$38 million - $0.25
$42 million - $0.50
$47 million - $0.75
$52 million - $1.25
$57 million - $1.75
$62 million - $2.00

The ranges would adjust each year with 60% of revenues = $0.50 threshold.

EDIT: Forgot to include the rollback of 24%

==============================================

If either side put forth one of those proposals, it would put incredible pressure on the other side to work with that and hammer out a deal.

Last edited:

likea

Jul 9, 2004
60% is way to much

even the players have only asked for 57 in their dec. proposal

and that luxery tax is worthless

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
likea said:
60% is way to much

even the players have only asked for 57 in their dec. proposal

and that luxery tax is worthless

The NFL, which the NHL and its BoG seem to love so much get the following percentages:

1998-2001 - 63%
2002 - 64%
2003 - 64.25%
2004 - 64.75%
2005 - 65.5%
2006 - 64.5%

EDIT - The floor in the NFL is 56%

West

Mar 7, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
That' a great CBA for turning the NHL into a 12 team league. Which after thinking about it for a second I have no problem with.

ryz

Dec 24, 2004
Canada
That luxury tax is, how did the NHLPA put it........... "not meaningful enough".

Anything less than dollar-for-dollar over 42-45 million just won't fly.

Other than that it's not a bad bunch of ideas.

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
West said:
That' a great CBA for turning the NHL into a 12 team league. Which after thinking about it for a second I have no problem with.

If the owners included significant revenue sharing in the proposal above, no team would have trouble meeting the floor of $37 million.

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
ryz said:
That luxury tax is, how did the NHLPA put it........... "not meaningful enough".

Anything less than dollar-for-dollar over 42-45 million just won't fly.

Other than that it's not a bad bunch of ideas.

I didn't say that either proposal was one the other side would immeditely sign .... but IMO they would be enough to put some serious pressure on the other side, and I think you'd see a deal fairly quickly but on that basis.

likea

Jul 9, 2004
John Flyers Fan said:
The NFL, which the NHL and its BoG seem to love so much get the following percentages:

1998-2001 - 63%
2002 - 64%
2003 - 64.25%
2004 - 64.75%
2005 - 65.5%
2006 - 64.5%

EDIT - The floor in the NFL is 56%

the NFL doesn't have the same expenses as the NHL
the NFL has alot more money pouring in from their TV deal
the NFL's cap is based on the 90% TV deal

ok, lets break it down some for ya and I'll show you why the NHL cannot do the NFL's numbers

lets just look at away games

42 for the NHL
8 for the NFL

thats huge

now think of travel, hotels, meal money...ect...ect..

ok, take home games and upkeep of the stadium

42 for the NHL
8 for the NHL

think workers, upkeep, ice is alot more expensive to maintain than a field, airconditioning...ect...ect...

the NHL owners spend way more on expenses that NFL owners

likea

Jul 9, 2004
John Flyers Fan said:
If the owners included significant revenue sharing in the proposal above, no team would have trouble meeting the floor of $37 million.

why should the NHLPA tell the owners what to do with their own money

it baffles me

likea

Jul 9, 2004
John Flyers Fan said:
I didn't say that either proposal was one the other side would immeditely sign .... but IMO they would be enough to put some serious pressure on the other side, and I think you'd see a deal fairly quickly but on that basis.

John, u can just tell your pro player by your proposals is all

60% is a huge win for the NHLPA...they would take it in a heartbeat

that luxery tax is terrible and would never be taken

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
likea said:

ok, lets break it down some for ya and I'll show you why the NHL cannot do the NFL's numbers

42 for the NHL
8 for the NFL

thats huge

42 for the NHL
8 for the NHL

think workers, upkeep, ice is alot more expensive to maintain than a field, airconditioning...ect...ect...

At 60% the NHL owners would still make a profit. Now they might not make the insane profits that NFL owners make, but I'm not trying to design a system where they make money hand over fist. A profit ?? Yes. A liscence to print money ?? No.

Even using the NHL's Leavitt report figures, which IMO are biased towards the owners they would have made a profit in 2002-03 if instead of 75% it was 60%.

Beatnik

Sep 2, 2002
Québec
Visit site
likea said:

42 for the NHL
8 for the NFL

thats huge

42 for the NHL
8 for the NHL

The NFL % cap include the TV revenus. Also the NFL team are often alone in their stadium while NHL arena often have NBA and many shows.

The final deal cap should be at the same level than the NFL's one IMO, since the owners/Bettman have a huge responsibility for the decline of hockey. If they act well in the next years the values of the teams should explose. That's a kind of profit too.

Also if there is a cap the owner must really open their books something they have always refused. Even if they agree on the % it will be very difficult to agree on the ways to evaluate the revenues.

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
likea said:
why should the NHLPA tell the owners what to do with their own money

it baffles me

I could careless whether NHL teams share revenues, but if there is going to be a ceiling than there has to be a floor. If teams can't afford to reach the floor, we have revenue sharing to help them out ... hence the "partnership" Bettman once to create.

Iceman23

Dec 26, 2003
Very interesting proposals John Flyers Fan. I would love to see the players proposal you suggested get put out there. I don't think the players would take a salary cap. But they might take a harsh luxury tax that would act as a sever deterrent to go over the agreed number. Hopefully we hear some good news.

likea

Jul 9, 2004
John Flyers Fan said:
At 60% the NHL owners would still make a profit. Now they might not make the insane profits that NFL owners make, but I'm not trying to design a system where they make money hand over fist. A profit ?? Yes. A liscence to print money ?? No.

Even using the NHL's Leavitt report figures, which IMO are biased towards the owners they would have made a profit in 2002-03 if instead of 75% it was 60%.

show me how much they would have made in the Levitts report if using 60%

and if that is true why did the NHLPA propose a systme giving only 57% of the revenues to the players along with the 24% roll back????

doesn't make much sense to me

likea

Jul 9, 2004
Beatnik said:
The NFL % cap include the TV revenus. Also the NFL team are often alone in their stadium while NHL arena often have NBA and many shows.

The final deal cap should be at the same level than the NFL's one IMO, since the owners/Bettman have a huge responsibility for the decline of hockey. If they act well in the next years the values of the teams should explose. That's a kind of profit too.

Also if there is a cap the owner must really open their books something they have always refused. Even if they agree on the % it will be very difficult to agree on the ways to evaluate the revenues.

umm, ok, not sure the point your trying to make but the NHL still has alot more expenses than the NFL...which is why the % of revenues is different

likea

Jul 9, 2004
John Flyers Fan said:
I could careless whether NHL teams share revenues, but if there is going to be a ceiling than there has to be a floor. If teams can't afford to reach the floor, we have revenue sharing to help them out ... hence the "partnership" Bettman once to create.

the NHL has already stated it will give enough revenue sharing to make every team hit the min.

so why does the NHLPA continue to ask for more revenue sharing

its a battle cry that is worthless

as long as every team hits the min. and its keep NHLPA jobs, it is none of their business if To. makes 30 million and Pittsburgh breaks even

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
likea said:
show me how much they would have made in the Levitts report if using 60%

Using the Leavitt report 2002-03
$23.4 million profit as opposed to a $273 million loss

Using the Forbes report 2003-04
$38.1 million profit as opposed to a $96 million loss

likea

Jul 9, 2004
John Flyers Fan said:
Using the Leavitt report 2002-03
$23.4 million profit as opposed to a $273 million loss

Using the Forbes report 2003-04
$38.1 million profit as opposed to a $96 million loss

is that counting revenue sharing?????

if 10 teams need money to hit your salary floor they will only get 2 million or 3 million dollars????

and then the NHL is losing money again right?????

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
likea said:
is that counting revenue sharing?????

if 10 teams need money to hit your salary floor they will only get 2 million or 3 million dollars????

and then the NHL is losing money again right?????

That's total money. Revenue sharing wouldn't change the league wide figures, just the individual team-by-team profit/loss numbers.

likea

Jul 9, 2004
John Flyers Fan said:
That's total money. Revenue sharing wouldn't change the league wide figures, just the individual team-by-team profit/loss numbers.

ok, ya, I thought of it a different way...sorry

officeglen

Oct 6, 2002
Eastern Ontario
Visit site
Good ideas, though the two sides seem bent on destruction.

If I were the representing the players, I would wait until about now, and then offer:

Entry Level - as per NHL.

Arbitration - as per NHL.

Free Agency - as per NHL.

Qualifying offers - 85%

Free Agency - 30

Luxury Tax -
$38 million - $1.00
$42 million - $1.50
$47 million - $2.00
$52 million - $3.00
$57 million - $4.00
$62 million - $5.00
Ranges adjusted each year based on overall revenue (3rd party verification)

If player costs over 58% of overall revenue, all luxury tax $ goes to NHL to redistribute as it sees fit (likely rewarding teams with controlled player costs). If player costs 52-58%, luxury tax $ split 70-30, 70 to NHL. If player costs less than 52%, all luxury tax $ (should not be much) goes to NHLPA to redistribute as it sees fit. The NHLPA avoids hard cap. The NHL gets a system to finally control costs.

I would get this offer out in the media, and then let the owners decide.

likea

Jul 9, 2004
also John

lets not forget that the league is going to take a major hit in revenue but costs for the team like hotels, food money..ect...ect will remain the same

I just think 60% is way too much

1 million profit per team is not that much money...esp when you consider the hit that they will take in the next 5 years

dakota

May 18, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
Good article on the nfl cap a few years old but it compares it to what Bettman wants

http://www.andrewsstarspage.com/12-14cba.htm

Basically, through the CBA the parties have realized that the goal of the players and the management should be the same—increasing the revenue pie instead of fighting over the existing amount—and the NFL has tailored the CBA to achieve that end

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->