What the HELL is wrong with the Ottawa Senators!?

6ix

HitEmWit4LikeAustonM
Nov 26, 2014
Karma. They thought the grass was greener on the other side with Duchene over Turris.

Reactions: DriveFor9th

nobody

Aug 8, 2017
I got called out as a sour fan when I complained about their boring ass playing style. I was told winning makes even the most boring hockey funnn. I hope those Sens fans are still having funnn!

As for the problems with this team. Like the Oilers, Sens played out if their minds good last year. They're not that good of a team but they're also not this bad of a team. They'll hover around 7-10.

Kamina

Amok
Feb 28, 2007
This year is pretty much written off. The team is too banged up to catch up, namely Karlsson, Ryan -- and they're not getting good goaltending to bail them out. With those two factors, it makes sense why the team is not motivated, especially in Boucher's system.

In the end no factor is greater than the Duchene trade. This should have been done in the off-season. The chemistry of the team is clearly messed up now.

The coaching staff need to figure out the PP & how things went wrong this year in general.... Also, the development of the young D (Claesson, Ceci, Chabot, Harpur) will be invaluable for us next year

Last edited:
Reactions: BuckyDornster

Linda Bacon

Canada fan
Nov 7, 2017
Boucher is overrated, good short term coach but not for the long term. We learned that from Tampa and we're seeing it again.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Duchene has more points in the last 10 games than Erik Karlsson. Also, he's playing like 12-13 min a game (most of it on the wing?), I don't know what the heck they are doing with him. The problem might be more how the Sens are mishandling Duchene than Matt Duchene himself.

Erik Alfredsson

Beast Mode Cowboy!
Jan 14, 2012
I got called out as a sour fan when I complained about their boring ass playing style. I was told winning makes even the most boring hockey funnn. I hope those Sens fans are still having funnn!

As for the problems with this team. Like the Oilers, Sens played out if their minds good last year. They're not that good of a team but they're also not this bad of a team. They'll hover around 7-10.

But the team isn't winning anymore...

Kamina

Amok
Feb 28, 2007
I forgot another important thing that has to happen for next year: the ownership change. Karlsson does not believe in the championship potential of this team with Melnyk as owner. If he hits UFA status and Melnyk is owner, Karlsson is gone.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Weren’t their advanced stats last year terrible? Even in the playoffs? Seem to remember @Jeffler on twitter in particular constantly posting their numbers and talking about how it was a fluke run the further and further they got.

Also, that Duchene trade so far, yikes.

That's such a lazy answer. There's no way you look at the team last year and the team this year and tell me that they are playing the same kind of hockey and its just luck catching up to them.

Duchene has more points in the last 10 games than Erik Karlsson. Also, he's playing like 12-13 min a game (most of it on the wing?), I don't know what the heck they are doing with him. The problem might be more how the Sens are mishandling Duchene than Matt Duchene himself.

What? He has played maybe a handful of shifts on the wing, later in games and has played less than 16 minutes twice, while averaging 18:07. How did you manage to come to that conclusion?

Screen Shot 2017-12-06 at 11.18.30 PM.png

Last edited:

Sensators

Sep 15, 2009
If karlsson isn't a good player the sens have no chance, he plays a ton. He has not been a good player. Hoffman is also often making poor decisions. When our "best" players play bad we cannot expect to win. EK will probably figure it out but he will need to be back to himself soon for sens to make the playoffs. Sucks when the players can't play to their potential due to issues outside their control like injuries.

The analytics crowd getting excited, they've been biding their time and know that the sens suck not because anything changed. EK was this bad the entire time/Andy was just lucky. etc.

Bruin4Life

Nov 6, 2006
When is it acceptable to start tagging the sens fans who were saying " when he pots one the flood gates will open"

There's that saying, why change something if it's working. You guys done messed up A-Aron

Reactions: DriveFor9th

SmoggyTwinkles

Go Leafs Go
Aug 5, 2010
Oshawa
www.bing.com
This is a team that shocked everyone by taking the Penguins to double overtime of Game 7 of the ECF. Karlsson looked like the best player in the world, Anderson looked unbeatable, the system was tight and effective (the only criticism opposing fans had against it was that it was "boring").

Now they look like one of the worst teams in the league, if not THE worst. Every forward can't get anything going on offense, their defense is a mess, Karlsson looks like a 40 year old washed up has-been, Anderson and Condon are sieves, and Boucher's once effective and annoying system is now nowhere to be seen.

I have no idea about why the Sens are bad. But I remember being annoyed playing them because of their system and thinking "there is just no way a team can keep that up. Just no way guys are going to come to work every day and actually deploy that system like that for a whole year"

It's way too demanding.

Sure if they can get to the playoffs somehow, then sure those guys will go all in on that system, but there's no way they can keep that up in the regular season, and if that's all they got and that's all they're used to playing, it's just going to turn into slop.

You have to have 100% dedication to play that Boucher style and it's just asking too much of a team to buy into that for more than a bit.

torniojaws

Jan 10, 2017
Finland
I seem to remember a trade they made and that involved trading away Turris and getting Duchene. Turris had 9 points in 11 games for Ottawa. Duchene had 2 points in 11 games with Ottawa entering tonight's game and now after tonight's game he has 2 points in 12 games. That trade has had a effect with productivity difference between the two players. It is possible that it also has effected the locker room as well.
And Turris has 12 points in 13 games for NSH :) A very good trade!

Not So Mighty

Enjoy your freedom, you wintertimer.
Aug 2, 2010
Omicron Pesei 8
Hey sorry, that's my bad. I drafted Karlsson in my fantasy league. That's why he sucks and you're losing. Sorry bout that.

P.S. Matthias Duchesne.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad