What the HELL is wrong with the Ottawa Senators!?

McDonald19

Sep 9, 2003
California
Bad trades:

7-5-13: Anaheim Ducks traded Bobby Ryan to the Ottawa Senators for Jakob Silfverberg, Stefan Noesen and a 1st round selection in 2014 (Nick Ritchie).

7-18-16: New York Rangers traded Derick Brassard and a 7th round selection in 2018 to the Ottawa Senators for Mika Zibanejad and a 2nd round selection in 2018.

11-5-17: Colorado Avalanche traded Matt Duchene to the Ottawa Senators for Kyle Turris, Andrew Hammond, Shane Bowers, a 2018 first-round pick and a 2019 third-round pick. Colorado Avalanche traded Kyle Turris to the Nashville Predators for Samuel Girard, Vladislav Kamenev and a 2018 second-round pick.

Steve

Mar 6, 2002
They were in many tight games last year and eventually bounces go the other way. When your system works around suppression and you can’t score, it’s hard to consistently win. They have done a good job of it though. I think they will be right on the bubble at the end of the season.

InAllOurLeafsCommand

Apr 9, 2017
Karlsson seems to a different player after his surgery, I am starting to wonder if he will ever return to his old form.

Also, Boucher's system sucks. It's a one trick pony. Last year it worked, but this year teams have adjusted and Boucher is either unable, or too stubborn, to make any changes. It's pitiful watching this team continually dump the puck while one lone player goes in for the forecheck and the rest go for change. There is just zero offensive pressure, there is a reason they can't buy any goals.

The GM and owner are also incompetent. Dorion needs to go before he gives up any more futures in a panic trade, as it is he has already done serious long term damage to the team. Melnyk is also too cheap to own a hockey team, he's more concerned about making a profit for himself than he is about icing a contender. There is no doubt he is the driving force behind many of these awful trades, and will be a big part of the reason Karlsson refuses to re-sign next year.

New ownership, coach, and management are desperately needed at this point.

Last edited:
Reactions: rosenqvist

SensFactor

Oct 25, 2008
Ottawa
I just want Dorion fired. That's it and that's all. Never liked him....Turris trade was hot garbage.

WJCJ

Sep 27, 2017
I think it is Guy Boucher, his teams do well and then it seems like right after they peak. he loses the team or other teams just figure them out. Either way, I am guessing it is Boucher but I also think he needs to get credit for their success too.

Reactions: D3SIJ4TT

Deluded Puck

Jun 17, 2013
London, UK
Karlsson is the most relied upon non-goalie in the league. Once he gets his groove back, they’ll be competitive again. Also whilst Turris has a lower peak performance point than Duchene, he’s a more well rounded player and suited the demands of Boucher’s system. It’s a trade that should have been made in the summer.

Battle Lin

Dec 18, 2015
i really dont know really, if you take a gander at their roster and move your eyes up and down...its a pretty dam good team with depth...but after the trade they have played horrible, duchene isnt among the elite but hes a great nhl player, you dont blame a single player

its actually pretty surprising to me, i thought they lock for 2 or 3 in the division on paper

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
A few things:

1) Their goaltending has been abysmal. They're 29th/31 teams for team save %. That will kill virtually any teams playoff hopes.

2) A lot of people think Karlsson has been playing injured. He hasn't been carrying the puck up as much as he normally does, a lot more banking it off the boards, etc.

3) They were never a fantastic team to begin with. Despite doing well in the playoffs last year (small sample size), in the regular season they were only 4 points ahead of 9th place, were 12th OA in league standings, were the only playoff team in the league with a negative goal differential, and had missed the playoffs the year before. We're not talking about a team that's consistently been in the playoffs, or even came close to contending for the President's Trophy last year.

So just like most years, they're playing like a bubble team. In the playoff race for much of the season, falling out of the top 8 at times, jumping in at times. But if you take a bubble team, and then make their goaltending significantly worse than previous years, the team can drop like a stone to the bottom of the standings.

Reactions: CDN24 and NyQuil

SenzZen

RIP, GOAT
Jan 31, 2011
Ottawa
Look at Ceci on the Kase goal from last night.

I fail to see how Duchene or Karlsson can be faulted for that. Something is broken.

Whether the players were gritting their teeth over Boucher’s demanding approach, and the Turris trade was a breaking point that has the players entirely tuning out management, I don’t know.

But at some point you’d think they would play with some pride.

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto
Time will tell, but it’s possible they were last month’s “flavor of the month”. In November, they were known as “Ontario’s team” and Karlsson was the 3rd best player in the game. But that’s only natural to look ahead. People are doing the same with Winnipeg and Scheifele this month. Ottawa is a good team but people should have more realistic expectations.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
This is a team that shocked everyone by taking the Penguins to double overtime of Game 7 of the ECF. Karlsson looked like the best player in the world, Anderson looked unbeatable, the system was tight and effective (the only criticism opposing fans had against it was that it was "boring").

Basically none of those things hold true so far this year.

There's a reason so many people thought the Sens would miss the playoffs this year. Last year they had that typical hard working season after missing. You rarely take nights off and stay focused. Combined that with a new coach that had everybody buy in and perfectly executed made the Sens not fun to play against. Their best players in key positions played well and they managed to win a lot of tight games.

Their run in the playoffs was good, although i thought they had some things going for them. Ever since the last meeting between Ottawa and Boston in 15-16 regular season when the Sens knocked Boston out of the playoff race, they seemed to get a mental stranglehold over Boston and completely dominated them. Bruins finally won in the 1st playoff game and that was a big boost that definitely brought the excitement of playing Ottawa back, but ultimately they had too many injuries (didn't they miss like 3 of their regular dmen?). Maybe with a healthy lineup it's a different story considering all those OT games they played.

2nd round.. well.. i still think the Rangers kind of shot themselves in the foot. Those late blown leads were unbelievable and something that doesn't happen 10/10 times if you replay those games. I'd even argue they don't all happen 50% of the time. And when you lose games like that ultimately it takes the wind off your sails and that's exactly what happened.

Pens came into the ECF having lost 2 of their last 3 games against the Caps (in those 2 games they got outscored 4-9) and after the Sens won the first game, you just knew it was going to be a tight series.. Pens were fighting it, not just Ottawa's frustrating style, but also themselves, during that series. Think back to game 3 which was embarrassing and complete lack of focus and effort.

So ultimately their playoff success was a combination of their opponents not being at their best and confidence in winning those tight games that they created for themselves during the year. It was a good run, and even though some people will disagree with me, when we say "team that got the Champs to double OT game 7 of the ECF", to me it wasn't as glorious as it sounds.

Back to this season, i mentioned the typical hard working year they had last year. Well as typical as that was, it's also very common to follow that up with less hard working season. It's the true test of are you good enough, because you're going to have to win a lot of games where you're not playing that well. It's a season where your quality of roster gets tested a lot more and thus teams (like Colorado that everybody keeps pointing back to) that might've had a surprisingly good year before fall back to earth.

And so far, overall they've been mediocre. Which isn't that surprising considering all the numbers from last year and lack of superstar outside EK who is struggling. Even when they were playing well they blew a lot of leads which showed the focus isn't at the same level like i mentioned. Im still not a fan of their defense, Anderson seems to keep going with the pattern of good year-bad year, Duchene looks disappointing so far, Ryan is quiet again..

Ottawa isn't as bad as their last 10 or so games would suggest, but they also aren't a 100 point team in a normal year. To me they're a team that should be in 90-95 point range and that's a team battling for WC spot or 3rd in the Atlantic depending on how the division does. But if they underachieve, they're guaranteed to miss. And so far they have underachieved which shows in their record.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
I’m convinced Karlsson is playing injured. Admittedly I’ve only seen 3 Sens games(2 against the islanders) but in those three games Karlsson didn’t look like himself. His skating clearly wasn’t what we’re used to seeing from him.

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
This is a team that shocked everyone by taking the Penguins to double overtime of Game 7 of the ECF. Karlsson looked like the best player in the world, Anderson looked unbeatable, the system was tight and effective (the only criticism opposing fans had against it was that it was "boring").

Now they look like one of the worst teams in the league, if not THE worst. Every forward can't get anything going on offense, their defense is a mess, Karlsson looks like a 40 year old washed up has-been, Anderson and Condon are sieves, and Boucher's once effective and annoying system is now nowhere to be seen.
we already had one thread like this. why another? youre justvgoinf to hear the same stuff over and over.

they were never a good team to begin with.

the least 5 years they've been a bubble team at Best. when they've made the playoffs they've needed miracle runs by rookie goalies and other things. last year they were the only playoff team with negative goal differential. they would have been a bubble team again but jacked up their points on shootout wins.

there is piles and piles of things pointing to them not being all that good a team last year.

they get into the playoffs and play some teams missing a pile of key players. get several of their own going hot and still can't pull it off.

end result they were extremely fortunate to get as far as they did. they're really not that good.

mist fans saw this in the offseason. many predicted they might not make the playoffs and sens fans response was always "but they were one goal away from making the final".

now, you've also lost methot. going back through the years karlssons stats with and without methot tell quite a different story. he did a lot of the grunt work in my opinion, that enabled karlsson to go full offense. I think that hurts more than you think.

add to that a 36 year old inconsistent goal, and it all spells trouble.

now, I don't think they're THIS bad. but you can basically consider the past 10 games making up for the overachievement you've enjoyed over the past 6 or 8 months.

eventually they'll right the ship and probably land around 10th.

lesson learned by sens fans - a Cinderella team "that made it within one goal of the finals" doesn't mean anything anymore. you gotta stop clinging on to that.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Wasting too much of their self-imposed cap on guys that aren't producing (Ryan, Duchene, Ceci, etc.)

bob27

Grzelcyk is a top pairing defenceman
Apr 2, 2015
The most unlikely stretch of amazing puck luck just came to a halt and the team's record finally matches their performance on the ice.

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
Their roster isn't that great, and I'm sure the Boucher Effect has already worn off (or is starting to).

Bladerunner

Aug 12, 2009
N VA
Having the worst L10 record in the NHL is putting them in a hole. Good for them they're in the weak Atlantic, but even 3rd looks like a stretch right now.

Oh and Matt Duchene :popcorn:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad