Ehlers 2.09
Wheeler 2.08
Laine 2.0
Hendricks 1.78
Armia 1.62
Perreault 1.53
Little 1.49
Copp 1.34
Right so Lowry does have better stats than Armia despite not playing with Perrault and has been picked on a lot more in this forum lately.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Right so Lowry does have better stats than Armia despite not playing with Perrault and has been picked on a lot more in this forum lately.
Lowry produced at a higher rate at 5v5 than all but 2 regular forwards - Connor and Scheifele. He also topped the Jets in xGF% at a whopping 60.9. Biases run deep.

Reactions: Jack722

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I wonder what would it take to get Sebastian Aho from the Canes? He would be an absolutely great player for the Jets. Of course he has great chemistry with Laine, but first of all because it really seems likely that he is going to be a center in the NHL. He played already as a center at the end of this season, and now just recently he played as a center in the WHC tournament, where he was chosen as the best forward of the whole tournament, over McDavid and Kane, whom both were also great in the tournament.

He is a very good skater, has great hands and passing skills and he can also score goals and is a very good player defensively. Could be of course that he is kind of untouchable for the Canes. But I was still wondering if there would be any options after all to get him with any players outside of Scheifele, Wheeler, Hellebuyck and Laine, as I pretty much see them as the only Jets that I wouldn’t want to see going anywhere in any circumstances at the moment.
Probably pretty much untouchable, I would think. Conversation would have to include players like Ehlers and Connor.

Reactions: irunthepeg

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
Probably pretty much untouchable, I would think. Conversation would have to include players like Ehlers and Connor.
I would think so too, but could also be that something would need to be added in addition to either of them. Especially as they did start using him as a center already at the end of the season and it really seems that they will try to make him their number one or two center already next season. Or at least previous coach was having these kind of talks often. Now of course the coach has changed from Peters to Brindamour. But Brindy was after all Peters’s assistant coach, so he could have pretty much the same thoughts about Aho. Doing great as a center at the WHC shouldn’t also probably make that idea seem like bad to Brindamour.

But if not Aho, then I would anyway love to see a similar type of player as a center for the Jets 2nd line, if Stastny will not stay after all. Maybe Tyler Johnson would be available now that Point is on the rise for Tampa? I think he could be also great for being the Jets number two center. Does any other good options come to mind?

Reactions: GNP

ERYX

'Pegger in Exile
Oct 25, 2014
Ontario, Canada
I thought Lowry was great vs the Wild and then not so much. For such a big guy I wish he would have imposed himself during Vegas series. The whistles had gone away for the most part. Mix it up, get in fleurys face. Do something when you aren’t providing offence.
I like Lowry, but I suppose I’m concerned about what kind of money he wants when I see him as a 4th line centre.

The man was playing with dislocated ribs apparently. That would certainly explain why he was less physical. He must have been in agony just to be on the ice to say nothing of laying hits.

He was far from the only one not producing. I was sad/disappointed that my favourite player on the Jets didn't do more. I thought he'd be a beast in the playoffs but can't blame him given what he was playing through. If he has a fully healthy season/playoffs look out.

Reactions: Ducky10

GaryPoppins

A broken clock is right twice in a day
Sep 10, 2016
I've highlighted the issues I have with your thoughts

1) Goaltending
-Bucky's the real deal. No goaltender played more than him this year. Led the NHL with 67 regular season starts. Let the NHL in regular season TOI. Let the NHL in playoffs games. After tonight Holtby will take the lead, but regular seasons and playoffs combined Connor led the pack
-Hutch has burned his bridges, although major media never picked up the story. All the noise comes from his interview in the Athletic. If it wasn't for waivers he'd have returned to the Moose. The Jets may still have plans for him. Whether or not he accepts them is another story entirely. I've had the opportunity to interact with him. He believes he's a starting goalie & every chance he's been give he's proven capable. He's admittedly a horrible backup. If he's not playing a heavy workload his performance falls apart. With Bucky the #1, Hutch needs to find work elsewhere or learn how to deal with a light workload.
-Comrie isn't a large man. His style is all about agility. Next years Moose won't be as good as this years version. He's gonna get a heavy workload next year
-Berdin. I disagree 100% with your assessment, so much so I don't think you gave this statement much thought. What about a career .928+ goalie don't you like? He's extremely young and still playing junior hockey. As of today an argument could be made he's our best prospect in net.

2) LHD
-Morrissey may be a future Norris contender. Outstanding
-Chiarot beginning to progress. He's a solid press box player & could prove to be a dependable 3rd pairing defender. Certainly not there yet, but I certainly think he showed marked improvement this season.
-Enstrom. I defended him a lot. More so than I should have. He'd still be a fine 3rd pairing defensemen, but chances are he returns to play pro hockey in Europe, particular with the emergence of Niku
-Niku. Outstanding AHL season offensively. Do we rush him into the NHL or allow his defensive game to progress with the Moose
-Kulikov. I've no worries about him. Spends summers working out in Florida with Stamkos & Scheifele. He's gonna be fine.

I'd agree that it's been apparent that the opposition picks on the Jets left side. Nothing new though, This has been going on since Hainsey & Oduya left.Became more apparent once the injuries began to pile up.

3) RHD
-Buff, best season in years. Far too much ice time however. Men his size shouldn't be playing 30 minutes in the playoffs. His gaffes have always been due to him trying too hard. His season improved the moment he concentrated on his position.
-Myers. Great offseason. Played the full season & all the playoffs. He's back and one game away from winning my bet with @Bastage 82+5+7+5=99. Your bet jinxed the Jets!! One more game for 100!!
-Trouba. Despite the occasional gaffe, he's been a dominant defender. Would like his offensive game to jump 10-15 points considering the cash we're about to pay him.
-Poolman. Would be the 3rd pairing defensemen on many teams. Should have played the season in the AHL. One of the only management mistakes I feel I have to vocalize. Sitting as much as he did, did him no good.

Jets moving a RD is a topic done to death. I'm of the position one right defensemen is dealt. Buff's full no movement now gone, Myers value is back to where it was, Trouba proved his worth. Buff 7.5+ Myers 5.5+ Trouba 6+ is 20 million on 3 players. Upcoming season is the last season the Jets can afford this luxury. We should have won the cup with these three.

4) Centre
-Scheifele for MVP? What a playoff run!
-I've no issues with Little at 2C. I think he was banged up. Little had to be forced to admit he was kinda injured, so perhaps he has a rebound season.
-Lowry...love him!
-Roslovic. If being groomed as a centre, he should have been playing there on the Moose. My only other management complaint. Perhaps this usage hints at him playing RW & thus a free agent centre is coming. See below...
-Stastny. Looks like he belongs. Anyone else think it telling he as included with Scheifele & Wheeler in the exit interviews? Sign him & give him an A
-Petan. Great season in the AHL. Not sure what else is expected out of him. He'll be waiver eligible. He'll be traded otherwise makes the team and creates cap space.

I expect at least one more trade. Our roster looks to be 25 men strong. Two have to go. Most will say Dano & Petan.

You didn't get into wingers, but ours are the best in hockey.

Next season is our year. Go Jets go!

RE: Berdin.... I meant NHL contributors next year, not his overall potential. I'm quite high on him.

mondo3

Jun 4, 2011
Anaheim
I wonder what would it take to get Sebastian Aho from the Canes? He would be an absolutely great player for the Jets. Of course he has great chemistry with Laine, but first of all because it really seems likely that he is going to be a center in the NHL. He played already as a center at the end of this season, and now just recently he played as a center in the WHC tournament, where he was chosen as the best forward of the whole tournament, over McDavid and Kane, whom both were also great in the tournament.

He is a very good skater, has great hands and passing skills and he can also score goals and is a very good player defensively. Could be of course that he is kind of untouchable for the Canes. But I was still wondering if there would be any options after all to get him with any players outside of Scheifele, Wheeler, Hellebuyck and Laine, as I pretty much see them as the only Jets that I wouldn’t want to see going anywhere in any circumstances at the moment.

Aho would be considered untouchable except for a massive overpay. It would be like someone asking us for Scheifele.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
The man was playing with dislocated ribs apparently. That would certainly explain why he was less physical. He must have been in agony just to be on the ice to say nothing of laying hits.

He was far from the only one not producing. I was sad/disappointed that my favourite player on the Jets didn't do more. I thought he'd be a beast in the playoffs but can't blame him given what he was playing through. If he has a fully healthy season/playoffs look out.
I have never heard of dislocated ribs.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Lowry produced at a higher rate at 5v5 than all but 2 regular forwards - Connor and Scheifele. He also topped the Jets in xGF% at a whopping 60.9. Biases run deep.

Yeah but Lowry the three seasons prior to this past one produced between 1.1 and 1.2 P/60. I value the guy but I doubt we see him produce as he did last season consistently moving forward. I'd be happy if he was consistently in the 1.5 p/60 range.

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
The key position the Jet's will have to address this off season is a #2 center ice man. I'd say they'd be looking at one of 4 options --in my opinion :

1) That could come by signing Statsny to a max deal of 2 years--if he'd accept ?? I doubt it, considering his age, he'll want longer term. Also to pay him no more than $ $ 5.5 mil per year.( he'll want more) and could probably get it, on the open market.

2) They could hope Roslovic can hold this spot down, and really come into his own --I like this option--I think he has what it takes, if not--move Little to 2nd line, and Roslo to 3rd line to get him experience. Roslo has speed, great puck handler, and soft scoring hands. I think this guy is going to turn heads.

3) Last option is to trade one of our RH defenseman -- and maybe Perrault for a real good young proven center. I don't like this option that much, because we'd lose a good R D-man when we don't have to, as I believe Roslovic will be the answer. Also I believe our Right side defense is amongst the best in the league-why not leave it that way--that's why we accomplished the record we did --"we're tough to beat." Maybe Aho, Tyler Johnson or RNH may be a good fit- I think Chevy would get it right.

4) They could decide to go with Wheeler at center ice again--like when Scheifle was hurt, and the Jet's record was fairly good when he played center. Somehow, I don't think Maurice likes this though ??

I think the Jet's have to be discussing all 4 of these options, or have already done so --so we'll wait to see what Chevy does ?? So far you can't knock his decisions--he's a very smart hockey man. I'd say one of the best GM's out there. Be very interesting.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ippenator

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
The key position the Jet's will have to address this off season is a #2 center ice man. I'd say they'd be looking at one of 4 options --in my opinion :

1) That could come by signing Statsny to a max deal of 2 years--if he'd accept ?? I doubt it, considering his age, he'll want longer term. Also to pay him no more than $ $ 5.5 mil per year.( he'll want more) and could probably get it, on the open market.

2) They could hope Roslovic can hold this spot down, and really come into his own --I like this option--I think he has what it takes, if not--move Little to 2nd line, and Roslo to 3rd line to get him experience. Roslo has speed, great puck handler, and soft scoring hands. I think this guy is going to turn heads.

3) Last option is to trade one of our RH defenseman -- and maybe Perrault for a real good young proven center. I don't like this option that much, because we'd lose a good R D-man when we don't have to, as I believe Roslovic will be the answer. Also I believe our Right side defense is amongst the best in the league-why not leave it that way--that's why we accomplished the record we did --"we're tough to beat."

4) They could decide to go with Wheeler at center ice again--like when Scheifle was hurt, and the Jet's record was fairly good when he played center. Somehow, I don't think Maurice likes this though ??

I think the Jet's have to be discussing all 4 of these options, or have already done so --so we'll wait to see what Chevy does ?? So far you can't knock his decisions--he's a very smart hockey man. I'd say one of the best GM's out there. Be very interesting.

Honestly if Wheels would move to center that would be awesome.

Ehlers - Scheif- Rosie
Connor - Wheels - Laine
Perreault - Little - Armia
Copp - Lowry - Tanev

Wheels would be more sheltered then the last time he played center. Makes us a tough matchup still as well.

StatisticsAddict99

Feb 24, 2017
People underestimate Roslovic way to much, he scored at a 37pt pace with 12 minutes per game, he was the best player in the AHL for a stint of time(personally my opinion but when he was playing on the Moose they where the best AHL team and teams couldn’t keep him from scoring), he lead the Jets in 5v5 Pts/60 and is as dynamic as any player on the Jets. I have no doubt in my mind that if this kid takes the 2C position he will score 55+ Points pretty easily and I’m sure he’d make his linemates better around him more so than Little.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
We need a good 2C who has chemistry with Laine/Ehlers. This pushes Little to 3C and Lowry to 4C, both would be elite in those roles.

PMO might change his mind eventually but ha has stated he much prefers Jack as a winger instead of a centre. I doubt the coach would ask a vet like Blake to move to 2C permanently.

Reactions: Ippenator

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
I have never heard of dislocated ribs.

They are real, I’ve had it myself. The doc said to me in ways dislocation is worse/more painful then broken ribs. I got mine doing mixed martial arts years ago. It hurt to breath, cough, sneeze, laugh and all motion using your core (which is a lot).

Reactions: GNP and 10Ducky10

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Yeah but Lowry the three seasons prior to this past one produced between 1.1 and 1.2 P/60. I value the guy but I doubt we see him produce as he did last season consistently moving forward. I'd be happy if he was consistently in the 1.5 p/60 range.
I would expect Lowry to regress toward his historical mean. He's 25 so this is peak Lowry. His line creates a lot of chances in the offensive zone though - it might be useful to have a finisher on the wing there. Copp-Lowry-Roslovic? Could be deadly if they can keep the ice tilted - and by all indications Copp+Lowry = really good Corsi no matter who's on the other wing...

DJBiffWPG

May 30, 2018
Honestly if Wheels would move to center that would be awesome.

Ehlers - Scheif- Rosie
Connor - Wheels - Laine
Perreault - Little - Armia
Copp - Lowry - Tanev

Wheels would be more sheltered then the last time he played center. Makes us a tough matchup still as well.

Wheeler is not a C and his play showed that.

Reactions: Jets 31 and Jimby

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Wheeler is not a C and his play showed that.

He played better than a good number of Cs in the league during that time. He also had two rookies on his wings that weren't carrying their weight defensively at all while taking on top competition and we still won more games then we lost. You put Wheels at center on a sheltered line and he'd be among the better 2cs in the league.

Reactions: GNP and Eyeseeing

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
We need a good 2C who has chemistry with Laine/Ehlers. This pushes Little to 3C and Lowry to 4C, both would be elite in those roles.

PMO might change his mind eventually but ha has stated he much prefers Jack as a winger instead of a centre. I doubt the coach would ask a vet like Blake to move to 2C permanently.

Yeah I'd only put Wheels as a stop gap until we find someone. He'll want to play with Scheif no doubt.

DJBiffWPG

May 30, 2018
He played better than a good number of Cs in the league during that time. He also had two rookies on his wings that weren't carrying their weight defensively at all while taking on top competition and we still won more games then we lost. You put Wheels at center on a sheltered line and he'd be among the better 2cs in the league.

He’s an elite winger and an average centermen...leave him where he is. Try and fix one problem by creating another..

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
He’s an elite winger and an average centermen...leave him where he is. Try and fix one problem by creating another..

It's not really a problem to not have him on the wing. Unless you think Roslovic and Laine can't produce in top 6 minutes.

Robinson2187

Registered Schmoozer
Nov 22, 2015
Comox BC
It's not really a problem to not have him on the wing. Unless you think Roslovic and Laine can't produce in top 6 minutes.
I agree. I didn't hate Wheels at C and it should remain an option for the team, not the best one, but still an option if a better solution cant be found.

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
People underestimate Roslovic way to much, he scored at a 37pt pace with 12 minutes per game, he was the best player in the AHL for a stint of time(personally my opinion but when he was playing on the Moose they where the best AHL team and teams couldn’t keep him from scoring), he lead the Jets in 5v5 Pts/60 and is as dynamic as any player on the Jets. I have no doubt in my mind that if this kid takes the 2C position he will score 55+ Points pretty easily and I’m sure he’d make his linemates better around him more so than Little.

The only thing he's missing is experience in the NHL at the position. If we don't re-sign Stastny/sign a 2C I hope Roslovic gets a chance to start at C with someone like Perreault on his line. He's a future C for us, zero doubt in my mind. Mo just didn't want to force him there higher up in the lineup this year.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
I don't think we need anything right now, I'd say a better quality coach with tons of experience that coaches a high-end and exciting system. Scotty Bowman would be perfect right now, if only he were coaching again. Alain Vigneault would be perfect as his offensive system is out of this world, it's Arniel that isn't so good.

As for players I think we're good, I just don't think we should keep Stastny unless we get rid of Little, which won't happen because Little has been with us through the thick and thin. It'd be wrong to trade him. I think at this point we're in the business of getting rid of players, but luckily we have small contracts like Mason and Kulikov that soon expire and use that on future extensions.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->